GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 wont boot after already running for month

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotson100

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
i bought my gigabyte mobo a month ago for my first built PC and it ran wonderfully for about a month and a half with no problems. Now all of a sudden my motherboard will not boot, it tries to start up but it powers down and starts the process over again. my fans, HDD, Disk drive all start and I've performed the green-black paperclip trip to confirm it is not my power supply. I've sent gigabyte an Email but they haven't responded. i don't want to RMA because of shipping costs and my PC would be out of commission for a few weeks at the least. Any body have this problem as well? im just curious if my mobo is shot or there's something i could do to fix it without a time consuming expensive RMA. Any help is appreciated

Here's my build:
mobo: stated in title
Ram: corsair vengeance 8Gb
PSU: rosewill capstone 650W
GPU: PNY 560 ti
CPU: intel i5 2500k
also have a standard disk drive and card reader but probably irrelevant

Solution
G
Gigabyte's "customer" service is the worst I have ever experienced and the motherboard that I bought will be the last Gigabyte product I ever buy. In the end I got an Asrock board and will sell the gigabyte board as new for as much as I can when i get it back, because like you I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks as well as pay to send them the faulty board.

I would disconnect everything from the motherboard. Try running it with one ram module then the other. If any combination works add the GPU and so on.

Welcome to Toms Forum! :)

Quite often this is a sign of a bad MOBO, and shorting a PSU only means it's not completely bad.

What I would 'try' first is a proper Clear CMOS, unplug the PSU for 5~10 minutes to allow a full discharging then use the jumper method using tweezers if needed (most of the time you do); see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

If that fails then 'try' booting with (1) stick of RAM in the 2nd DIMM slot from the CPU. Failure again, try the other stick in the same DIMM slot.

Q - can you post and get into the BIOS?

G

Gigabyte's "customer" service is the worst I have ever experienced and the motherboard that I bought will be the last Gigabyte product I ever buy. In the end I got an Asrock board and will sell the gigabyte board as new for as much as I can when i get it back, because like you I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks as well as pay to send them the faulty board.

I would disconnect everything from the motherboard. Try running it with one ram module then the other. If any combination works add the GPU and so on.

Solution

dotson100

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Clearing the CMOS ended up working, i had tried it before i posted but apparently i didnt do it correctly because i tried again at your suggestion and it booted. i had some bad voltage values apparently when overclocking. Oddly, it still worked for a few days after i entered them so i didnt think that was the problem. thanks for the help! i wouldve RMA'd a perfectly good board for nothing

G

Can I transfer the best answer to you? :sweat:

I don't know why I didn't consider the bios, not sure if I noticed the i5-2500k. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.