HP dv6 Notebook Video Issues

milillo99

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Last year I purchased an HP dv6 Notebook PC from Bestbuy. So far it has served me very well. Today I was transporting the computer in my laptop bag which is pretty padded and I accidentaly dropped it about 6 inches off the ground when it the bag slipped off my shoulder while putting it down.

I booted up the computer and the first thing I noticed was the screen that usually is black when it first starts to boot was now red and the Windows 7 logo was all distorted. The computer started up and went into windows and the black parts of my wallpaper were now red and the colors were all distorted. It was not clear at all. It was like this for over an hour as I tried to fix it. I removed the driver and put in a new one. I ran all the diagnostics in the boot up menu and no problems were found. In windows when I click the video card it says working properly.

After being like this for about an hour and a half I looked at the screen and it was back to normal again. A few minutes later and it was messed up again. It bounced back and forth a couple of times and now it's working great. It's been problem free for about a half hour now. I lightly bumped and shaked it and it is still working great.

I'm pretty sure the problem was because of the bump, but the computer was in a very cold car for about an hour and a half today before I brought it back in and started it. The computer didn't feel that cold, in fact it has been much colder and worked fine in the past, so I'm pretty sure this isn't the issue.

In the system menu in control panel it says the warranty started on February 12th, so i'm pretty sure it's still under warranty. I'm worried that the problem will return.

Any suggestions?

thanks for reading and any responses will be appreciated

milillo99

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
This started happening yesterday. Last night and all day today it has been going back and forth between good and bad. Sometimes a restart fixes it, sometimes not. I'm away from home for work and returning tomorrow. I think the warranty is good for a year and it expires next week.

milillo99

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Update. I found the receipt for the laptop and I purchased it in May 2010, so I know I am still good on the warranty. Strange thing is, the problem has not returned for a full week. Not sure how to play this now. Maybe report it as an intermitten problem. I am worried the issue will return

milillo99

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

I'm guessing the warranty is for one year? That would be standard, right? I have to call bestbuy tomorrow and find out. It had the problem for about 4 days and has been perfect since. Been using it a lot too.

thanks for the reply