Need New X58 Motherboard!

EscMan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi i've been using the evga x58 4 way sli for the last two years i believe. i've gone through three rma's and its looking like it will be a fourth. i'm giving up! i'm going to sell the next rma without using it. my set up is a evga 580 vanilla that i use to run my 1920x1080 main monitor. i have two 440's running 4 other monitors. i also have an asus xonar dx sound card. i need a motherboard that can fit and run all of these together. and i also like having a space under the 580 so that air flow is not restricted.

i have a 256 gb ssd, and 4 other hard drives as well as a few usb peripherals. i have the corsair 1200w psu so i don't believe power should be a problem.

can anyone please recommend me a motherboard please? also if you could tell me in what configuration would they work best? that is which cards should go in which pci slots. thanks.

If you're having that many RMA's then IMO something is killing them all. I appreciate the Corsair AX1200, but it might very well be the root cause of the problems and/or some other component. I own an EVGA 4-WAY SLI Classified XL and knock on wood zip issues. The power is filtered off an nice UPS and frankly all of my PC's are off an UPS which seems to greatly reduce problems.

I would have someone test every component you have before 'rebuilding'.

Interesting factoid, the Corsair AX1200 wasn't released until after the EVGA X58 4-WAY SLI Classified XL.

There are no X58 replacements unless you can find a used Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9, or are ready to also replace your CPU for an SB-E on LGA 2011.

Alternatives include:
ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131390
ASUS Rampage III Extreme - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642
EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188069

(EOL but you can find new) Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3870#sp

However, all I see listed are a total of 4 PCIe devices (GTX 580, 2xGTX 460, and Xonar DX) so they're all an option, you're not running 4-WAY SLI obviously so you just need adequate PCIe slots and spacing.

EscMan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the reply! Yes i also thought it could have been a psu problem. i originally had a corsiar 1000w. and i changed it and bought a brand new 1200. Also where can i got to get every component tested like you suggest. i really would not like to pay a lot of money for something like that. i am not very interested in going to SB-E as it would cost another $500 or so to upgrade.

And what is a UPS? also i have a question. often times when i turn off my computer some of my peripherals stay turned on. and this happens more often with those peripherals plugged into the case usb ports. my question is can the onboard case functions be causing a problem with the motherboard? how could i test that? i ask because i have basically troubleshooted everything in my computer in some way except the case itself. i have a haf x.

also yes i am only looking for a motherboard that can fit the 4 devices with the extra space for the 580 to have more air flow. any more suggestions? thanks.

A - UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) aka battery backup.
A - USB power, this is normal behavior.
A - Testing - Computer repair shop, a good one.
A - The MOBO's I listed above are about it, at least in the USA and Canada. The ASUS's are IMO your best bet. You don't need 4-WAY SLI based upon what you've said.

The HAF X are known to have issues with the hot-swap bays. The ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer is a dead-ringer for your EVGA.

EscMan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

thanks for the answers.
It's normal for usb peripherals to sometimes stay on after shutdown and sometimes not? Why is this?
also is their any way for me to tell that a computer repair shop is a "good" one? xD

Yes it's normal, and reason is waking/charging options for the USB. For example, if you installed e.g. USB Charging then the USB is 100% power to charge your e.g. iPhone.

A good 'PC Shop' will have several good reviews posted online (Google), website, multiple employees, bricks and mortar business (physical location). Places like Best Buy's Geek Squad are okay and they do have the necessary equipment.

TRENDING THREADS