Help me choose a LCD!!!

buntoo

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hello everybody!
I'm thinking of buying a 23" Full HD LCD/LED monitor after using my 17" CRT.

I personally like Samsung XL2370 & PX2370 & BX2331 but unfortunately they're not available in my country.
Except these three models all others are available.

NOw i'm thinking of chosing between Samsung P2370HD or BX2250. But very much confused.
The first one is LCD with 5ms response time,50,000:1 Dynamic contrast & a built in HDTV tuner while the 2nd is an 21.5" LED with 2ms response time and 5M:1 DC. Both are full HD (1080p).

What do you guys think? Which one i should go for?
Is the LED backlighting & 2ms response time a great difference?

Thanks in advance

regards,
buntoo

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Contrast on those things is a total lie, I'm not sure where they pull those numbers from... In short, don't compare.
If you want a tv tuner, then go for the first one, otherwise I would get the bigger of the two.
2ms is nice albeit small difference, whereas LED is really not worth the trouble. Yeah, it consumes less power, but the last LED display I tried (a dell) was total trash. Now I have an ASUS ccfl display.

You will have the same number of pixels on both the 23" and 21.5" monitor, therefore the 21.5 monitor will appear sharper (more pixels per inch). If you have a need for the HD tuner, get the 23" if not I'd get the 21.5" What's the price difference?

How is your eyesight ?? -- 1920x1080 on a 21.5" monitor can make the text pretty small so if your eyes need a bit of help I'd go for the 23" (this more closely matches the 96DPI spec PCs are designed to run at.) but the 21.5 as stated will seem a bit sharper since the pixels are a bit smaller and the 2ms response time would help a bit in gaming - so depends on your preference and the price difference.

I just bought this ACER 23" to replace my 3 year old 21.5" monitor with 1680x1050 res that died and am happy with it for the $139 I paid when it was on sale the other week.

buntoo

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

P2370HD is approx US$340 while BX2250 is @ US$245

I'm not fond of games but i want at least a 23" monitor. TV tuner is not necessary. There is Samsung P2370 available. 23" LCD without DTV tuner but 2ms response time. But it doesn't have any hdmi port so i'm not gonna go for it.
Now personally interested in P2370HD but only a few questions i'm thinking about and comparing it with 21.5" LED BX2250.

Is 5ms slow for routine pc work and for watching movies?
And do LEDbacklights have a great advantage over CCFL used in LCDs?
I'm very picky for accuracy. Will there any kind of ghosting/blur in the 5ms sam lcd like when dragging a window??
What about the black colours? Are they deep black or just dark grey?

scotu

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Both of those are pretty expensive for such a monitor, and they don't even list the type of display it is, making me think it's TN (the cheap/not good kind of generic LCD display type). If I were gonna dump $340 into a monitor, I'd at least make sure it's IPS.

buntoo

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
@scotu Both are TN panels. And electronic equipment is expensive here in my country. I don't know if any IPS monitor is available here and i don't need an IPS anyway. Just confused about the two i mentioned above.... :(

1. The 5ms response time is way faster than is actually needed, i could post all the numbers but just trust me its really not an issue.

2. That's going to be a subjective im afraid. I have a BenQ LED and i like it a lot, to me its that bit brighter and punchier compared to my old one which wasn't LED.

3. I have never noticed such a thing on any of my monitors and they are all 5ms.

4. This is dependant on the actual monitor itself. If the quality matters to you that much then you really and i cant stress this enough really need to go look at both in a shop to compare the difference. This is where the stupid contrast numbers com into it. Some makers quote grey to grey while some are quoting Black to Black but thats with the dynamic contrast enabled.
In general Samsung are a good make so you shouldn't really have much of a quality issue in my opinion.

Mactronix :)