Cannot get my HD set up to display correctly, Help

n0ka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hello, yesterday i installed a brand new XFX radeon HD5450 card, the main purpose of this is so i could have a nice sharp HD display on my pc, I recently got myself a 32 inch toshiba HDTV and needed a graphics card to get the most from my new display, after installing all the latest drivers and the catalyst control centre from the XFX website i swapped over to the HDMI connection and the picture was just not nice at all,no matter what i changed the resolution to i could not get a sharp display, i was up til 4 am going through all the settings in the catalyst control centre and i could not get it sorted, text and pictures where fuzzy and hard to read, I am now reverted back to VGA with a nice resolution and a sharp display but i want my HD to work, i thought it would have been as simple as installing the card and switching it on, i am running windows 7 64 bit with 8gb of ram and a phenom 9950 quad core cpu, i dont know what to do now other than re-install the card but im not sure that would solve it, anyone else that i know with a similar set up said it worked fine with them through a HDMI connection...any help is appreciated a lot....

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
If you aren't sending audio over, you don't have to use the HDMI cable. The vga cable will send the same quality. If you are sending audio, however, you'll have to use HDMI as vga doesn't send audio over.

n0ka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
is the VGA not analogue and HDMI digital..the VGA displays nicely on my tv, i thought that the hdmi would have been better?

thanks for the answer

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Oh its vga not dvi? I don't know for sure but some say DVI can send HD just like HDMI but VGA cannot, even if you convert it. I don't know this for sure though.

I'm not expert with HDTV setups so I can't help much with the HDMI issue. Your card doesn't have a DVI output?

n0ka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

yea it has a dvi output and i know that the dvi is full HD, i will try an adaptor, dvi to hdmi or a dvi to hdmi cable and see if this helps..

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Oh also in your Catalyst Control Center, there are some settings for HDTVs. Try checking those out. Usually it is an issue where the HDTV isn't exactly 1080p, or at least when connected to a computer via HDMI the settings aren't exactly matching. CCC will help you configure it properly when you go into it.