What size laptop YOU like?

Since a laptops size is determined by its display
size....

I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
display? Or maybe 14"?
38 answers Last reply
More about what size laptop like

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > Since a laptops size is determined by its display
    > size....
    >
    > I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
    >
    > Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    > display? Or maybe 14"?

    Two things matter.
    The resolution of the display
    The quality of your eyes.

    I find 1024x768 adequate for most tasks, although I use 1280x1024 on the
    desktop. Make sure you will be using the display at it's intended
    resolution. You can switch resolution in software, but it's gonna look
    horrible. You gotta use the laptop's native resolution.

    The better your eyes, the smaller display you can tolerate.
    Nobody else can help you determine that.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > Since a laptops size is determined by its display
    > size....
    >
    > I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
    >
    > Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    > display? Or maybe 14"?

    I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
    backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
    any gaming or graphics editing).

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Since a laptops size is determined by its display
    > size....
    >
    > I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
    >
    > Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    > display? Or maybe 14"?

    This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
    it's even being discussed!

    Notan

    Notan wrote:
    > me@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >>Since a laptops size is determined by its display
    >>size....
    >>
    >>I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    >>IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
    >>
    >>Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    >>display? Or maybe 14"?
    >

    > This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
    > it's even being discussed!

    Yet you felt compelled to add NOTHING to the discussion.
    Sigh...
    mike

    > Notan

    ..

    mike wrote:

    > Notan wrote:
    > > me@privacy.net wrote:
    > >
    > >>Since a laptops size is determined by its display
    > >>size....
    > >>
    > >>I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > >>IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
    > >>
    > >>Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    > >>display? Or maybe 14"?
    > >

    > > This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
    > > it's even being discussed!
    >
    > Yet you felt compelled to add NOTHING to the discussion.
    > Sigh...

    I added my opinion.

    Notan

    For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
    will do.
    For editing text, 14" is good size, anything smaller and it's cramped.
    For graphics, a high resolution is recommended with 14", but I'd imagine 15
    would be better.

    I have 14", and it's a good size for prolonged work - I can look at the
    screen for a long time before I start yearning for something a little
    bigger.

    Duncan.

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Since a laptops size is determined by its display
    > size....
    >
    > I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
    >
    > Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    > display? Or maybe 14"?

    >For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
    >will do.

    How abt for a potential student?

    Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

    IMHO I think a screen should be big enough to display an A4 sheet of paper
    full size.

    My screen is slightly more than A4, so allows the usual scroll bars etc.

    It is also about the width of the keyboard, so aesthetically a good match.

    Number of pixels is an important factor. My laptop has a 1400x1050 screen,
    and the first thought is great resolution. Which is handy for reading lots
    of text files, but most websites assume 1Kx768 or so, and the text looks
    eye-strainingly small. I have to use Firefox to zoom the font to comfortable
    size.

    Essentially, don't pay for more pixels than you need. DVD isn't huge
    resolution, the web assumes medium resolution, and you need a good reason
    for high resolution.

    > Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    > display? Or maybe 14"?

    12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
    laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    >>For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
    >>will do.
    >
    > How abt for a potential student?
    >
    > Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?

    i'm still waiting for a laptop that can project a 3D hologram of whatever
    size i choose (depending on how big my room is) don't need a screen. ((:

    --redpill

    I started a business 2 years ago, and ran out and bought a BIG laptop -
    Compaq 3030 with 17" widescreen. Nice big keyboard, with a display
    that's like a desktop.

    Bad mistake for business - can't use it on airplanes when the person in
    front of my reclines their seat because the screen is TOO BIG! Since
    I fly a lot that's a big deal. Then I discovered that it's too damn heavy
    to pack around all day at trade shows in my briefcase.

    So the Compaq is now a secondary office computer, and I bought a
    Sony Vaio with 10" screen - weighs just a couple of pounds, and I
    LOVE IT. It lives in my briefcase, goes 3 hours on a charge, and
    I can use it even in tiny airplanes.

    So both have their purposes.

    Dave

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Since a laptops size is determined by its display
    > size....
    >
    > I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
    >
    > Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
    > display? Or maybe 14"?

    x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    > >For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
    >>will do.
    >
    > How abt for a potential student?
    >
    > Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?

    Most important thing is to get a good keyboard.

    There aren't many 10-12" with a good keyboard.

    In terms of screen size, you could just about get away with a 12", but I
    would recommend 14", even 15" is preferable.

    How much do you have to spend?

    Duncan.

    C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

    > I spend a minimum of 1200hrs a day on the computer

    Gee, that's impressive. And to think I complain about sometimes having to
    spend 14 or 15 hours a day at the computer!

    Regards,

    James

    C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

    > I spend a minimum of 1200hrs a day on the computer

    Gee, that's impressive. And to think I complain about sometimes having to
    spend 14 or 15 hours a day at the computer!

    Regards,

    James

    >i'm still waiting for a laptop that can project a 3D hologram of whatever
    >size i choose (depending on how big my room is) don't need a screen. ((:

    That would be way cool!!

    >Most important thing is to get a good keyboard.
    >
    >There aren't many 10-12" with a good keyboard.
    >
    >In terms of screen size, you could just about get away with a 12", but I
    >would recommend 14", even 15" is preferable.
    >
    >How much do you have to spend?

    Well Id "like" to keep it under $1000

    These things fall in price so much... and technology
    changes so fast.... I don't wanna buy cutting edge if I
    can avoid it

    I'm starting to look at computers as "disposable"
    really

    I'm just thanking if I really want something
    "portable"..... that maybe a 10-12" screen is better
    than 14-15"

    But.... clearly if one goes for a 10" screen then you
    have a keyboard too small to be useful, huh?

    >I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
    >backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
    >any gaming or graphics editing).

    What brand/model 15.4" laptop you have?

    >12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
    >laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.

    I'm "thinking" abt either the Dell 600m or 700m

    The 600m has a 14.1 " display

    The 700m has a 12.1" display

    >So the Compaq is now a secondary office computer, and I bought a
    >Sony Vaio with 10" screen - weighs just a couple of pounds, and I
    >LOVE IT. It lives in my briefcase, goes 3 hours on a charge, and
    >I can use it even in tiny airplanes.

    Hey!!!

    That's why I was thinking of a small laptop as well.
    Cause they have several Sony Vaio's above with 10"
    screen for the sales dept

    Those units look very cool!! I've just never had
    experience with a display that small. But I thought
    maybe Id be happy with a 12" anyway

    That Sony unit with 10" is the "T" series right?

    me@privacy.net writes:
    > I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
    > IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

    I like two sizes. Big and full featured, or small and portable. I
    use the big ones as desktop replacements and only occasionally take
    them places, so I want the biggest screen, best keyboard, etc. Right
    now I have a Thinkpad A20p (15.4" 1450x1080, around 7 lb, iirc) but
    would certainly enjoy a 17" 1920x1200 if such a thing were available.
    If I want to bring a laptop on a trip, I want the smallest one that
    doesn't sacrifice usability; I just got an X40 (12.1" 1024x768, 3 lb)
    and it's great. I don't see much point in getting a medium sized
    laptop since that combines the disadvantages of both big ones and
    small ones.

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
    >>backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
    >>any gaming or graphics editing).
    >

    > What brand/model 15.4" laptop you have?

    Dell Inspiron 6000

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
    >>laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.
    >

    > I'm "thinking" abt either the Dell 600m or 700m
    >
    > The 600m has a 14.1 " display
    >
    > The 700m has a 12.1" display

    You posted something earlier about small keyboards. The 700m doesn't
    have a standard size keyboard either -- it's about 10% smaller. If you
    have small hands then it should be ok, but if you have medium hands then
    it might take a while to get used to. If you have large hands, then
    forget about it.

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > I like two sizes. Big and full featured, or small and portable. I
    > use the big ones as desktop replacements and only occasionally take
    > them places, so I want the biggest screen, best keyboard, etc. Right
    > now I have a Thinkpad A20p (15.4" 1450x1080, around 7 lb, iirc) but
    > would certainly enjoy a 17" 1920x1200 if such a thing were available.
    > If I want to bring a laptop on a trip, I want the smallest one that
    > doesn't sacrifice usability; I just got an X40 (12.1" 1024x768, 3 lb)
    > and it's great. I don't see much point in getting a medium sized
    > laptop since that combines the disadvantages of both big ones and
    > small ones.

    You forgot one important aspect to consider: not everyone has enough
    money to buy 2 laptops.

    >You posted something earlier about small keyboards. The 700m doesn't
    >have a standard size keyboard either -- it's about 10% smaller. If you
    >have small hands then it should be ok, but if you have medium hands then
    >it might take a while to get used to. If you have large hands, then
    >forget about it.

    Fortunately I have small hands

    Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:39:33 -0400

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > I like two sizes. Big and full featured, or small and portable. I
    > use the big ones as desktop replacements and only occasionally take
    > them places, so I want the biggest screen, best keyboard, etc. Right
    > now I have a Thinkpad A20p (15.4" 1450x1080, around 7 lb, iirc) but
    > would certainly enjoy a 17" 1920x1200 if such a thing were available.
    > If I want to bring a laptop on a trip, I want the smallest one that
    > doesn't sacrifice usability; I just got an X40 (12.1" 1024x768, 3 lb)
    > and it's great. I don't see much point in getting a medium sized
    > laptop since that combines the disadvantages of both big ones and
    > small ones.

    You forgot one important aspect to consider: not everyone has
    enough money to buy 2 laptops.

    Where are you purchasing your laptops from? As for the first,
    second, or more laptops are really cheap as used. eBay is a good
    source. If you don't like that option, refurbished laptops is the
    next cheapest. Although many of refurbished laptops are overpriced
    in my humble opinion most of the time.

    I've purchased used or refurbished laptops since '84. Let's see,
    that makes five total so far. Only one of them from '94 doesn't work
    today.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    >Where are you purchasing your laptops from? As for the first,
    >second, or more laptops are really cheap as used. eBay is a good
    >source. If you don't like that option, refurbished laptops is the
    >next cheapest. Although many of refurbished laptops are overpriced
    >in my humble opinion most of the time.

    What models would you recommend are good buys off eBay?

    IOW.... if wanting to buy something smallish...what
    eBay model would be worth a look?

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > >Where are you purchasing your laptops from? As for the first,
    > >second, or more laptops are really cheap as used. eBay is a good
    > >source. If you don't like that option, refurbished laptops is the
    > >next cheapest. Although many of refurbished laptops are overpriced
    > >in my humble opinion most of the time.
    >
    > What models would you recommend are good buys off eBay?
    >
    > IOW.... if wanting to buy something smallish...what
    > eBay model would be worth a look?

    If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, i.e., a "small"
    laptop, I'd *seriously* consider trying the model out, first hand,
    before doing any type of mail order transaction.

    Again, this is such a subjective purchase, you'd be foolish to
    rely on what other people find "comfortable."

    Notan

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:09:26 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >Those units look very cool!! I've just never had
    >experience with a display that small. But I thought
    >maybe Id be happy with a 12" anyway
    >
    >That Sony unit with 10" is the "T" series right?

    Technically the TR series, but that's them. I've got its
    predecessor as my travel notebook, the picturebook - about the size of
    a large paperback with a 9" diagonal display, camera. Excellent for
    travel, but not sure I'd want to live with one day-in day-out again.
    And you'll want to try out the keyboard - Sonys have shallow keys that
    not everyone likes.
    Currently, I've got an IBM X30. Lightweight, good keyboard, 12"
    display, good battery life. The ultrabase adds full-size laptop
    functionality, but I never try to travel with it. If I were a student,
    it's the one I'd pick. If a class somehow required an optical drive
    all the time, I'd go with the T-series Thinkpads or recommision my old
    600X for duty.
    Emanuel

    > >So the Compaq is now a secondary office computer, and I bought a
    >>Sony Vaio with 10" screen - weighs just a couple of pounds, and I
    >>LOVE IT. It lives in my briefcase, goes 3 hours on a charge, and
    >>I can use it even in tiny airplanes.
    >
    > Hey!!!
    >
    > That's why I was thinking of a small laptop as well.
    > Cause they have several Sony Vaio's above with 10"
    > screen for the sales dept
    >
    > Those units look very cool!! I've just never had
    > experience with a display that small. But I thought
    > maybe Id be happy with a 12" anyway
    >
    > That Sony unit with 10" is the "T" series right?

    I have a T-series Vaio (VGN-T150P/L) and it is a cool little unit with a
    vibrant screen, but it can be pretty hard to read text with its native
    resolution. Also, it's fairly slow, even after adding 512 megs of RAM.
    Maybe that's all I can expect out of this type of computer. Last, it
    started crashing frequently shortly after I bought it and I had to send it
    back to Sony for warranty service, which is a PITA and it also makes me
    wonder how reliable their machines are (I may have just been the unlucky
    one, though). It's running fine now, though (albeit kinda slow).

    > I'm just thanking if I really want something
    > "portable"..... that maybe a 10-12" screen is better
    > than 14-15"
    >
    > But.... clearly if one goes for a 10" screen then you
    > have a keyboard too small to be useful, huh?

    The only 12" laptop with a full size keyboard that I know of is the IBM
    X31/X40. This isn't a disposable laptop. I wouldn't recommed buying a
    laptop as disposable. They are unreliable enough, and you're still want it
    to last 3 years, if not more. If you get a good, reliable laptop, it will
    carry on as an excellent word processor long after other laptops have broken
    down and died. However, you are correct in not going for cutting edge - you
    pay a massive premium for it. I bought my IBM T40 for about £1500 - it was
    bottom of the range. Top of the range was more than double this. I think
    it was a good buy for the quality (but only time will tell). If you're in
    USA you might be able to get an X40 new, for less than $1000 - but you'll
    need to find an external CD drive, if you need it.

    Duncan.

    >I have a T-series Vaio (VGN-T150P/L) and it is a cool little unit with a
    >vibrant screen, but it can be pretty hard to read text with its native
    >resolution. Also, it's fairly slow, even after adding 512 megs of RAM.
    >Maybe that's all I can expect out of this type of computer. Last, it
    >started crashing frequently shortly after I bought it and I had to send it
    >back to Sony for warranty service, which is a PITA and it also makes me
    >wonder how reliable their machines are (I may have just been the unlucky
    >one, though). It's running fine now, though (albeit kinda slow).

    wow

    not a very god report on that machine huh?!

    And to top it off those T series units are abt $2k new,
    right?

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:20:41 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, i.e., a "small"
    >laptop, I'd *seriously* consider trying the model out, first hand,
    >before doing any type of mail order transaction.

    Everyone says that, but it's getting harder and harder to find a
    good selection of laptops to try out even in major cities; if I still
    lived back home in KY, I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing
    anything I'd seriously consider using (non Wal-Mart or Best Buy junk)
    before I bought it. There are many more models than most retailers
    could reasonably stock.
    Emanuel

    E Brown wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:20:41 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    > >If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, i.e., a "small"
    > >laptop, I'd *seriously* consider trying the model out, first hand,
    > >before doing any type of mail order transaction.
    >
    > Everyone says that, but it's getting harder and harder to find a
    > good selection of laptops to try out even in major cities; if I still
    > lived back home in KY, I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing
    > anything I'd seriously consider using (non Wal-Mart or Best Buy junk)
    > before I bought it. There are many more models than most retailers
    > could reasonably stock.

    If you can't get your hands on one (literally!), be sure there's some
    type of return policy.

    Notan

    >For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
    >will do.

    My one thought abt getting a smallish laptop display
    (10-12") was that I might be taking this laptop in the
    car with me and using it as a GPS enabled device that
    would help me navigate when traveling.

    hence I kinda thought using 15" laptop display might be
    a bit "cumbersome"

    Yes? No?

    E Brown wrote:

    > Everyone says that, but it's getting harder and harder to find a
    > good selection of laptops to try out even in major cities; if I still
    > lived back home in KY, I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing
    > anything I'd seriously consider using (non Wal-Mart or Best Buy junk)
    > before I bought it. There are many more models than most retailers
    > could reasonably stock.
    > Emanuel

    I'm in Atlanta and I think there's a pretty good selection at CompUSA..
    at least, they carry HP, Gateway, Compaq, Toshiba, and some others like
    Avaratec. No IBM or Dell though.

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:17:57 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >hence I kinda thought using 15" laptop display might be
    >a bit "cumbersome"
    >
    >Yes? No?

    I personally prefer the 15" screens, but then again I don't fly
    frequently. The few occasions I have flown, I wasn't able to use my
    notebook comfortably while on the plane, but then again, I wasn't in
    first class either, I was back in "cattle cargo". I could use my
    system, but I was under the constant fear that the person in front of
    me would try to recline their seat, as it would have torqued my
    screen (and probably broken it). I'm not a small guy, but still,
    the "small" people on the plane with me were having the same
    problems...

    They've got everything from 5" LCD panel laptops to 17" monsters.
    Little ones like the Sony U50/70 series, QQQ, etc, to the mini-notebooks
    at around 2lbs like the Libretto U100 and JVC Interlink XP series, to
    the 3lbs models Sony T series, Fujitsu P7000 series, etc, to larger
    models.

    Small end, Libretto/Interlink XP is about as small as I'd go - keyboard
    still touch type ok, and the screen fonts aren't so small you'd kill
    yourself ala Sony U50/70 series (far too small, even zoomed in!).

    Otherwise, Sony FS series notebooks - nice, super-bright 400cd/meter sq.
    widescreen LCD, light enough to keep on your lap for many hours of work,
    full sized keyboard, sensible no square corners/nothing to catch on
    something case design.

    In between? Sony S or T series or Fujtsu P7000 or Panasonic W/Y series.
    while the first two are standard mini-notebook widescreen designs, the
    W/Y series are the only ones in the world at 3 lbs with a regular 12"/
    14" screen in a super-light notebook that has a built-in DVD burner
    (others have usually a smaller 10.4" screen).

    ---

    well, then again, any notebook on Sale would be something I'd Like as
    well! eg. recent dell.com $750 off $1400+ notebook sale!!
    (www.fatwallet.com/c/18/) or those $499 on sale notebooks (black friday,
    recent sales, probably another by Memorial Day).

Laptops Displays