I5 Upgrade - system not stable, need advice!

robbiec

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hi all,

My faithful X2 4200+ rig finally died so I picked up some new components;

* i5 750 2.66Ghz (stock cooler)
* Asus P7P55D (standard) mobo
* Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Dominator i5 Memory Kit
CL8(8-8-8-24) 1.65V (CMD4GX3M2A1600C8)

The rest of the components remain the same;

* Thermaltake 480w PSU
* Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case (2 large chassis fans and 1 side fan)
* XFX 8800 GTS 320Mb video card
* Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD

I've had problems with it occasionally locking up pretty much since I built it. I had the RAM timings set via the XMP profile (1600Mhz) but I figured that since the RAM is not on the ASUS confirmed compatibly list I'd set the BIOS back to Auto where the system sets it to 1333Mhz which I can live with if I have to. I also updated the BIOS firmware to the latest version.

This seems to have stopped it freezing but now I'm finding that it's completely shutting down when I put it though and kind of performance test (e.g. the COH performance test or HL2 Lost Coast video stress test).

CPU temps are 40-45 idle with the stock cooler - which is obviously not ideal but doesn’t seem unusual from what I've read elsewhere. So perhaps it's the PSU not up to the job anymore?

I was planning on getting a better cooler and over clocking it at some point.. but at the mo I just want the thing to work reliably!

Any suggestions on what I should try next please?

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

EDIT: apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum

Sounds like the power supply to me. The thermaltake I believe you are talking about only has 18A on the +12V rails (ones used by the power hungry components such as the CPU and graphics card). The new I5 uses a lot more power than the 4200+. I'd think you were cutting it close before the upgrade. I would recommend an OCZ or Antec 600W power supply.

robbiec

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for the responses guys..

The PSU is this one (gotta be at least 4 years old) : http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153007

And yes I installed W7 64-bit fresh. The machine runs really quick, until I start a performance test :fou:

I ran Prime95 last night (not for that long) and the CPU temps peaked at about 70 - the machine was still stable though. Also, I ran realtemps with logging during a COH performance test and the temps were about 50 when the machine shutdown so I assume cooling is not an issue.

I will look at those 2 PSU's.

Any other thoughts much appreciated...

Cheers,
Rob.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I know it has doesn't seem required, but I recommend upgrading the cooling on that CPU to lower the temps anyway. It will provide a longer lifespan for the CPU.

Double check the memory with memtest, see what happens. RAM is a common cause of hard-to-explain computer failures.

robbiec

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Cool, cheers - will do once it's stable. Any prefs for an i5 cooler? This one seems popular: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-7-Pro-v2-S1366-A1156-S775-AM3-AM2plus-AM2-939-Up-to-130-Watts!

Will run memtest for a while later to see if it throws any errors up.

Thanks again,
Rob.

robbiec

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
So I think it's down to a choice of 2 PSU's

Corsair 650w http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-008-CS

OCZ 700w http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-032-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1098

The OCZ is more powerful and it's modular so seems the best option, however the Corsair said 52A on a single rail which (although I don't know what it actually means!) I gather is a good thing. I can't see the figures for the OCZ to compare the amps - can anyone help me make an informed choice?

THanks,
Rob.

There's no difference if a power supply has, for example, 30A on each of two +12 rails or if it has 60A on one +12 rail.
Modular is great. I have the 600W ocz modxtream. nice and quiet and great for cable management. It has 25A on each of the +12V rails. so I'd think the 700W OCZ would be better than the corsair. comes with a nice zippered case to put all your extra cables in too ;)

robbiec

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Cheers dude, I already ordered the 600w ocz - and a decent cooler! Hope that sorts it out :)

It's using a radeon 4350, a much lower powered graphics card that doesn't even require it's own 6-pin connector. It performs worse than the 4670 that doesn't need its own connector either so I'm assuming it would use even less power.

soshow2009

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I think power input is difference from output .
we can get the power point by some equip.
In fact ,the output power is four fifth as much as input