No hard disk found

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I put in a wd 500gb hdd into my new build and am getting "No harddisk found" or similar upon intital boot. I've got the sata 3 cable attached to the sata 3 connection and the POWER applied to the drive. Could it be dead?

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, just want to make sure bases are covered... Are both the power and SATA data cables plugged into the drive and is the other end of the SATA data cable connected to the motherboard?

When you go into the BIOS, do you see the drive? Which motherboard are you using?

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Yes, I see the "WD 500 gb SATA 3.0" in the EFI BIOS. "Marvel something" is giving me the "No Harddisk Detected" upon start up.
I'm using an ASUS P8P67 mobo and an i5 2500k CPU. I haven't installed ANYHTING on the drive yet, it's blank from Newegg. I'm just messing around and will install (or try) Windows 7 in about a 1/2 hour.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

it's in AHCI mode already.

'm actually on my new computer now ... YIPEEE!! Now I gotta download updates!

Ok. I see the same type of thing on one of my disk controllers too. My motherboard has three separate disk controllers, two of which show connections and one of which shows "no hard disk" on bootup. The controller to which I have no disk connected gives me the "no disk..." message.