Your question

Build Questions and review

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2011 12:13:29 PM

Just joined and I decided to ask a few questions and get some ideas on my rig.
Im mainly a gamer (MMO and a lot of High Intensity first persons ) and I do basic video editing for youtube and stuff as well i sometimes mess with photos.

Right Now what Im running is

Evga x58 Classified x3SLI

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Coolermaster V8

Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model KHX2000C9AD3T1K2/4GX

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

2 Seagate 2tb hd in raid 0

1x WD HD for OS

Video Card was a 5870 until i deployed and sold it while im gone

Now to do some tweaking to this rig i was thinking of going with

2x 6970s for Video and crossfire them. My first question is can my power supply handle this and will the case Im using have the room to hold both of these cards?

The next was to replace the WD HD with Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2BD/30GB-2P 2.5" 60GB for just my OS to get more speed for the basic functions?

And then I was going to up the ram to at least 8 gigs of either Kingston or Kingston HyperX ram

Now for the questions.

Should I up the powersupply?
Ive been looking at 1000w modular supply

Should I upgrade to a faster processor or is what i have gonna be alright?

What Brand of 6970 should I get? and if my case is not gonna fit these 2 cards what case will with the proper cooling

Thanks for any advice or help

More about : build questions review

April 8, 2011 1:12:26 PM

Hello wiskibubbles;

You're gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor?

I think you're good on the case and PSU with 2x HD 6950 CrossfireX.
Even 2x HD 6970s if you want but it's probably more that you need for a single monitor.

You don't replace the 1TB HDD with a SSD as you'll be using both. The SSD will have the OS, four or five of your most frequently used programs and maybe a game or two, based on how larger they are.
That Kingston SSDNow V (64GB model?) you picked isn't an especially good value.
Take one of the Sand Force 1200 SSDs like Corsair Force 60GB or GSkil Sniper 64GB with Read/Write speeds up to 285MBs / 275MBs vs 180MBs / 50MBs for the Kingston SSDNow V for the 64GB model.

Related resources
April 8, 2011 1:40:49 PM

Before i left I was running 2 monitors. I wanted 3 but I didn't have the eyeinfity set up. At the time i was running 2x 22 inc HP monitors cant remember the resolution at this time ( im currently deployed) I had a 28 inch Hans G but for some reason I cant stand it. So i got rid of it and got the 2 22inch monitors.

The HD i want to replace is 250gb i think It was something old that i had in my old computer and needed it because Windows 7 wouldn't use a 4tb raid to work.

What about raiding 2 SSD's together for more speed or is it almost not worth it?
April 8, 2011 1:45:03 PM

wiskibubbles said:
Should I up the powersupply?
Ive been looking at 1000w modular supply

No need.
Even the 600w version of that power supply is approved for dual 6970's
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/c...

wiskibubbles said:
Should I upgrade to a faster processor or is what i have gonna be alright?

If I were you I would stick w/ current CPU and just focus money on graphics.

wiskibubbles said:
if my case is not gonna fit these 2 cards what case will with the proper cooling

Agreed that you should be fine on the case, but the side fans on that case are optional I believe.
If you didn't get a side panel fan then you might want to add one.
Spend a little extra and get a nice one that will be quiet or even one that has a speed controller so you can run it only as fast as needed.
April 8, 2011 1:53:41 PM

If you do want to go with an Eyefinity 3 monitor setup you're heading in the right direction. A 3rd 22" monitor (probably 1680x1050) would get you a virtual monitor of 5040x1050 resolution.

Sure; if it's a 250GB HDD you probably do want move it out of the boot drive but leave it in the system for high capacity storage. Or maybe get one of the fast single platter 500GB HDDs.

With SSDs in RAID you loose TRIM support. I think one fast SSD is the better overall option. For my system I'd go for a 120GB SF 1200 SSD before getting two 60GB SSDs in RAID0.
Corsair Force 120GB SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!