Best CPU Stress Software?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Does anybody know any kind of CPU Stress is the best AND don't make heat... Prime95 create heat and Intel burn test create heat... I Overclocked my CPU to 3.8GHz for awhile and i never checked for stability, it been a month already and i didn't know if it's stable or not LOL... There's one software i think it good but i cant seem to find it and it's called Toast but i cant seem to find it to download... I Got a Sabertooth x58 with a disk and have a Intel Extreme Tuning Utility BUT I dont know if it's good, i only tried five minutes and it uses 100% cpu plus doesn't create heat... BTW my cpu is hitting 100*C when test with prime but when i test with intel Extreme, it only stays in the 65-70s.... Im not sure if Intel Extreme a good stress test tho...

Any stress test will create heat, thats the nature of the beast, if you want the CPU to work its going to need more power which gets turned into more heat which makes the temperature go up.

If your CPU is hitting 100C under Prime you need to fix your cooler and heatsink ASAP. Prime loads up absolutely everything which makes it good for checking stability as its a very predictable system and knows when something came out wrong.

There are two conditions for a good overclock, stability and safe temps, you fail one of those requirements pretty badly so it might be time to get yourself a new cooler so you can stay in safe temp ranges and probably OC a bit farther.

Pretty much this, although the Intel Burnin test is faster at finding issues, it uses Linpack and can even use all the available memory as well.

The whole point to stress testing a CPU for stability is to check for three parts:

1. Is the CPU itself stable at this clock speed. A unstable CPU may not cause crashes but it can cause data corruption.

2. Is the CPU being cooled efficiently. Honestly 73c seems a bit high for a 3.8GHz overclock and if you were on a good air cooler it would probably not hit that high. But heat kills parts. CPUs have a lot of protection these days but that heat will float out into the case and cause capacitors or other components to overheat and shorten your mobos life.

3. If the RAM stable. Same as the CPU. With some overclocks the RAM might be unstable and as well cause corruption. But normally if memory is unstable, it will result in a BSoD.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
My RAM OverClocked is completely stable with 6 Memtest86 Passes(Boot)... My CPU is Probably stable for the last month but im not sure as it haven't BSOD ever since i raised a notch on the Vcore and HTT Off... I Just recently downloaded toast and I just tested like few hours and seem to be stable now... Intel Burn Test seems to be the best? BUT since it's creating heat a lot, i'll use Toast for now since my Tt V1 AX is a pretty weak heatsink but it can cool my CPU when doing normal use instead of Testing...

G

you cant stress the cpu without creating heat.
but if you say this "toast" is simultaneously stressing your cpu AND not creating heat, i suspect its not a great utility.

The download link i found for it at major geeks shows it as last being updated in 2002, which means its very unlikely it supports more than 2 threads, so testing an i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads with it will only put it at 25% usage so its not a relevant program and you really really need to get your temps down before you damage something as CS5.5 isnt obscenely CPU intensive and really shouldnt be getting you into the 70s.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Of course BUT, Your surppose to open the Toast program like few times but i did mine like 4 times to get 100% CPU Usage, do it and you be waiting for the next few seconds(Took me over 8 second) just to close one of those toast running program from Task Manager...

BTW People, I got a weak heatsink so I wont be using some programs for awhile like few weeks or so...

Prime95 will quickly heat the CPU/test the cores, but, will not assure of total stability like actual game testing, as some 2500Ks will run 4 instances of Prime95 perfectly, yet then crash during gaming....

But if you were hitting 100C during Prime95, you likely have too much thermal paste and/or major heatsink airflow obstructions, or need an aftermarket cooler like a Hyper 212, etc....

Since you are on an X58 board, look up the temps others are getting using for a given i7-920,950, etc., w/whatever cooler you are using. (the stock cooler will likely not be sufficient for OCing an i7-920 from 2.8 to 3.8 Ghz, for instance)

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I have Tt V1 AX and I was so stupid for not going iwth the Actual Tt V1... Im am going to buy an CM212+ but Im also thinking about getting the Tt Frio... Should i get CM212+ or Tt Frio?