Motherboard powers on, then shuts off after a second

springhalo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Mobo: MSI P67A-G65
PSU: Antec 80+ 650w PSU
CPU: i3-2100

I just got the parts for my new computer today, and assembled everything, but when I turned the power on, the fans started, like they had gotten power for a fraction of a second, then stopped. The motherboard lights (the phase notification LEDs) turned on for a second, as did the CPU fan and the PSU fan. Then everything stopped, waited 3 seconds, and happened again.

I checked the voltages on the PSU, and they seem to be fine, and I checked again with nothing but the main power connected to the mobo, and the same thing still happened.

Side note: When I was putting it together, I had it laying on a carpet floor, but the carpet isn't shaggy, just hard and not very static-y in my opinion. Could that have done something to the Mobo? I made sure to not touch any of the open metal components, but it's still a possibility. Any suggestions?

Solution
'Carpet' is indeed not a very good choice for a mb power up check without a case; for heaven's sake, get a piece of cardboard or a tupperware lid of sufficient size for future checks....

No one can accurately guess now if your MB and/or PSU is good....; drop to a single stick of mem, disconnect everything else, and see if the MB/CPU will power up. IF not, try another PSU. Failing that, you might be RMAing a MB, ...if your consience will allow it. :)
'Carpet' is indeed not a very good choice for a mb power up check without a case; for heaven's sake, get a piece of cardboard or a tupperware lid of sufficient size for future checks....

No one can accurately guess now if your MB and/or PSU is good....; drop to a single stick of mem, disconnect everything else, and see if the MB/CPU will power up. IF not, try another PSU. Failing that, you might be RMAing a MB, ...if your consience will allow it. :)

Solution

springhalo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
it was the first cable shown in that tutorial. Thanks a bunch.. But i'm still going to work with antistatic thingies from now on.. Now it's not detecting my HDD! Can those be plugged into 6gb/s ports?