I did some serious scripting work with minefield sweeping in host 194,
first with Fed vs Fed (Nocturnes), then with Crystal vs Crystal
(Jades). Here are the results:

Minefields are NEVER swept in the turn they are laid. This does not
depend on ship experience, skill, ID, or even happiness. Not on if the
minefields are cloaked or not. Not on the type of minefield (ie. barb,
web, etc.).They are just not swept in the turn they are laid. Period.

Laying of minefields does happen in random order. At least for a single
race. Neither ship ID, experience, skill, or happiness determines the
order in which the minefields are laid.

If a single minesweeper is inside several minefields, it will sweep the
one with the lowest ID. If several minesweepers are inside several
minefields, the lowest ID minefield will be swept, and the other swept
minefields are picked at random.
Mind you, I did test this only twice for a single minesweeper, and once
for a group of five, so I am not 100% sure.

If 20 minesweepers try to sweep 20 cloaked barb minefields, they sweep
most of them. In my case 18 of the 20 cloaked fields are swept. If
indeed a chance of 25% to sweep a cloaked barb was implemented (as Tim
stated at the time), I presume it works as the following: the first
minesweeper tries to sweep the first cloaked minefield. If it succeds,
fine, its turn is over. If it doesn't succeed, it then tests if it
can sweep the second cloaked minefield. And so on. So if a minesweeper
have more than four cloaked mines as a target, odds that it will sweep
one of them are quite good, and way above 25%. That, however, may be as
intended. I have no way of knowing.

Sparrow

Yes, I also got the impression that the chance for sweeping a cloaked
MF is much higher than 25%.

BTW: Do you by chance now if the 25% chance is meant to be for
Barbs/Novas only or for the other 3 types as well? Even with a chance
of 25% per MF that would still be better than 100%, as it was before.
;-)))

Hmm, if I did the math thing right, the chances for a single ship to
sweep a minefield while inside n minefields would than be something
like that:

n = 1: 0,04
n = 2: 0,078
n = 3: 0,115
n = 4: 0,15

When there are more minesweepers the chances will not multiply, but
increase.

Jochen

Sparrow

Replace the formula with: 1-(0,75**n) with ** meaning exponential.

Got confused by typing and reading the previous posting. ;-O

Yup. But that's only a theory. No real test data to back it up. And
no intention on my part to gather it :).

> Minefields are NEVER swept in the turn they are laid. This does not
> depend on ship experience, skill, ID, or even happiness. Not on if the
> minefields are cloaked or not. Not on the type of minefield (ie. barb,
> web, etc.).They are just not swept in the turn they are laid. Period.

Come to think of it, I dimly remember sweeping minefields that were
just laid, not so many hosts ago. So, either there were a change, or
large groups of minelayers/sweepers (I used 20 of each) sitting
unmoving above a planet without attack orders behave in some
unexplainable way differently from single ships which are moving
around. Would be a bug either way.

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

A minesweeper shouldn't have a 2nd chance at another minefield. They
should be spending time tinkering around with one minefield and if they
fail, then they lose their chance because they spent the time on the
one.

Magik

I have had mine swept the turn laid (in previous hosts)... but I
recall that they were not Barb mines.

Maybe only non-Barb mines can be swept the turn laid?