Can I Get Special Privileges?

sonnyg

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I just got a new pc with Windows 7 and got all my old games to run, except for one, Rush for Berlin (2006). I am the administrator. The game pop up says " needs to install additional libraries". When I click on YES, it says "you must have Administrator privileges on your computer". Since I am the administrator how do I get the privileges I need? I think I may have screwed up when I removed other users, except for me. I was trying to get the special priviliges for the administrator for myself. I was going to try to restore the original listed users, but it won't allow me to do that now. It says I don't have the administrative priviliges to do it. I'm not very computer literate, so did I screw it up or is it something easy to fix? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
This is due to the way Windows 7 handles administrator accounts. Even though you log in with your administrator account you are not granted full administrative privileges by default. Usually you will get a User Access Control (UAC) prompt which will elevate your privileges for that particular task. Try running the game as an administrator. Multiple ways to do this are explained here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

Justin Blue

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
An administrator account should have all the privileges just like it did in windows xp. However, the windows security updates is what limits your privileges. I had the same problem. I wasnt allowed to modify things in the windows folder or the program files folder. (which i used to be able to) I went back and uninstalled a few security updates. And i got my privileges back!

Dont bother with the ownership or privileges stuff just simply dont install the "Security Update for Windows". Go back and uninstall them and youll be fine!
ps if you wanna learn some basic coding in windows go to: www.vbscodes.devhub.com (i run this site)

MuddyFunster

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Admin accounts no longer work the same way they did in XP and previous versions of Windows. Since Windows Vista the "admin" account you create during setup or any other "admin" account you create subsequent to setup is an Admin Approval Mode account. The "full administrator" account (for want of a better description is disabled). Any admin approval mode account that is created runs (for the majority of the time) under a standard user access token, this is why you are prompted by UAC to "approve" whatever initiated the prompt.

@ OP as kaa0653 suggests, try launching the game with privilege escalation i.e right click executable, "run as administrator"