Sign in with
Your question

General Help before I start replacing my old motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 15, 2012 7:24:01 PM

I have reached the limitation of my ASUS M4 TD-V EVO board and I have already purchased an AMD Sabertooth 990fx board. (Also have a pair of 4gig Kingston stick for the saber board.) I've been upgrading my computer piece by over the last month, and once I got to the memory i found out that two of the memory slots don 't work. Spent two hours at computer shop going down the list of memory trying to get it to work and another 2 hours on the phone with ASUS.

I am currently running AMD Phenom II 975 x4 Black Edition CPU with GIEL Cooler, EVGA GeForce 560 Ti 2GB Graphic Card, 4GB of Ram, Windows 7 64.

I just picked up an ANTEC D-85 Dark Fleet Tower, along with the Sabertooth Motherboard, that I wanting to rebuild my system in. After reading through the instruction for the Sabertooth board I kind of feel this maybe a little out of my league. I've never messed with my bios before, even though my current rig was built at a local computer shop 4 years ago and I've been doing gaming off and on over the past few years.
I've been reading forums from several different websites over the last day or so and I'm thinking it may be easier to take it to a computer shop and let them over charge me for the hour or two it actually takes them to change all this over. On the other hand, I've gotten this far without asking for help and my current system is running good, a little warm, but I'm guessing its the case as well. However, I just don't like the fact that when running the new Star Wars Games I have widget that tells me my computer stats and temps. and according to it, I'm using 95 to 98% of my memory when I'm running the game and have mumble going in the back ground. I'm assuming in the future there are going to be other programs made that I'll want to run in the back ground for the game and it's been picking at me for the last few weeks.

Anyways, all I have done so far is back up my data using the windows 7 program and download what I think was the latest Bios from ASUS on a portable hard drive. Is there anything else I need to do before I completely take my computer apart? Is there any problems I could run into, that I need to be aware of beforehand? (I do have my Windows 7 Disk and have read about having to redo my key or a fresh install.)
What will except to see when I first boot up my computer once I get it all together in the new case?
When I click on the Bios Download from ASUS off my hard drive will that generally take over and do its thing with a few clicks of next and yes I agree?
Can somebody give me a little walk through of what to except while doing all this? The instruction from ASUS talks as if I'm building and installing OS for the first time. Nothing on, "If your upgrading your system to this board you should do...."

Sorry for probably what seem to be stupid questions, I've never replaced or even seen anybody replace or mess with their motherboard. I also apologize ahead time if there is similar posting that match mine or I've posted in the wrong place.

Last question a little off subject. My current power supply hums. You can hear my computer all through the house and if you know what you are listening for you can hear it outside. I currently have 650 watt power supply. Can anybody reccomend a power supply that makes little to no noise? And if I'm thinking in the future of going to a FX6 or FX8 core do I need at looking at purchasing a higher watt power supply now?
March 15, 2012 9:52:42 PM

[quoteAnyways, all I have done so far is back up my data using the windows 7 program and download what I think was the latest Bios from ASUS on a portable hard drive. Is there anything else I need to do before I completely take my computer apart? Is there any problems I could run into, that I need to be aware of beforehand? (I do have my Windows 7 Disk and have read about having to redo my key or a fresh install.)][/quote]

Would it just be easier to buy a new hard drive and load windows 7 on it? Once I get it up, add my old harddrive to my completely new system?
m
l
Related resources
!