pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hello, this has never been something that crossed my mind as my computer has never really had any problems, but recently i've been wondering why the multiplier for my Intel Q9550 was set at 8 rather than 8.5 and was curious if anyone knew how I would be able to set it to 8.5? I have a custom built computer with a XfX nForce 750i motherboard and 4x2048 wintec Ampx DDR2 Memory. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I'm really new when it comes to updating BIOS and whatnot, where would i be able to find out what version I am using?

Edit: I think this is it, in CPU-Z under the mainboard tab it says BIOS: Version V1.2 and the date is 12/17/2008.

Newer mobos, from the 775 socket and forward, are actually not bad when it comes to flashing the BIOS. Its easier and less risk since they have a backup sector on the ROM that allows it to self recover to the stock BIOS if something goes wrong. Some even have 2 ROM chips, one is a backup of course.

As for the multiplier, I can't help you as you need to register the product with XFX on their site to even access downloads, which is pure BS but hey thats what they want.

Its possible that that mobo, while supporting the Q9550 might not support the half multipliers that the Q9X50 series has.

pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

I actually already have newer BIOS versions downloaded on my computer that I was going to use for a previous problem but ended up not having too.

If any of the updated BIOS versions provides support for .5x increments, you will get your missing 166 Mhz for free....(which should provide up to a 2% boost at some resolutions below 1080P...)

Here, you can compare 9450 with 9550.......

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/Gaming-Left-4-Dead,2432.html

Perhaps the XFX support section will tell summarize what each BIOS version fixed; if 'supports Q9550' is in there, then I would imagine the 8.5X issue was properly addressed.

pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

One of the updates that I did download mentioned something about CPUs so I think that could be it. It is a bin file though and says I need to download a utility from the xfx website to open it. Unfortunately there are no utilities for me to download so not sure what to do with it. I'm also still curious if that extra 166 MHz would be worth it?

TRENDING THREADS