Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Going to order Vostro...what do you guys think?

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2011 1:02:30 PM

I have been stalking a Dell Vostro since they came out and ready to pull the trigger. The highlights of my configuration is as follows:

Intel i2500
Windows 7 Pro 64 w/XP mode installed
4GB RAM (2 dimms)
500GB HDD
Single DVD+RW
NVIDIA GT420
U2311H Ultrasharp monitor
2 years Pro Support

$1157.00 + tax, US

My questions are:

1. I know zero about video cards. I don't do any gaming. One thing I really need in a GPU is sharp text and 2D graphics. I do a fair amount of font type work. I plan on using the computer for the usual Internet stuff, + Quickbooks, photo editing via Photoshop Elements, possibly some CorelDraw 2D vector graphics. I might tackle some web design if I can figure it out, and maybe an occasional video encode/edit. The NVIDIA is an OEM card so price comparisons and reviews are tough to come by. The next card up is a Radeon HD 6670. What do you guys think?

2. I always thought a live sales person had a few tricks to get the price below the website? I can configure the system myself for the same price using the $322.00 off "18.5 in Monitor included" package as a starting point. There are no current coupons for the system (that I could find), but if I wait, is it likely a coupon will take more off the "$322.00 off" offer, or does Dell take the $322.00 off offers away when they release coupon codes so it's a wash?

I know negotiations are a little finesse, which I have none of ;-). How do these sales people usually respond after they've spent a certain amount of time with you on a not-too-expensive system when you hit them with "why is this the same price as what I could get from the website"?

Thanks!

More about : order vostro guys

April 8, 2011 1:52:21 PM

the 420 is basically an entry-level laptop card. It won't do heavy 3D gaming, but should handle your list of issues fairly well.

you could do a LOT better building for yourself...more powerful gpu, and/or lower cost, even without the monitor.

You can see my system in my signature. It was $700 WITH Win 7. a 23" (!) Acer monitor added to it would be $150, speakers, keyboard & Mouse add an extras $30-50, so $880-900 for the 2400 build, $900-920 for the i5-2500 chip, same hard drive, same cpu, better gpu, better monitor, and its still $200 less.
m
l
April 8, 2011 4:51:41 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
the 420 is basically an entry-level laptop card. It won't do heavy 3D gaming, but should handle your list of issues fairly well.

you could do a LOT better building for yourself...more powerful gpu, and/or lower cost, even without the monitor.

You can see my system in my signature. It was $700 WITH Win 7. a 23" (!) Acer monitor added to it would be $150, speakers, keyboard & Mouse add an extras $30-50, so $880-900 for the 2400 build, $900-920 for the i5-2500 chip, same hard drive, same cpu, better gpu, better monitor, and its still $200 less.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, no gaming, just photo and graphics stuff, some iTunes CD encoding and maybe a leeetle video. I may build something down the road for my home system, but for work, I want a warranty and some tech support. What Acer monitor are you comparing? I think the Ultrasharp U2311 is pretty decent, and IPS rather than TN.
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2011 11:31:51 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
This is the Acer monitor I was referring to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

also, what do you mean no warranty? All the parts come wuth 1 year, 3 year and loner warranties

Looks like the Acer gets pretty good reviews, though it's hard to tell what type. I'm looking for an IPS and it only says it's TFT, which I thought was another name for TN types.

I guess I mixed warranty and tech support together. This computer will be for work, so I don't want to figure out how to fix it should something go wrong. I want the short wait time tech support that Pro Support offers, which applies to software problems as well, not just a hardware warranty.

When it's time to replace my home PC I will take a shot at building my own. It sounds like a lot of fun and satisfaction, possibly saving some money, and get good quality parts. Not this time though ;-).
m
l
April 11, 2011 4:46:50 PM

Rethinking the CPU choice. Do you guys think that for what I'm going to do with this the i5 2500 is worth $110 over the i5 2400? I know, it's over priced compared to if I were building it, but I will probably keep this computer a while and don't have a lot of perspective on just how much difference in speed I'll notice, especially after three or four years.
m
l

Best solution

April 11, 2011 5:20:36 PM

I'd say the 2500 is NOT worth $110 more than the 2400. You'll still get great performance out of the 2400
April 11, 2011 6:19:53 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
I'd say the 2500 is NOT worth $110 more than the 2400. You'll still get great performance out of the 2400

Thanks Squirrel ;-). Between dropping the video card, CPU speed, and RAM to 2 GB, I'm down to around $842 + tax. I'll put the extra into RAM after purchase and wait and see on the GPU.
m
l
April 17, 2011 1:13:44 PM

Best answer selected by noonin.
m
l
April 17, 2011 1:24:01 PM

ScrewySqrl said:

I pulled the trigger last week and placed my order:

Vostro 460
i5 2400
2GB RAM, 2 dimms
Windows Pro 64 with XP Mode installed
Intel HD2000 integrated graphics
500GB HDD
DVD+-RW
Dell U2311H Ultrasharp monitor
Dell Multimedia Pro USB keyboard
2 years Pro Support

$877.00 + tax

I figure on dropping at least 4GB of RAM in as soon as I get it. I doin't get Dell's "upgrade" pricing...they trying to look like Apple? Just adding 2 GB would have cost me $60 at time of "build" :pt1cable: . Will wait and see on GPU.

Tried my best haggling on RAM or other upgrades, but there was already a $300 off deal on the "package" so she said that was it for discounts. I tied another sales rep, but he said he could'nt beat it.
Thanks for the advice :D 
m
l
April 18, 2011 1:26:30 PM

You might end up needing to replace the PSU if you get a decent GPU, you'll have to check out the actual specs on it.
m
l
!