jayhawkstaples

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks to anyone who has advice on what is going on with my system.

I've run through all 22 steps, including multimeter testing, in the "System won't boot/no video output checklist" (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems) with nothing there fixing my issue.

System Specs:
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
CPU: Intel i5 2500K w/stock cooler
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX750W
RAM (x2): Patriot P63 4GB DDR3 PC12800 1600
GPU (x2/SLI): BFG Tech GeForce GTX260 MaxCore 55 (216 Core)
2X 120MM Case Fans (stock w/case)

Backup and known working PSU: OCZ 600SXS

I'm not including the other items of my build as the system won't POST at all with any of the above.

Here are my symptoms:

On power up both case fans start, the cpu fan starts but at a lower speed, and the psu fan starts as well. The LEDs on the motherboard light (all 4 of them). After about 3-4 seconds on, the power goes off. After another 3-4 seconds the system comes back on by itself and this loop continues until I switch off the psu or pull the plug. At no point do I get any POST beeps or video output. It sounds like the cpu fan is only at about half speed (where on almost all systems I've seen, the cpu initially starts at full rpm and then slows down after boot).

What I have tried:

This is first build where I've run into something I haven't found an answer to. After the first time I tried powering up I tore everything down for breadboarding. Set up the m/b on it's box on top of foam and static bag. My first thoughts were PSU/RAM so my first step was to pull the RAM completely to try and get a POST beep. No luck. So I then used one stick of the RAM in each DIMM slot (I did this with both of my RAM sticks) with the same result. Next step was to swap out the psu with one that I know is working, the OCZ600SXS (this psu has been under load for weeks at a time with a Q6600 quad core and single GTX260 with no issues) . Again, same half power/reboot cycle. So now my thinking is the m/b was bad so I RMA'd it and got a replacement. Same issue. Last new thing to replace was the i5 processor which was done today. Same reboot cycle. Before replacing/RMAing anything I reseated all the components/cables and checked to make sure no bent pins, nothing in any of the sockets (lint, etc) with no luck. I've reset the CMOS by pulling the battery, jumpers, and the CMOS button on the I/O panel with no change.

I also hooked the new psu up to my old system and it booted with no issues, so it doesn't appear to be a psu issue.

Any ideas on something that I'm missing? (since I'm the only person I know with a socket 1155 system, I don't have a full known working system that I can go and test the cpu on)

Thanks!
Kris

Solution
Assuming you installed the CPU correctly and all of the power connectors, it's gotta be the motherboard. They could have sent another bad one.

jayhawkstaples

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Yes I did, as well as swapping them and also with no gpu at all trying to get a post beep. Same goes for RAM. My last attempt at powering it on was just with just the cpu and still the low power start and cycling.

jayhawkstaples

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Sorry I was reading off the sticker on the stick. Here's the model # of the RAM I pulled off my account. Patriot Signature Model PSD38G1600K and it's voltage is 1.5V. I know it's cheapo RAM, but I've never had a board/cpu not give me post beeps when I pull the RAM like my current breadboard setup.

jayhawkstaples

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Yes, I have one. It came with the pc case not the board.

jayhawkstaples

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

That's what I'm thinking as well, but it bothers me that two identical new motherboards will have the exact same problem. I even brought the breadboard setup into work today just so I could dismiss a power draw issue at home (ridiculous thought I know) and no luck.

I think I'll RMA this one (again!) but switch to a different model assuming Newegg will let me do that.

jayhawkstaples

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Well just to let those who have replied know...it was the motherboard. So yes, I received two brand new mbs that were both defective with the exact same issue. Upgraded to a ASUS P8P67 Pro-R3 and it booted perfectly on it's first try.

Thanks to everyone who responded and offered help!

mond4uk

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I am having the same issue with the same motherboard. I build the system yesterday and had no problems, was up and running until all of a sudden it crashed during a game. Have took it apart testing each component but nothing works it just keeps rebooting with no post. I have to turn off PSU switch or remove plug to stop the continuous rebooting.

My specs:

MB: MSI P67a
CPU: core i5 2500k
8 GB ram
GPU: 4700GTX
PSU: corsair 750tx

I hope someone out there has an answer to this problem