1156 prices

Does anyone know why it's still not cheaper to build an 1156 build? Why haven't the prices come down on these processors and motherboards if Intel intended to replace the 1156 with the 1155? Doesn't make sense...?

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I was asking myself the same question. In fact I have actually seen the prices go up. For instance my mother board an Asus P7P55D-E PRO had a MSRP of $179 just the other day on the Egg. Now it is $189 the original price when it first came out, now I know there has been a few PROMOs that have made the price $159 but for a dead socket the prices are outrageous. Same for the CPUs no real price drops at all.

What is keeping the demand high? Is it because of the previous investment in 1156 or is there an advantage to running an 1156 over an 1155?

It's the market. A lot of 775 CPUs were still very expensive (some still are) since there are some users who don't upgrade very much very often, and I think that Intel is trapping users that have 1156 i3 platforms that want to upgrade to i5s, which I think is what daship was hinting at. It's actually a great business strategy.