Graphics Card Bracket Fit Help

kw298

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hello, I am trying to upgrade from the ATI 5450 to the GTX 460. The 460 fits fine in the case, however the bracket does not fit. At the bottom of the 460 bracket there are 2 prongs, however at the "slot" in the case where these would be inserted only has a single prong (which is what the 5450 has). This is my first component upgrade so I have no idea what to do. Any help? Thanks!!!

kw298

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Sure. The card I bought is this below. As you can see, at the bottom of the card bracket there are 2 prongs.

GeForce_GTX_460_3qtr.jpg

Below you will see a different version of the 5450 that I have. But the prong is the same, of which there is only 1 at the bottom of the bracket. My case (Dell XPS 8300) has a "slot" to receive this size of prong.

ati-radeon-hd-5450_large.jpg

kw298

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Holy crap, I think I'm just an idiot. The 2 prongs are for the fact that the card takes up TWO SLOTS. I don't recall it aligning that way though. I was able to put the new card into the PCIe 16 slot, but the bracket prongs didn't seem to be aligned...

Jeez. I will try again when I get back into the case.

Thanks!

(Again, just my first time to do some DIY stuff...sorry! :))

Helltech

Distinguished
Ahh, I see what you mean, you went from a single slot to dual slot, so you are trying to put the gTX 460 in the bottom slot? It should go in the top slot, which would give you enough.

And according to this, you have an AGP slot, not a PCI-e slot, so that graphics card you have now won't fit there,.

kw298

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
The 5450 is a PCIe 16, so the GTX460 should fit in the same slot that I am removing the 5450 from. Correct? I should have specified the Dell STUDIO XPS 8300. Only been out a couple months and has 1 PCIe 16 and 3 PCIe 1 slots...

Thanks for the quick replies.

Helltech

Distinguished
OHHH sorry, I was looking at the wrong dell then, yeah there is a difference, the manual I'm looking at is for something old. :p

Well without even looking at it, I should be able to tell you the GTX 460 goes in the PCI-e 16 slot, which is the TOP slot. Why would there not be room?

Helltech

Distinguished

There ya go :p

TRENDING THREADS