Sign in with
Your question

Is my Gigabyte GTX 560OC broken?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2011 5:35:22 AM

I just upgraded from a gtx260 to a gigabyte gtx 560OC link shipped from newegg a day ago. It worked fine out of the box in windows, so I installed the 266.66 drivers for win7 64 from nvidia's site and started a game (final fantasy XIV).

The game crashed to a cobalt gray screenafter a few minutes, from which I had to do a hard reset to get out of. After about 3 minutes in any directx game (directx 9 or 11) it outputted a cobalt gray screen (not the BSOD).

kind of like this color

I removed all nvidia drivers (display, hd audio, physx) and used ccleaner to remove any nvidia registry settings, then reinstalled the 266.66 drivers.

The games I tested (FFXIV, Aliens vs predator directx11, fallout NV) again all crashed within a few minutes, but this time I received the following error instead of a cobalt screen:

"unable to detect directx device"

As a last resort, I used the drivers that came with the card's driver CD, 266.44, but I got the same "unable to detect dirextx device" error.

These are my system specs:

i5 750 @4.011GHz
gigabyte P55A-UD4P mobo
crucial 2GB ddr3 1333 (x4) @ 1528
Kingston V+ 64GB SSD
gigabyte gtx 560OC

my temps are fine, they were 46 degrees Celsius and fan at 40% when the games crashed. My FPS are fine too, I was getting 40+ FPS in Ul'dah in final fantasy XIV.

I have a corsair 750TX, so I know it isn't a power issue. I also made sure that my bios was up to date, and directx as well.

Is my card borked?
a b Î Nvidia
February 3, 2011 11:07:06 AM

Are you able to test the card in someone else's machine? This way you could test for sure if the card is working or not, or whether its a problem with your machine.
m
l
February 3, 2011 4:03:35 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Are you able to test the card in someone else's machine?

I'll put in my wife's rig tonight. I really hope that it's just a corrupted directx 11 in windows, and not the card itself.
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2011 5:44:44 PM

update:

the 560 worked just fine in my wife's computer, I was able to play new vegas for 2 hours without a directx device crash error.

I guess it's time to repair/reinstall windows. At least i don't have to send the card back to newegg.
m
l
a c 404 Î Nvidia
February 4, 2011 6:09:20 PM

turelpld said:
update:

the 560 worked just fine in my wife's computer, I was able to play new vegas for 2 hours without a directx device crash error.

I guess it's time to repair/reinstall windows. At least i don't have to send the card back to newegg.

I hope that works and that it isn't something related to your motherboard or PSU.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 4, 2011 6:26:23 PM

Quote:
This is why i don't buy Gigabyte video cards

Not just Gigabyte but is a symptom of a larger problem as a result of the economic depression. To maintain profits manufacturers have cut corners on quality more than they have before. Compare a card made during the Geforce 8 and 9 era to a card of the current era you would notice that quality in general has decline in several areas. The Fermi line has suffered heavily as well the same for ATI's offerings.

When it comes to Gigabyte cards you may have to mod them and are not meant for the newts of the computing world. I modded my Gigabyte GTX 460 and it already has close to 2k hours of use.
m
l
a c 404 Î Nvidia
February 4, 2011 6:37:31 PM

Well, fortunately, he has already determined it was not the fault of his Gigabyte video card, which seems to be performing very well in another computer.
m
l
February 5, 2011 2:56:46 AM

repaired win7, everything works now :)  I'm glad it wasn't the 560, I would have hated the turnaround wait while the super blizzard is affecting all the shipping carriers.

17seconds said:
I hope that works and that it isn't something related to your motherboard or PSU.

luckily, my mobo and powersupply are fine; I've had them since feb '10 and my gtx 260 worked fine in them while I was testing the 560 in the other computer :) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 5, 2011 3:18:55 AM

Were fine, at any rate.

Hopefully it is just a software problem.
m
l
!