Rampage IV Formula DRAM LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

doogen

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi guys,

I recently had a problem with my old motherboard, the ASUS P7P55D-E DELUXE, with regards to the DRAM LED being lit continuously.

Before that everything was running fine, then I upgraded to some new ram, G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 and this occured. I tried everything possible, testing single modules in A1 and B1 slots and so on and clearing bios etc, but it still wouldn't boot, no display on monitor. So i tested my old ram but the same thing happens, no boot or display, DRAM led lights up continulousy.

I had a diagnostic test from the local computer techs and they said it was my motherboard and that the ram sockets were dead. Being a 1156 socket board and running the i7 860, it was tough to find a motherboard with the same socket.

So, i bought the rampage iv formula and i7 3820 and kept the same g.skill ripjaws x 1600 ram. I put everything together but the same problem persists...?

Would be great if you guys could help me :)

Just an idea of what i think the problem might be: i had the tech guys test everything, they said that the rams were fine, both the old ones and the new ones and my cpu was fine (the i7 860) and it was my motherboard that was malfunctioning. however, i dont think that they checked my psu. i also read somewhere that the seasonic m12 700w doesnt like the p7p55d motherboard.

Could it be the powersupply unit?

THANKS GUYS!

Solution
First, 650W~750W is recommended with what you posted; calculate yourself - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power Next, PSU lose 20%~25% capacity over just a couple or few years depending on use (duration of peak loads) due to 'electrolytic capacitor aging.'

The HAF 922 is 100% 'regular standoffs' vs pseudo 'punch-out' type which are problematic.

RAM, it is very rare that more than (1) stick fails, but perhaps if there's dirty power from the PSU then they all could be damaged. Never seen (4) sticks fail though unless you have a single Dual Channel kit.

Further, ASUS X79's have been know to have DIMM slot issues.

Problem, if the PSU is indeed damaged then every moment is on it's damaging components!

Therefore, IMO: (1) RMA...
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

SeaSonic makes excellent quality PSU's, but even a Bentley goes to the shop once in a while. I'd need to know more about all of the components and the age of the PSU.

If the MOBO is confirmed as being 'dead' then the warranty still should be in place and ASUS P7P55D-E DELUXE carries a 3 year warranty so IMO contact ASUS and arrange an RMA and if they have one in stock then arrange a 'Cross Ship'.

Info I need: MOBO, CPU, PSU, link(s) to RAM, HSF, Case, etc for both systems -- if you're trying to get both to function.

For now, try (1) stick at a time as shown below and report back.
ASUS_Quad_Channel.gif

doogen

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Thanks Jaquith,

My power supply is probably about 2 years old, it's the Seasonic M12 700W, what model I am unsure of. Also, I've looked in my manual for the Rampage IV Formula and tried the different slots with 1 ram stick and still get the same result, no post, no display and DRAM LED lights continuously.

Yeah my motherboard is still under warranty so I will get that sorted with Asus.

At the moment I'm running:

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Formula BF3 Edition 2011 Socket
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 2011 Socket
Graphics: Asus HD5800 Series (I forget which one, not at home atm)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X
HSF: Corsair H60 Hydro Series
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower

I'm just trying to figure out why both systems, well motherboards to be exact, are suffering the same problem - the DRAM LED is continuously lit.

I know for one that it could of been my fault when I decided to change the ram as my old ones ran different voltage and frequency and I did forget to clear the BIOS. But, the tech guys confirmed that the rams were fine and the motherboard was dead - so that's why I bought the new mobo and cpu and heatsink (cpu didnt come with the stock intel heatsink as it recommended water cooling) to run a new system with the same case, graphics card and psu.

But now, the same issue occurs with the new motherboard, which I don't get. I tested with different hard drives and graphics card, but it didnt change the result. The only things that haven't been tested is the psu and the case (incase usb ports etc are causing power failures to the ram).

Hope the additional information can help you help me diagnose the problem :D

First, 650W~750W is recommended with what you posted; calculate yourself - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power Next, PSU lose 20%~25% capacity over just a couple or few years depending on use (duration of peak loads) due to 'electrolytic capacitor aging.'

The HAF 922 is 100% 'regular standoffs' vs pseudo 'punch-out' type which are problematic.

RAM, it is very rare that more than (1) stick fails, but perhaps if there's dirty power from the PSU then they all could be damaged. Never seen (4) sticks fail though unless you have a single Dual Channel kit.

Further, ASUS X79's have been know to have DIMM slot issues.

Problem, if the PSU is indeed damaged then every moment is on it's damaging components!

Therefore, IMO: (1) RMA the RAM, you might be able to request a 'Cross Ship', and (2) RMA the SeaSonic PSU and ditto a 'Cross Ship' or if out of warranty then get at least a 750W~850W PSU depending upon you 'GPU plans'. Either SeaSonic, Corsair, or Enermax all are high quality.

Solution

doogen

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

It's very likely that the PSU is the problem then, or case, because everything else was tested and seemed to working fine, unless the the tech guys diagnosed the motherboard as being faulty when actually it was the PSU? I hope this isn't the case because I went out to buy the new motherboard, cpu and heatsink costing about $800 because of the diagnostic as the 1156 sockets are phased out and are hell to find.

But, anyway, I'll give them a call and ask again and have them run tests on my PSU, the Rampage IV, cpu and such again. What a giant hassle, all starting from wanting an upgrade of ram.

Thanks for your help so far Jaquith, very much appreciated!

doogen

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Hey mate,

Sorry for the late reply. My computer is all up and running now.
The initial problem was the ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe motherboard as the DIMM sockets fried. So with the replacement, the Rampage IV is fine, but the CPU that I bought was faulty and it was replaced, so all is good.

Thanks for your help my man,

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.