Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Using a mix of pc3 12800 and pc3 10666

Last response: in Memory
March 15, 2012 7:34:36 PM

Can I use a mix of pc3 12800 (G.SKILL 2x4G 9-9-9-24-2N) and pc3 10666 (OCZ 2x1G 9-9-9-26) on the same motherboard? My motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H. CPU: AMD Phenom II 560 unlocked to B60. OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Please advise.

Willie

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 8:18:31 PM

You "can", but it may cause major instability. It is good to have the same manufacturer and revision, but if you set them both down to the lowest settings, for example, 1333, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v or whatever the slowest is specced for, they should run fine. I wouldn't run a pair with 1600 and another iwth 1333 though.
March 15, 2012 9:02:33 PM

HostileDonut said:
You "can", but it may cause major instability. It is good to have the same manufacturer and revision, but if you set them both down to the lowest settings, for example, 1333, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v or whatever the slowest is specced for, they should run fine. I wouldn't run a pair with 1600 and another iwth 1333 though.

Thanks for your response. Is it better to run with more rams at a lower settings or less rams at a higher settings? Is the speed of pc3 12800 and pc3 10666 make a very big difference?
Score
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 9:50:04 PM

tirasong said:
Thanks for your response. Is it better to run with more rams at a lower settings or less rams at a higher settings? Is the speed of pc3 12800 and pc3 10666 make a very big difference?

It's not about the amount and speed, it is just about what is it rated for. You can run a lot of very fast ram, or a small amount of slow, or vice versa. It doesn't make a difference. The thing is, running different memory speeds can cause instability because if you try running the slower RAM at higher speeds, it may not be stable. If you run them both @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9-26 timings, they should run fine. If you are just gaming though, I would run the 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 kit without the OCZ set. The speed won't be that much of a difference, but you are losing performance with the 1333 9-9-9-26 set over the 1600 9-9-9-24 kit. Like I said, 8gb is more than enough if you are just gaming and surfing the web, but if you are video editing I would run them both at 1333 9-9-9-26 so you can get 10gb instead of 8gb.
Score
March 15, 2012 10:16:11 PM

HostileDonut said:
It's not about the amount and speed, it is just about what is it rated for. You can run a lot of very fast ram, or a small amount of slow, or vice versa. It doesn't make a difference. The thing is, running different memory speeds can cause instability because if you try running the slower RAM at higher speeds, it may not be stable. If you run them both @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9-26 timings, they should run fine. If you are just gaming though, I would run the 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 kit without the OCZ set. The speed won't be that much of a difference, but you are losing performance with the 1333 9-9-9-26 set over the 1600 9-9-9-24 kit. Like I said, 8gb is more than enough if you are just gaming and surfing the web, but if you are video editing I would run them both at 1333 9-9-9-26 so you can get 10gb instead of 8gb.

Sorry for the typo...should be (pc3 12800 (G.SKILL 2x2G 9-9-9-24-2N)) instead of 2x4G. So, in total I've 6G of rams. I am mostly doing video conversion from rmvb or mp4 to Divx avi to play on the TV. I am a 71 years old guy and not a gamer; I don't play any games on my PC. I am glad you care to show this old dog some new tricks. I would like to try some OC's but don't know enough as to what to tweaks...may be you can answer some questions later on in layman's terms...and thanks.

So, for video conversions, 6G of rams is better than 4G?
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 10:22:21 PM

Nah, you should be able to do video conversations like Skype with 4gb RAM. You can check RAM usage by using Task Manager in Windows, and if RAM usage gets high, just pop in the 2gb more RAM, set the correct voltage, 9-9-9-26 timings, and 1333Mhz speed. What CPU do you have? If you have a Sandy Bridge CPU, don't go past 1.65v on the memory voltage though.

No Problem! I can tell how to to OC is you would like, but if the system was not built by you, chances are you cannot because the settings in the BIOS are most likely locked. Also, overclocking can break things, so you have to be careful and not take it too fast. It does take patience. :) 

If you would like for me to teach you, I would like to know what PSU, Motherboard, CPU, and cooling you have. :) 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 10:28:04 PM

the faster ram should automatically slow down to match the slower speed ram. You "shouldn't" have to do anything else. Yes, for video conversion, more ram is better, but more importantly, a faster processor is better.
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 10:30:13 PM

egilbe said:
the faster ram should automatically slow down to match the slower speed ram. You "shouldn't" have to do anything else. Yes, for video conversion, more ram is better, but more importantly, a faster processor is better.

If he has his 1600Mhz RAM set in the BIOS, it will take all the memory in the board and run it at 1600Mhz, so he should make sure it is set to 1333 if he plans on running them together. If it's on auto, yeah, it will probably just run them at the lowest.
Score
March 15, 2012 11:00:27 PM

Nah, Dosent Matter What You Use, It Will Run Fine, And Theres A Point Where Faster Speed RAM Dosent Really Matter.

However, It Depends On The CPU, The AMD A-Series Chips APUs Perform Better With Faster RAM, The Faster The Better, But Most Non-APU AMD Chips Form Example Prefer Low Latency Over Speed. DDR3-1600 With The Lowest Lateny You Can Obtain Is The Sweet-Spot For Any Non-APU CPU, Mixing RAM Will Also Make No Differance The Faster RAMs Latency And Speed Will Simply Slow To Match The Other Stick, Have Done It In Several Machines Without Problems.

My Last Machine Was Running 6GB - 2x 2GB DDR2-1066 CAS6 And 2x 1GB DDR2-800 CAS5 Never Had An Issue.
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2012 11:22:45 PM

hella-d said:
Nah, Dosent Matter What You Use, It Will Run Fine, And Theres A Point Where Faster Speed RAM Dosent Really Matter.

However, It Depends On The CPU, The AMD A-Series Chips APUs Perform Better With Faster RAM, The Faster The Better, But Most Non-APU AMD Chips Form Example Prefer Low Latency Over Speed. DDR3-1600 With The Lowest Lateny You Can Obtain Is The Sweet-Spot For Any Non-APU CPU, Mixing RAM Will Also Make No Differance The Faster RAMs Latency And Speed Will Simply Slow To Match The Other Stick, Have Done It In Several Machines Without Problems.

My Last Machine Was Running 6GB - 2x 2GB DDR2-1066 CAS6 And 2x 1GB DDR2-800 CAS5 Never Had An Issue.

^+1

But keep in mind that it can cause instability. Just make sure you don't run the slower sticks at the higher sticks ratings, because most likely it won't work.
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 1:04:39 AM

HostileDonut said:
^+1

But keep in mind that it can cause instability. Just make sure you don't run the slower sticks at the higher sticks ratings, because most likely it won't work.

Most BIOS's are set to automatically check the speed on the SPD and run the ram accordingly. He's already said he's 71 and unlikely to get in and manually set the ram timings. In this particular instance, the chance of running ram out of spec are extremely low :lol: 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 1:36:28 AM

egilbe said:
Most BIOS's are set to automatically check the speed on the SPD and run the ram accordingly. He's already said he's 71 and unlikely to get in and manually set the ram timings. In this particular instance, the chance of running ram out of spec are extremely low :lol: 

Well he also said he would be into overclocking, so to me it sounds like he can change a couple of RAM values.
Score
March 16, 2012 2:31:19 AM

HostileDonut said:
Nah, you should be able to do video conversations like Skype with 4gb RAM. You can check RAM usage by using Task Manager in Windows, and if RAM usage gets high, just pop in the 2gb more RAM, set the correct voltage, 9-9-9-26 timings, and 1333Mhz speed. What CPU do you have? If you have a Sandy Bridge CPU, don't go past 1.65v on the memory voltage though.

No Problem! I can tell how to to OC is you would like, but if the system was not built by you, chances are you cannot because the settings in the BIOS are most likely locked. Also, overclocking can break things, so you have to be careful and not take it too fast. It does take patience. :) 

If you would like for me to teach you, I would like to know what PSU, Motherboard, CPU, and cooling you have. :) 

I mostly convert videos from rmvb or mpeg4 to Divx avi formats to be burned on CDs/DVDs for playing on TV.

Yes, I do build my own computer.

PSU: CMPSU-400CX (Corsair CX400W Power Supply)
Motherboard: GA-880GA-UD3H (Gigabyte)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 560 (unlocked to X4 B60) 3.3GHZ
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series PC12800 (2x2GB) 1600MHZ
Memory: OCZ Gold Dual Channel PC10666 (2x1GB) 1333MHz (extra/unused memory on hand)
Cooler: Gemini II with 2 120mm fans

I must have built about 10 computers for myself and friends.

Yes, I do know how to enter and do Bios settings and load OS's. :wahoo: 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 3:04:54 AM

Alright, if 4gb is enough RAM for you, then overclocking does work better with only 2 RAM slots being occupied.

You have a CPU multiplier and base clock. That is what gives you your CPU speed, base clock (base clock = front side bus or FSB) x the multiplier. Your base clock is 200Mhz, as all modern AMD CPUs run with a 200Mhz FSB, but has a multiplier of, you guessed it, 16.5! Why? Because 200Mhz x a 16.5 multiplier gives you 3300Mhz, or 3.3Ghz. You have a black edition CPU, which means the multiplier is unlocked, which is great because messing with the FSB also changes RAM speeds because the RAM also has it's own multiplier. So, when you have 1600mhz RAM and a 200Mhz FSB, your RAM has a 8 multiplier. Change the FSB, it will tune your CPU and RAM! That is why changing just the multiplier is nice because you don't have to worry about anything, it just effects the CPU. :) 

Please have these utilities: CPU-Z, Prime95, and Hardware Monitor. CPU-Z tells CPU voltage, speeds, and some other good stuff, Hardware Monitor tells heat, voltages, and much much more like fan speeds etc. Prime 95 will stress your CPU to make sure it has a stable overclock.

Now, let's set some boundaries! :) 

1. Your voltage should not go beyond 1.425v on the VCore! (I would keep it under 1.38v for safety)

2. Your heat (In Celsius) should not exceed 70C! When testing, 80C is acceptable, but for 24/7 use, I would like to keep it in the 50s- low 60s.

3. Please, know how to reset a CMOS in case anything goes wrong!

Your motherboard is not a board meant for any extreme overclocking, so don't go too hard on it, it may break. You have to realize that overclocking is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing!!!

Now to the good stuff!

Go into your BIOS and set your RAM to 1333Mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings because Phenom II CPUs do prefer 1333Mhz RAM sticks because there memory controller is fragile. If they are 1.5v DIMMs, set them to 1.5v, if they are 1.65v set them to 1.65v, etc. I wouldn't go past 1.7v though.

Now for tuning the CPU! :D  You will change your multiplier up with increments of 1 to give it a 200Mhz boost. Boot into Windows until you get crashes or achieve the OC you want. Because you are new to overclocking, I would shoot for 3.6Ghz for now. So, to get 3.6Ghz, you will need an 18 multiplier, but you don't want to just jump to 18! Go to 17 form 16.5 to give you 3.4Ghz, then boot into windows. VCore comes in handy when you get a crash. Push up the voltage on the Vcore slightly (.001-.005v) to get it stable. Then see if it boots. Once you get to 3.6Ghz (or whatever you would like, but I still suggest 3.6Ghz for starting), stress test it for 6+ hours with Prime 95. Open CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor to check temps/voltages. Again, make sure temps do not exceed 80C while testing! For voltage, I would keep it under 1.38v for long life!

I use offset voltage and not fixed so that I don't run a high voltage through my CPU at all times. I would do the same if I were you. Set the offset voltage so that it will add the voltage when needed, but lower down when it is not. You should also disable AMD Cool N Quiet, but you may be able to get it stable without doing that.

That is just an outline of overclocking and not everything you need to know to push it far. Here is a forum sticky which will help too: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...

It't not my fault if anything goes wrong though. ;) 
Score
March 16, 2012 4:23:52 AM

HostileDonut said:
Alright, if 4gb is enough RAM for you, then overclocking does work better with only 2 RAM slots being occupied.

You have a CPU multiplier and base clock. That is what gives you your CPU speed, base clock (base clock = front side bus or FSB) x the multiplier. Your base clock is 200Mhz, as all modern AMD CPUs run with a 200Mhz FSB, but has a multiplier of, you guessed it, 16.5! Why? Because 200Mhz x a 16.5 multiplier gives you 3300Mhz, or 3.3Ghz. You have a black edition CPU, which means the multiplier is unlocked, which is great because messing with the FSB also changes RAM speeds because the RAM also has it's own multiplier. So, when you have 1600mhz RAM and a 200Mhz FSB, your RAM has a 8 multiplier. Change the FSB, it will tune your CPU and RAM! That is why changing just the multiplier is nice because you don't have to worry about anything, it just effects the CPU. :) 

Please have these utilities: CPU-Z, Prime95, and Hardware Monitor. CPU-Z tells CPU voltage, speeds, and some other good stuff, Hardware Monitor tells heat, voltages, and much much more like fan speeds etc. Prime 95 will stress your CPU to make sure it has a stable overclock.

Now, let's set some boundaries! :) 

1. Your voltage should not go beyond 1.425v on the VCore! (I would keep it under 1.38v for safety)

2. Your heat (In Celsius) should not exceed 70C! When testing, 80C is acceptable, but for 24/7 use, I would like to keep it in the 50s- low 60s.

3. Please, know how to reset a CMOS in case anything goes wrong!

Your motherboard is not a board meant for any extreme overclocking, so don't go too hard on it, it may break. You have to realize that overclocking is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing!!!

Now to the good stuff!

Go into your BIOS and set your RAM to 1333Mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings because Phenom II CPUs do prefer 1333Mhz RAM sticks because there memory controller is fragile. If they are 1.5v DIMMs, set them to 1.5v, if they are 1.65v set them to 1.65v, etc. I wouldn't go past 1.7v though.

Now for tuning the CPU! :D  You will change your multiplier up with increments of 1 to give it a 200Mhz boost. Boot into Windows until you get crashes or achieve the OC you want. Because you are new to overclocking, I would shoot for 3.6Ghz for now. So, to get 3.6Ghz, you will need an 18 multiplier, but you don't want to just jump to 18! Go to 17 form 16.5 to give you 3.4Ghz, then boot into windows. VCore comes in handy when you get a crash. Push up the voltage on the Vcore slightly (.001-.005v) to get it stable. Then see if it boots. Once you get to 3.6Ghz (or whatever you would like, but I still suggest 3.6Ghz for starting), stress test it for 6+ hours with Prime 95. Open CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor to check temps/voltages. Again, make sure temps do not exceed 80C while testing! For voltage, I would keep it under 1.38v for long life!

I use offset voltage and not fixed so that I don't run a high voltage through my CPU at all times. I would do the same if I were you. Set the offset voltage so that it will add the voltage when needed, but lower down when it is not. You should also disable AMD Cool N Quiet, but you may be able to get it stable without doing that.

That is just an outline of overclocking and not everything you need to know to push it far. Here is a forum sticky which will help too: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...

It't not my fault if anything goes wrong though. ;) 

Thank you very much for showing me all these good stuffs. I am only trying to get my feet wet...by learning how to do it...am probably satisfied to get 3.6Ghz stable on auto vcore voltage and nothing more. It probably will take me a while to test these multiplier increments at .5 each time to get to 3.6Ghz...so don't hold your breath... :lol: 
Instead of CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor, can I use AIDA64 to monitor the voltages, fan speeds, temperatures, etc... :lol: 
I have tested my computer with Prime95 on several prior occasions without fully understand the parameter settings...may be you can show me a simple guide to do that?.. :wahoo: 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 1:04:44 PM

tirasong said:
Thank you very much for showing me all these good stuffs. I am only trying to get my feet wet...by learning how to do it...am probably satisfied to get 3.6Ghz stable on auto vcore voltage and nothing more. It probably will take me a while to test these multiplier increments at .5 each time to get to 3.6Ghz...so don't hold your breath... :lol: 
Instead of CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor, can I use AIDA64 to monitor the voltages, fan speeds, temperatures, etc... :lol: 
I have tested my computer with Prime95 on several prior occasions without fully understand the parameter settings...may be you can show me a simple guide to do that?.. :wahoo: 

Now just to be clear, you don't have to test it with Prime 95 every time you boot, just once you hit what the clock you want. Auto Vcore can overvolt the CPU, e.g. giving the CPU 1.35v when it would be perfectly happy with 1.3v. I would use offset, but you may be able to get 3.6 on stock voltage, which would be nice. Your CPU is a C2 stepping one, so the sweet spot for that CPU should be around 3.6-3.8Ghz. 4Ghz would be difficult, so I doubt you will get there especially with that board.

As for Prime 95 settings, like it says, small FFTs tests small amounts of data, large FFTs will give you a high heat and power consumption and really stress, and blend test is some of each, but tests your a lot of RAM to make sure it is stable too. I do blend test for 6-8 hours.
Score
March 16, 2012 3:04:46 PM

Thanks guys, for all your helps...this will keep me busy for a while.
Will request for more assistances as needed...Thanks
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 3:15:25 PM

tirasong said:
Thanks guys, for all your helps...this will keep me busy for a while.
Will request for more assistances as needed...Thanks

No problem! :) 
Score
March 16, 2012 6:48:12 PM

HostileDonut said:
No problem! :) 

This may sound stupid...but how do you set offsets in Bios? I can't find OFFSETs in the Bios :wahoo: 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 7:03:14 PM

tirasong said:
This may sound stupid...but how do you set offsets in Bios? I can't find OFFSETs in the Bios :wahoo: 

Hm, you may not have the option. :??: 

Under the VCore settings there should be 2 or three settings. Auto VCore is always there for one setting, and then there should be a fixed/manual and maybe you just don't have an offset. If you can't go with offset, I go for auto and see what it gives you first because I don't like running high voltages through my CPU when I don't need it.
Score
March 17, 2012 5:07:07 PM

HostileDonut said:
Hm, you may not have the option. :??: 

Under the VCore settings there should be 2 or three settings. Auto VCore is always there for one setting, and then there should be a fixed/manual and maybe you just don't have an offset. If you can't go with offset, I go for auto and see what it gives you first because I don't like running high voltages through my CPU when I don't need it.

Well, here we go. I have set my 1600Mhz G.SKILL 9-9-9-24 (2x2Gb) Rams to 1333Mhz at 9-9-9-24 in the Bios as you suggested. And push the multipliers incrementally up to 19X to attain 3.8Ghz and incremented Vcore Voltage up to 1.375v and during normal operations still crashes randomly and frequently. As I do not want to push the voltage any higher and would be perfectly happy with 3.6Gz. I reduce to 3.6Ghz and tried Auto voltage and still crashes during Prime95. So, at 3.6Ghz I set Vcore Voltage manually incrementally up to 1.3v and ran Prime95 with one crash and auto restarted while I took a break. Again, at 3.6Ghz I increment Vcore Voltage to 1.325v and rerun Prime95 and reach temp of low 50c quite stable until I start to do other stuffs like surfing the Web and it crash again.

Here's some questions: Should I disable screensaver and turn-off display and not doing other stuffs during Prime95 stress test? Or, should I increment the Vcore Voltage to 1.350v or 1.375v? My Bios increment Vcore Voltage by .025v so I cannot make smaller increments.

What are the likely causes of these crashes...not enough voltages? Is it worth it to run at higher voltages?

Should I default the CPU back to X2 cores and tried OC's again? What would you do if you were me? Increases other voltages; namely Ram voltage from stock of 1.5v, etc. What other settings can I change safely so Prime95 won't crash? :lol: 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2012 6:02:50 PM

tirasong said:
Well, here we go. I have set my 1600Mhz G.SKILL 9-9-9-24 (2x2Gb) Rams to 1333Mhz at 9-9-9-24 in the Bios as you suggested. And push the multipliers incrementally up to 19X to attain 3.8Ghz and incremented Vcore Voltage up to 1.375v and during normal operations still crashes randomly and frequently. As I do not want to push the voltage any higher and would be perfectly happy with 3.6Gz. I reduce to 3.6Ghz and tried Auto voltage and still crashes during Prime95. So, at 3.6Ghz I set Vcore Voltage manually incrementally up to 1.3v and ran Prime95 with one crash and auto restarted while I took a break. Again, at 3.6Ghz I increment Vcore Voltage to 1.325v and rerun Prime95 and reach temp of low 50c quite stable until I start to do other stuffs like surfing the Web and it crash again.

Here's some questions: Should I disable screensaver and turn-off display and not doing other stuffs during Prime95 stress test? Or, should I increment the Vcore Voltage to 1.350v or 1.375v? My Bios increment Vcore Voltage by .025v so I cannot make smaller increments.

What are the likely causes of these crashes...not enough voltages? Is it worth it to run at higher voltages?

Should I default the CPU back to X2 cores and tried OC's again? What would you do if you were me? Increases other voltages; namely Ram voltage from stock of 1.5v, etc. What other settings can I change safely so Prime95 won't crash? :lol: 

3.8Ghz just might be pushin' it be a C2 stepping chip. I think you can make 3.6Ghz work though. I feel extra secure when I can surf the web and run Prime95 at the same time, but running Prime95 alone and using a different computer to surf the web while it is running is a good idea.

Most crashes are because of not enough voltage. I would pump the voltage to 1.35v and see how it works. Also, auto might work, it should just add voltage as needed, but sometimes it overvolts. That is why I am kinda scared to use it.

Also, like you said, you unlocked the CPU, which may cause instability. That will take more power to run the CPU because of twice the cores. Try disabling cores if you can't get 3.6Ghz @ 1.35v and see what you can do.
Score
March 18, 2012 3:43:16 PM

Hi there, it's little old me again. What about "CPU NorthBridge Freq" and other settings...can I change any beside what I already changed (CPU multiplier, Ram speed, Vcore voltage, etc.) to make the computer more stable? I will attempt more Prime95 stress test with incremental Vcore voltage from 1.3v up to 1.35v at 3.6Ghz as you suggested to see what's the best voltage. Thanks for answering.
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2012 5:48:28 PM

You could take the the NB up a little and that can make stability a little better, but I wouldn't go past a couple hundred more Mhz on it.

How long did Prime last with 1.35v?
Score
March 18, 2012 7:05:53 PM

HostileDonut said:
You could take the the NB up a little and that can make stability a little better, but I wouldn't go past a couple hundred more Mhz on it.

How long did Prime last with 1.35v?

What Xn should I start with NB? (X5)? I am Prime95 stress test with 3.6Ghz with auto Ram speed at 1600Mhz instead of 1333Mhz as you suggested and Vcore voltage 1.3v and still going strong from 10:00am today. Any other suggestions? :sweat:  :lol: 
Temperature peak at 55c but room temp is about 58c to 60c. :wahoo: 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2012 7:12:17 PM

tirasong said:
What Xn should I start with NB? (X5)? I am Prime95 stress test with 3.6Ghz with auto Ram speed at 1600Mhz instead of 1333Mhz as you suggested and Vcore voltage 1.3v and still going strong from 10:00am today. Any other suggestions? :sweat:  :lol: 
Temperature peak at 55c but room temp is about 58c to 60c. :wahoo: 

Okay, sounds good if the RAM is stable and the CPU seems to be stable with it. :) 

The NB should not be raised to much higher than what it is. So maybe x1 more to give you a 200Mhz speed increase. I would leave it at that.

Well, your CPU has to be hotter than 55C if your ambient temp is higher than that. Your CPU's lowest temp can only be as low as the ambient temp if that makes sense.

Where do you live? 10:00AM over there may be different from 10:00AM where I live.

With a Vcore of 1.3v and still going strong without any crashes is a pretty good sign. Have you disabled those 2 cores or are you achieving this with all 4 cores? If all four, you have a pretty decent performance boost out of a dual core CPU.
Score
March 18, 2012 8:21:49 PM

HostileDonut said:
Okay, sounds good if the RAM is stable and the CPU seems to be stable with it. :) 

The NB should not be raised to much higher than what it is. So maybe x1 more to give you a 200Mhz speed increase. I would leave it at that.

Well, your CPU has to be hotter than 55C if your ambient temp is higher than that. Your CPU's lowest temp can only be as low as the ambient temp if that makes sense.

Where do you live? 10:00AM over there may be different from 10:00AM where I live.

With a Vcore of 1.3v and still going strong without any crashes is a pretty good sign. Have you disabled those 2 cores or are you achieving this with all 4 cores? If all four, you have a pretty decent performance boost out of a dual core CPU.

I will try the NB at x1 when I got a chance. I see what you are saying but AIDA64 Extreme Edition shows CPU max temp of 55c, what can I said! In warmer weather the CPU temp should be hotter, hope it'll still be below 60c?
I live in Southern California; where do you live? What's your nick name? Can I call you sometime? I know that you are just a kid but know a lot more about computer than I do and hope I can call you for helps. Care to share phone number or Skype ID?
I run Prime95 with all 4 cores at 3.6Ghz for about 4 hours now; probably let it run for another 4 hours till about 6:00pm.
If no crashes with Prime95. I still can get crashes during normal heavy multi-tasking videos conversions, surfing, playing movies, word processings, etc. Right? :sweat:  :lol: 
Score
March 18, 2012 8:47:38 PM

Sorry to misled you...I am not thinking clearly. The room temperature I gave should be about 58F to 60F.
58 degree Fahrenheit = 14.4444444 degree Celsius
So, the CPU temp being 55c to 56c is way hotter than 15c room temp.
Score
March 19, 2012 12:11:48 AM

Here's the Prime95 Stress Test result:

[Mar 18 18:00] Self-test 576K passed!
[Mar 18 18:00] Test 1, 560000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M212991 using AMD K10 type-0 FFT length 10K, Pass1=40, Pass2=256.
[Mar 18 18:01] Test 2, 560000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M210415 using AMD K10 type-0 FFT length 10K, Pass1=40, Pass2=256.
[Mar 18 18:02] Torture Test completed 365 tests in 8 hours, 8 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
[Mar 18 18:02] Worker stopped.
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 1:10:02 AM

Great! 8 hours of it should be good with a maximum temp of 55C.

Haha! Yeah, 58-60F makes a lot more sense!

Sorry, I don't feel comfortable giving personal information away.

Looks like a good stable overclock of 10% plus two cores unlocked! Good job! :) 
Score
March 19, 2012 2:38:16 PM

HostileDonut said:
Great! 8 hours of it should be good with a maximum temp of 55C.

Haha! Yeah, 58-60F makes a lot more sense!

Sorry, I don't feel comfortable giving personal information away.

Looks like a good stable overclock of 10% plus two cores unlocked! Good job! :) 

No problem, I still can ask you for helps here. ;) 

Interestingly enough, there's quite a few versions of Prime95 out there; v25's for 32bits/64bits (older versions) and v27.4.1.0 (p64v274 - always crashes when I ran this one) (p95v274 - always ran over 8+ hrs successfully when I ran this one). Any comments on these? :sweat: 

Again, my OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and I ran successfully with the newer version: v27.4.1.0 p95v274.

Should I assume that 4 cores at x18 3.6Ghz and Vcore 1.3v and NB +x1 and auto ram speed at 1333Mhz with peak temperature around 55c to 57c is stable enough and keep this Bios settings? :sweat:  :lol: 

Or should I try running with manual ram speed of 1600Mhz to see if p95v274 holds? :??: 

Any other suggestions? :wahoo: 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 2:44:14 PM

tirasong said:
No problem, I still can ask you for helps here. ;) 

Interestingly enough, there's quite a few versions of Prime95 out there; v25's for 32bits/64bits (older versions) and v27.4.1.0 (p64v274 - always crashes when I ran this one) (p95v274 - always ran over 8+ hrs successfully when I ran this one). Any comments on these? :sweat: 

Again, my OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and I ran successfully with the newer version: v27.4.1.0 p95v274.

Should I assume that 4 cores at x18 3.6Ghz and Vcore 1.3v and NB +x1 and auto ram speed at 1333Mhz with peak temperature around 55c to 57c is stable enough and keep this Bios settings? :sweat:  :lol: 

Or should I try running with manual ram speed of 1600Mhz to see if p95v274 holds? :??: 

Any other suggestions? :wahoo: 

If you have got it stable with one version, there might just be a bug in the other, causing it to fail. They have 32-bit and 64-bit versions just for the different OS you might have, but you have a 64-bit, so that is why you have the 64-bit version.

If you ran the test with 1333Mhz, it will still most likely run with 1600Mhz, so just change it to 1600Mhz and don't run the test. If you get a crash, then it is most likely RAM related, so just change the RAM speed back to 1333Mhz.

The reason I say just make your RAM speed 1600Mhz and don't run the test is because running your CPU @ 100% for 8 hours with an OC isn't "good" for the CPU, so if the RAM seems to be stable @ 1600Mhz for everything you do, there is not reason to run the test again. I am guessing that 1600Mhz will be perfectly stable for your system, just 1333Mhz is a good testing point just to see what your CPU can do instead of the RAM interfering.

Get what I mean?
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 2:45:33 PM

tirasong said:

Yes! That is pretty good! :)  Just try running 1600Mhz RAM WITHOUT A TEST and see if it is stable.
Score
March 21, 2012 3:25:43 PM

HostileDonut said:
Yes! That is pretty good! :)  Just try running 1600Mhz RAM WITHOUT A TEST and see if it is stable.

Running at 1600Mhz RAM with idle temp of 30c-35c and stable... :wahoo: 
Full load temp will probably be around mid 50c's.
In summer the full load temp will probably be around mid 60c's.
Would these temperatures be acceptable for keep's sake? Not too high?
Would you please explain the functions and tuneups for the NB or should I just leave it alone? :pt1cable:  :lol: 
Thanks again for your helps. :) 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2012 4:01:52 PM

tirasong said:
Running at 1600Mhz RAM with idle temp of 30c-35c and stable... :wahoo: 
Full load temp will probably be around mid 50c's.
In summer the full load temp will probably be around mid 60c's.
Would these temperatures be acceptable for keep's sake? Not too high?
Would you please explain the functions and tuneups for the NB or should I just leave it alone? :pt1cable:  :lol: 
Thanks again for your helps. :) 

Your CPU should not go past 70C, so if you are under 70C, you should be fine. Most of the time, you won't be running your CPU 100% I am guessing, meaning temps will be even lower. :) 

I believe the North Bridge has something to do with how the motherboard transfers data, but I am not sure. I would leave it alone.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:08:35 PM

HostileDonut said:
Your CPU should not go past 70C, so if you are under 70C, you should be fine. Most of the time, you won't be running your CPU 100% I am guessing, meaning temps will be even lower. :) 

I believe the North Bridge has something to do with how the motherboard transfers data, but I am not sure. I would leave it alone.

I have found this article: Northbridge Overclocking with the Phenom II
Link: http://www.overclockers.com/the-importance-of-northbrid...
Tell me what you think of this article...should I try it? :) 
Now, what about Southbridge? That's another story to research unless you can tell something. :) 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2012 6:32:55 PM

tirasong said:
I have found this article: Northbridge Overclocking with the Phenom II
Link: http://www.overclockers.com/the-importance-of-northbrid...
Tell me what you think of this article...should I try it? :) 
Now, what about Southbridge? That's another story to research unless you can tell something. :) 

Well, you already have your CPU stable and I don't think that you will really notice a difference with a higher NB. Also, your motherboard isn't meant for OCing really, so I wouldn't push it too far unless you want to risk breaking it.

I don't know much at all about the south bridge. Really, I know nothing except I have heard just not to ever touch it. :lol: 
Score
March 22, 2012 8:25:14 PM

HostileDonut said:
Well, you already have your CPU stable and I don't think that you will really notice a difference with a higher NB. Also, your motherboard isn't meant for OCing really, so I wouldn't push it too far unless you want to risk breaking it.

I don't know much at all about the south bridge. Really, I know nothing except I have heard just not to ever touch it. :lol: 

At 3.6Ghz I set NB to 2600Mhz and it crashed. So, I set NB to 2400Mhz at Manual/Normal voltage and was stable so far. :sweat:  I will keep this settings for normal usage to see if it will crash again! :sweat: 
Until next time, my young friend...actually, you are younger than my youngest son; his is 16 1/2 years old; he like to play CombatArms, Call of Duty, ect. but not interested in how computers work, how to tweak them, and how to install OS's. :lol: 
On the plus side...he is a straight A's student...he is in 10th grade going to 11 grade this year. :) 
Sure hope he's more interested in computer. I cannot teach him something if he's not into it. :pt1cable: 
Appreciates your helps. :) 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2012 10:56:54 PM

No problem! 2400Mhz from 2000Mhz (I think that is stock) is pretty good! I hope it works!

Haha, just tell him it is fun! I think it is more fun that actually playing games, but that's just me. :) 
Score
March 25, 2012 6:25:47 PM

HostileDonut said:
No problem! 2400Mhz from 2000Mhz (I think that is stock) is pretty good! I hope it works!

Haha, just tell him it is fun! I think it is more fun that actually playing games, but that's just me. :) 

So far so good with 4 cores at 3.6Ghz at 1.3v Vcore and NB at 2400Mhz...CPU temp at 57c-58c under Prime95 torture stress test. :sweat: 
CPU temp should get hotter in Summer; in Summer, maybe I should run at stock of 3.3Ghz or at 3.4Ghz for safety? :sweat: 

Now, back to my original question about mixing Rams...
If I want to use a mix of pc3 12800 (G.SKILL 2x2G 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v) and pc3 10666 (OCZ 2x1G 9-9-9-26 1.7v) on the same motherboard...You suggested that I can run them both @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9-26 timings.
Which Ram Voltage should I set for both Rams? 1.5v or 1.7v or other voltage? Please clarify. :) 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2012 7:37:49 PM

You can go to 70C on that CPU, and most things won't do what Prime 95 does, so 3.6Ghz should be fine all the time. Just monitor the temps at first on a hot day to make sure it is okay, but I bet it will be!

That's why i don't like mixing RAM! See, each should be fine at the timings, but 1.7v is high for one set, and good for the other! I would try them both @ 1333Mhz, 9-9-9-26, 1.5v. If that doesn't work, try it up to 1.62v. If that doesn't work, loosen the timings. Maybe 10-10-10-30.
Score
March 25, 2012 11:04:43 PM

HostileDonut said:
You can go to 70C on that CPU, and most things won't do what Prime 95 does, so 3.6Ghz should be fine all the time. Just monitor the temps at first on a hot day to make sure it is okay, but I bet it will be!

That's why i don't like mixing RAM! See, each should be fine at the timings, but 1.7v is high for one set, and good for the other! I would try them both @ 1333Mhz, 9-9-9-26, 1.5v. If that doesn't work, try it up to 1.62v. If that doesn't work, loosen the timings. Maybe 10-10-10-30.

Thanks for your suggestions...I think 4Gb (2x2Gb) of G.SKILL 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v is good enough for whatever I am doing. Thus, I am not going to mess around with the RAMs on my motherboard any further. It will be a real bitch to unhook the massive Gemini II heatsink (with 2x120mm fans) from the CPU and motherboard to get to the Ram's slots anyway. It will be like rebuilding the PC from scratch again...Too much work for little old me...LOL555 :lol: 
Just have to keep the 2Gb (2x1Gb) of OCZ 1.7v RAMs for another build if it ever happened. :) 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2012 11:06:07 PM

tirasong said:
Thanks for your suggestions...I think 4Gb (2x2Gb) of G.SKILL 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v is good enough for whatever I am doing. Thus, I am not going to mess around with the RAMs on my motherboard any further. It will be a real bitch to unhook the massive Gemini II heatsink (with 2x120mm fans) from the CPU and motherboard to get to the Ram's slots anyway. It will be like rebuilding the PC from scratch again...Too much work for little old me...LOL555 :lol: 
Just have to keep the 2Gb (2x1Gb) of OCZ 1.7v RAMs for another build if it ever happened. :) 

Sounds like a plan!

Glad I could help! :) 
Score
April 15, 2012 9:32:58 PM

HostileDonut said:
Sounds like a plan!

With my current OC'ed 3.6Ghz unlocked 4 cores settings. It is still not a good idea to run 2 cpu-intensive video conversion jobs simultaneously; namely, Divx Video conversion and AVS Video conversion. Since it will bring the processing to a crawl. Maybe more cores will work better? More cores uses more power and produces more heat?

Any comments or suggestions, my young friend! :sweat:  :lol: 
Score
April 15, 2012 9:35:24 PM

HostileDonut said:
Sounds like a plan!

With my current OC'ed 3.6Ghz unlocked 4 cores settings. It is still not a good idea to run 2 cpu-intensive video conversion jobs simultaneously; namely, Divx Video conversion and AVS Video conversion. Since it will bring the processing to a crawl. Maybe more cores will work better? More cores uses more power and produces more heat?

Any comments or suggestions, my young friend!
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2012 1:37:43 AM

You can run as many programs as you want as long as it is stable. More cores will pull more power and produce more heat, that is true, but if you need the power and you have the money go for it. :) 
Score
April 16, 2012 3:56:28 AM

HostileDonut said:
You can run as many programs as you want as long as it is stable. More cores will pull more power and produce more heat, that is true, but if you need the power and you have the money go for it. :) 

Hi, this is little old me again...I use the wrong User ID: oldthaiguy...for these messages:

"With my current OC'ed 3.6Ghz unlocked 4 cores settings. It is still not a good idea to run 2 cpu-intensive video conversion jobs simultaneously; namely, Divx Video conversion and AVS Video conversion. Since it will bring the processing to a crawl. Maybe more cores will work better? More cores uses more power and produces more heat?
Any comments or suggestions, my young friend!"

My point is normally a single core CPU will handle Video conversion job but only taking a little longer.
How come when running multiple Video conversion jobs with multiple cores CPU it brings the processing to a crawl?
Seem like it does not allocate a job to each core to make it run each job independently...maybe each core just don't have enough horse power to do serious conversion on its own? Granted, some Video conversion software uses more CPU than the other and Divx Video conversion and AVS Video conversion uses a lot of horse power.

So, the question is which is better? Faster CPUs with HT or multiple cores CPUs with HT?
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2012 2:30:16 PM

tirasong said:
Hi, this is little old me again...I use the wrong User ID: oldthaiguy...for these messages:

"With my current OC'ed 3.6Ghz unlocked 4 cores settings. It is still not a good idea to run 2 cpu-intensive video conversion jobs simultaneously; namely, Divx Video conversion and AVS Video conversion. Since it will bring the processing to a crawl. Maybe more cores will work better? More cores uses more power and produces more heat?
Any comments or suggestions, my young friend!"

My point is normally a single core CPU will handle Video conversion job but only taking a little longer.
How come when running multiple Video conversion jobs with multiple cores CPU it brings the processing to a crawl?
Seem like it does not allocate a job to each core to make it run each job independently...maybe each core just don't have enough horse power to do serious conversion on its own? Granted, some Video conversion software uses more CPU than the other and Divx Video conversion and AVS Video conversion uses a lot of horse power.

So, the question is which is better? Faster CPUs with HT or multiple cores CPUs with HT?

Well, you have an AMD CPU, so you have no hyper-threading. It may just be too much for two cores to handle. That would be my guess. I would just turn on all four cores and then you should have enough. :) 
Score
April 26, 2012 3:21:11 PM

Best answer selected by tirasong.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a c 328 V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 5:16:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!