Your question
Closed

Need help picking a motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
March 16, 2012 5:11:47 AM

I'm building a system and this is the last thing I need to pick out and frankly I can't decide what to go with.

My parameters are it must be reliable and last a while, good onboard audio, easy overclocking is a plus, etc.
The main things I'll do will be computer gaming so that's something to keep in mind and I also highly doubt I'll ever run SLI/Crossfire.

Here's the two I'm torn between (any other suggestions are welcome too):
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Oh my other system specs are:
i5-2500k
16gb g.skill ripjaws (I know 16 is overkill but memory is cheap and expected to go up + I'll be having this system for a while)
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
750w PSU
Antec 1200 V3 Case
Seagate 1 TB HDD
OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD

More about : picking motherboard

a c 331 V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 5:21:40 AM

Get ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

Why?
Better OC capability due to power design - 12 -phase for CPU
3 year warranty vs 2.
USB3 headers.
Bluetooth V2.1+EDR
More USB2 ports
Anti-virus software (Norton OEM version)
Score
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 5:35:16 AM

nikorr said:
Get ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

Why?
Better OC capability due to power design - 12 -phase for CPU
3 year warranty vs 2.
USB3 headers.
Bluetooth V2.1+EDR
More USB2 ports
Anti-virus software (Norton OEM version)

+1^ :) 
Score
Related resources
March 16, 2012 5:36:00 AM

Thanks, I like it when people reply with reasons as well. I don't think I'll use the extra usb2.0's or the bluetooth but the 3 year warranty I do like. As far as overall build quality and things I'll actually use do you think the Asus merits the extra $40? I do love Asus, it was my last motherboard p5n-d, and I just want to "go out and date other boards" i.e. see if there's anything better out there or should I just stick with the old reliable? I was considering the asrock because it was slightly better reviewed on newegg and had more reviews
Score
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 5:45:35 AM

Don't worry, you won't regret if you go with ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 :) 

Which board you should buy?
Only you can answer that. If you don't want the extra features you see in the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, then go with ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 & save some money. :) 
Score
March 16, 2012 6:10:55 AM

Thanks for all your input guys I'll probably just flip a coin, but my last question (sorry) is does " Supports THX TruStudio" mean anything on the ASRock board? Does it mean improved audio quality or is it just snake oil? Both the asus and asrock use the Realtek ALC892 chipset so I didn't know if it meant anything or not
Score
March 16, 2012 11:53:04 AM

I would go with Asrock on this one. Gold caps & heatsinks on black PCB... looks sexy!
Score
March 16, 2012 1:05:07 PM

Asus = better name and all around quality. Bios is great.

Asrock = good boards for cheaper, but all around quality is spotty. (edit: some are very good don't take this the wrong way) This would be a decent board.

In this case if your not oc'ing go with w/e colors you like more haha as stupid as that sounds. Overall I think you'd be happier with the asus board, unless price is a major factor.

Here's how I would look at it. If I am overclocking I am going ASUS MSI or GIGABYTE, if not im going Asrock, Biostar, or cheaper Asus/msi/gigabyte boards. Its just a trust factor I have.
Score
a c 331 V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 1:11:11 PM

This ASRock is probably the best budget board available.

I build 2 PC's with this board and no problem as well.

OC past 4.2+GHz with no issue. And ASRock is an ASUS made company.
Score
a c 331 V Motherboard
March 16, 2012 1:20:35 PM

r1ahul said:
How about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think it's an amazing board considering the price its being offered at. Plus it has better software for the audio. Easy OC'ing as well

It is OPEN BOX, but great price indeed. Comes with ASUS warranty.

Newegg only guarantees your receipt of the Open Box product with the purchase of this item. Any accessories MAY OR MAY NOT be included. Newegg will NOT send you any missing accessories, even if it is required to use all of the item's functions.

Score
March 16, 2012 1:37:16 PM

nikorr said:
This ASRock is probably the best budget board available.

I build 2 PC's with this board and no problem as well.

OC past 4.2+GHz with no issue. And ASRock is an ASUS made company.

Yes Asrock is a spin off company from Asus. There are by no means the "same" company though. They are a subsidiary company and Asrock is there spinoff from Asus which is built by Asustek. At first I believed they were a direct split from Asus, so I had to look this up to be sure. In both cases we were a little wrong.

Pegatron = Asrock

Asustek = Asus

So basically Asrock is meant to compete with Oem. There design teams are seperate as well, and different parts are used to give more discounts etc.

Btw to the OG, the ROG Asus board he linked is very high quality if you can get it.
Score
March 17, 2012 8:47:25 AM

Quick question to help me pick my final decision, I decided to get a better power supply that upp'd my build price by $40 and while cost isn't an issue I don't want to get a whole bunch of features I'm never gonna use; I'm probably only ever going to run a single GPU, but my question between the Asus p8z68-v/gen3 and asrock extreme 3 gen 3 is I'm going to use a pci-e wireless adapter (pci-e > pci because of the lower profile) and I was looking at the layout of the asrock board and the PCI-e x1 slots are right next to the top pci-e 3.0 x16 am I going to have fitment issues using the top pci-e 3.0 for my GPU I can already picture dvi/hdmi cables getting in the way if I put the wireless adapter in the bottom slot or do you think that this is a non-issue and that the wireless adapter will work? The only reason I ask is that both mobo's have the pci-e 3.0 for future proofing, both are LGA1155 (obviously) for future cpu's and they both seem to have good OC'ing ability. The ASRock does seem to be a little higher rated than the ASUS on newegg. This is the very last piece I need to complete and order my build and it's my first build so I'm a little worried about making the wrong decision. If you guys could help me out on my wireless card worries that would be super appreciated.

ASUS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
a c 331 V Motherboard
March 17, 2012 9:02:56 AM

Don't get any PCI wireless card. Get instead USB, it has more power, faster reconnecting times and longer distance coverage.

I have Amped Wireless UA600 and after I got rid off my Linksys PCI card for this, What a difference that is. (I had this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

No more disconnections, PCI device slows down the boot time too. When I start the PC, type the password, and click on tom's HW shortcut, it is displayed in a second!

With that PCI (had 2 more to try) it started to connect after log in and it took few seconds.

Love it! My wife's iPad has about 6 networks to connect, I have about 40!

Linksys had about dozen.

Also this USB has 2 USB connections, for better strength, as it supply more power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
March 17, 2012 9:11:03 AM

Oh ok, but if I went with the ASRock would the internal wireless card have any fitment issues? Sorry, not trying to say I don't like that but it's $60>$20 and I don't ever intend to be too far away from my router, sorry don't want to sound like an unappreciative dick.
Score
a c 331 V Motherboard
March 17, 2012 9:15:49 AM

drunkenmonkey98 said:
Oh ok, but if I went with the ASRock would the internal wireless card have any fitment issues? Sorry, not trying to say I don't like that but it's $60>$20 and I don't ever intend to be too far away from my router, sorry don't want to sound like an unappreciative dick.

Its good to ask questions before u buy it and get sometimes stuck with it.

It comes with few feet of the USB cable, u plug it in the back and let it stand on the top of the PC or where ever u have a space for it.

And it works with W7 x64. Not all PCI cards work with x64 windows. Make sure of that.

Score
March 17, 2012 9:21:40 AM

Oh maybe I explained it wrong, sorry, I was just wondering if using an internal PCI-Express x1 Wireless Adapter would have any fitment issues with the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 due to the motherboard layout with the PCI-E x1 being located right on top and the other right below the upper PCI-E 3.0 x 16 slot (the upper one is where I want to put my GPU)
Score

Best solution

a c 331 V Motherboard
March 17, 2012 9:23:15 AM

drunkenmonkey98 said:
Oh maybe I explained it wrong, sorry, I was just wondering if using an internal PCI-Express x1 Wireless Adapter would have any fitment issues with the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 due to the motherboard layout with the PCI-E x1 being located right on top and the other right below the upper PCI-E 3.0 x 16 slot (the upper one is where I want to put my GPU)

No problem with fitment.
March 17, 2012 9:23:45 AM

Best answer selected by drunkenmonkey98.
Score
a c 331 V Motherboard
March 17, 2012 9:25:05 AM

You're welcome! Good luck : ))
Score
a c 331 V Motherboard
March 17, 2012 9:25:19 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score