Sign in with
Your question

Good deal for a replacement PC or did I get taken???

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2011 7:40:32 AM

So in November of 2008 I got the following PC with a one year warranty from iBuypower and an extended additional 2 year warranty from Service Net. That would end this upcoming November. My specs are:

iBuyPower Gamer Supreme; 943 COre 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz), 8GB DDR2 500GB Nvidia GeForce 2
------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7380
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Chip type: GeForce GTX 280
Display Memory: 4069 MB
Dedicated Memory: 997 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (120Hz)
Monitor: Alienware AW2310 (Digital)

Anyway, to make a long story really short, Service Net agreed to replace my system due to a freezing issue that cannot be resolved. They offered me the following:

Cyberpower PC Gamer Xtreme 1307 Intel Core i5 2400 (3.10GHz) Quad Core; 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

From what I have read at various sources, my only concern is the GTX 550 ti card. I play online gaming like Lord of the Rings Online, WOW, Age of Conan Online, Rift, etc. Though Im not playing any of them right now, I am looking forward to Bioware's Star Wars Online. Though i dont know the recommended specs, based on the games I just mentioned, did I get a good deal? Is the card going to hurt me in games such as these if I play a generally max or close to max settings in 1920x1080? Should I upgrade something on either computer to be sure Ill be fine? The first computer still works fine, I just have to do a hard reset occassionally.

Thanks for any advice or opinions!!!

More about : good deal replacement

April 8, 2011 7:53:57 AM

Man... That's not a terrible offer. But the 550 Ti, you are correct, is a jip. They should be offering you something like a 6870 or 560 Ti or a 6950 1 or 2gb version. Not a 550 Ti. The i5 2400 is plenty though. Ask for something along those lines. I think a custom buillt would be necessary in that case, meaning customizing a build on Cyberpower or iBuyPower.
April 8, 2011 8:04:16 AM

It's a fair trade as you are getting a better processor on more modern hardware.

The GTX 550ti is weaker, but it is newer too, DX11. It will struggle in AoC at full res and high settings.

You kinda needed an upgraded GPU anyway, so take the deal and upgrade the GPU.
Related resources
April 8, 2011 12:12:55 PM

+1^ to Proximon, exactly what I was thinking...
April 8, 2011 12:19:56 PM

A " replacement warranty " should replace your system with one of similar performance.

Technology has advanced and the I5-2400 is basically the equivalent of what the Q9550
was a couple of years ago.
Going from a top of the line video card, to an " I'm on a budget " video card wouldn't sit well with me.
April 8, 2011 6:00:13 PM

See your point but I have a very strong feeling that when my EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 video card dies I won't be getting a 580 replacement or whatever is at that tier when it dies. When I bought mine it was the top card on the market and I actually did pay 600.00 for it and was a good investment to me at the time as that card was the top tier and it lasted me nearly 3 years and a Ton of gaming time.

It won't hurt to ask for it but from my experience they have a range of hardware they are willing to trade up with you...
April 15, 2011 5:21:34 AM

Ok Folks, here is the deal. I just received my new CyberPower PC from NewEgg. I loaded Lord of the Rings Online on both machines. First off, I was able to put the new PC in Ultra High Settings at 1920x1080 in DX11 with an FPS consistantly above 40-50 while in the crowded area of Bree, including with other players running around inside the Prancing Pony.

Since my older card on the iBuyPower PC with the Nvidia 280 can only do DX 9 and 10, I decided to test both equally. I put them both on Dx9, 1920x1080, Ultra High Settings. On the new PC, the game never once dropped below 50FPS and was on average between 50-85FPS. On my older PC, the game dipped below 40 while running around Bree and was in the upper 20s while in the Prancing Pony.

I realize that the golden FPS line is 30, but I noticed the difference. That to me is a drastic drop in FPS from one machine to another. Both have just about everything turned off in MSCONFIG with the Start Up items. Both are running the same version of Norton 360 with silent mode on when in full screen.

Though its not completely equal since Ive had my older machine for 2 1/2 years, that does not seem to indicate to me that the newer card or processor is equal or below what I already had. What Im trying to prepare for is when Star Wars Online comes out (SWTOR). It appears to me that I may suprisingly not need to upgrade anything for that game...and if I do, maybe a slight upgrade to the video card.
!