Back Again. Even the AM3+ Won't Post

shaakazulu

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2012
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core
XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
ASUS M5A97 Evo - AM3+
HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Thermaltake 550w Power SUpply ( SLI & Crossfire ready ).

Specs ^.

Here's the story again. Got the mobo today. Happier than a kid in a candy story. First and foremost I did a POST before putting it into the case. Turned it on and everything, nothing. Did everything as I've said before, still nothing. I don't know what's up. People have been having issues with it. My CPU fan turns on, HDD, Ram and even video is spinning, lights on, still nothing. What should I do now? I'm thinking about RMAing the board, CPU and ram just to make sure. The ram is compatible, the video card works because i used it in another machine as well, but I don't know what's wrong.

I've heard stories of people having issues with the BIOS update with this board. How do I go about getting a bios update? On the mobo it says" Rev. 1.02" Does that mean it's updated? Please help. If no other choice, gonna' RMA it.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
You most likely need to update the BIOS to the Latest version to support the FX series CPU. Taking it to a computer repair shop would be one way to do this.

You could also borrow an AM3 CPU (Not AM3+) such as a Phenom II or an Athlon II and get it to boot and install windows. Then update the BIOS after you get everything working. BIOS IS here: http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_EVO/#download Get the latest Version 1004.

Solution