Tony221268

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I had a power surge the other day. After that, the pc wouldn't boot. Nothing at all. No fan, no beep. Just a green light.

So I replaced the PSU with a new one (500w which should be ample). With the new PSU the fans started turning but no beeps and no success.

So, thinking that the CPU or board was fried and not wanting to pollute either with the existing components, I bought a new rig.

Motherboard (ASUS M4A88TDV Evo), new CPU (AMD Phenom ii x2 550) and 4gb of 1066 ddr3 Kingston memory. Hooked it all up to the 2nd PSU, no peripherals. No problems on install, no errant screwdrivers or drops. Checked it 100 times. All the pins in the right place. Power plugs fine. But no boot and no beep.

Now I am really grumpy. Is it the motherboard? Is it the CPU? Do I send one back or will the online vendor charge me if one is fine and the other one isn't. Or do I take the whole thing to some local pc shop where a monkey plugs it in to check it.

Or am I jinxed?

Tony221268

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah, just did that thanks. Only thing I can't see is speaker. No little one came with the board...so I had assumed that the beep would be internal to the board. Maybe I am wrong.

Tony221268

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Any help out there? I am just trying to understand what could be at fault and tips on how to diagnose it with limited resources.

I have a dead machine on my desk and am looking for any way to avoid spending more money on replacing good parts or (since I live rurally) having to take the thing to a PC repair place.

TRENDING THREADS