850W PSU - Seasonic vs Silverstone vs ?

ForgetAboutFreeman

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hello,

I've been putting parts together for a new gaming PC and wanted advice on which 850 watt power supply to get. Here are my specs:

Mobo: Asrock p67 Extreme 6
CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (2x4GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
Video: HIS HD6950 Radeon 2GB
PSU: ??

So far I have two in mind : the Seasonic SS-850HT and the Silverstone Strider Plus 850W.

I noticed that Tom's Hardware used the Seasonic in their $2000 PCs last month so I'm sure they are stable and reliable, but I'm almost leaning towards the Silverstone because I would prefer a modular PSU.

Seasonic SS-850HT
Silverstone Strider Plus 850W

So what do you guys think between these two? Is there third option that is even better price/performance wise?

Thanks in Advance!

I would go with the seasonic. Modular is hit or miss in quality. I had an older model silverstone modular 750w until recently; I couldn't get the cpu fan or case fan to stop turning with my system off, and as other reviewers noted, they often don't have a switch.

ForgetAboutFreeman

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for the quick responses. I had a feeling that Seasonic would probably be the way to go, but it never hurts to ask.

I also came across this Corsair for about the same price as the other two : Corsair TX850.

It looks decent enough, but the last Corsair PSU I bought died after 3 days use and I've been leery of them ever since.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Corsair, Antec, XFX and other high quality companies usually use Seasonic units for their better lines. IIRC the corsair TX HX and AX units are made by seasonic(?).

If i were you, i'd look at the seasonic X units as CB' said.

That Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W (CMPSU-850TXV2) that you linked to is made by Seasonic.

Its semi-modular version, the new CMPSU-850TXM, isn't available on the market yet.