What size laptop YOU like?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 25, 2005 5:17:21 PM

Since a laptops size is determined by its display
size....

I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
display? Or maybe 14"?

More about : size laptop

April 25, 2005 7:58:22 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

Two things matter.
The resolution of the display
The quality of your eyes.

I find 1024x768 adequate for most tasks, although I use 1280x1024 on the
desktop. Make sure you will be using the display at it's intended
resolution. You can switch resolution in software, but it's gonna look
horrible. You gotta use the laptop's native resolution.

The better your eyes, the smaller display you can tolerate.
Nobody else can help you determine that.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2005 8:59:52 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
any gaming or graphics editing).
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2005 9:31:21 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
it's even being discussed!

Notan
April 25, 2005 9:31:22 PM

Notan wrote:
> me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Since a laptops size is determined by its display
>>size....
>>
>>I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
>>IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>>
>>Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
>>display? Or maybe 14"?
>

> This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
> it's even being discussed!

Yet you felt compelled to add NOTHING to the discussion.
Sigh...
mike

> Notan

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2005 9:52:23 PM

mike wrote:

> Notan wrote:
> > me@privacy.net wrote:
> >
> >>Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> >>size....
> >>
> >>I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> >>IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
> >>
> >>Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> >>display? Or maybe 14"?
> >

> > This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
> > it's even being discussed!
>
> Yet you felt compelled to add NOTHING to the discussion.
> Sigh...

I added my opinion.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2005 1:36:11 AM

For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
will do.
For editing text, 14" is good size, anything smaller and it's cramped.
For graphics, a high resolution is recommended with 14", but I'd imagine 15
would be better.

I have 14", and it's a good size for prolonged work - I can look at the
screen for a long time before I start yearning for something a little
bigger.

Duncan.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?
April 26, 2005 1:36:12 AM

>For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
>will do.

How abt for a potential student?

Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2005 2:42:03 AM

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

IMHO I think a screen should be big enough to display an A4 sheet of paper
full size.

My screen is slightly more than A4, so allows the usual scroll bars etc.

It is also about the width of the keyboard, so aesthetically a good match.

Number of pixels is an important factor. My laptop has a 1400x1050 screen,
and the first thought is great resolution. Which is handy for reading lots
of text files, but most websites assume 1Kx768 or so, and the text looks
eye-strainingly small. I have to use Firefox to zoom the font to comfortable
size.

Essentially, don't pay for more pixels than you need. DVD isn't huge
resolution, the web assumes medium resolution, and you need a good reason
for high resolution.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2005 9:52:32 AM

> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2005 12:11:52 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
>>will do.
>
> How abt for a potential student?
>
> Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?

i'm still waiting for a laptop that can project a 3D hologram of whatever
size i choose (depending on how big my room is) don't need a screen. ((:

--redpill
April 26, 2005 12:39:20 PM

I started a business 2 years ago, and ran out and bought a BIG laptop -
Compaq 3030 with 17" widescreen. Nice big keyboard, with a display
that's like a desktop.

Bad mistake for business - can't use it on airplanes when the person in
front of my reclines their seat because the screen is TOO BIG! Since
I fly a lot that's a big deal. Then I discovered that it's too damn heavy
to pack around all day at trade shows in my briefcase.

So the Compaq is now a secondary office computer, and I bought a
Sony Vaio with 10" screen - weighs just a couple of pounds, and I
LOVE IT. It lives in my briefcase, goes 3 hours on a charge, and
I can use it even in tiny airplanes.

So both have their purposes.

Dave

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2005 2:25:48 PM

x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2005 10:11:11 PM

> >For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
>>will do.
>
> How abt for a potential student?
>
> Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?

Most important thing is to get a good keyboard.

There aren't many 10-12" with a good keyboard.

In terms of screen size, you could just about get away with a 12", but I
would recommend 14", even 15" is preferable.

How much do you have to spend?

Duncan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 12:39:56 AM

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> I spend a minimum of 1200hrs a day on the computer

Gee, that's impressive. And to think I complain about sometimes having to
spend 14 or 15 hours a day at the computer!

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 12:39:57 AM

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> I spend a minimum of 1200hrs a day on the computer

Gee, that's impressive. And to think I complain about sometimes having to
spend 14 or 15 hours a day at the computer!

Regards,

James
April 27, 2005 12:59:13 PM

>i'm still waiting for a laptop that can project a 3D hologram of whatever
>size i choose (depending on how big my room is) don't need a screen. ((:

That would be way cool!!
April 27, 2005 1:01:29 PM

>Most important thing is to get a good keyboard.
>
>There aren't many 10-12" with a good keyboard.
>
>In terms of screen size, you could just about get away with a 12", but I
>would recommend 14", even 15" is preferable.
>
>How much do you have to spend?

Well Id "like" to keep it under $1000

These things fall in price so much... and technology
changes so fast.... I don't wanna buy cutting edge if I
can avoid it

I'm starting to look at computers as "disposable"
really

I'm just thanking if I really want something
"portable"..... that maybe a 10-12" screen is better
than 14-15"

But.... clearly if one goes for a 10" screen then you
have a keyboard too small to be useful, huh?
April 27, 2005 1:02:29 PM

>I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
>backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
>any gaming or graphics editing).

What brand/model 15.4" laptop you have?
April 27, 2005 1:07:18 PM

>12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
>laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.

I'm "thinking" abt either the Dell 600m or 700m

The 600m has a 14.1 " display

The 700m has a 12.1" display
April 27, 2005 1:09:26 PM

>So the Compaq is now a secondary office computer, and I bought a
>Sony Vaio with 10" screen - weighs just a couple of pounds, and I
>LOVE IT. It lives in my briefcase, goes 3 hours on a charge, and
>I can use it even in tiny airplanes.

Hey!!!

That's why I was thinking of a small laptop as well.
Cause they have several Sony Vaio's above with 10"
screen for the sales dept

Those units look very cool!! I've just never had
experience with a display that small. But I thought
maybe Id be happy with a 12" anyway

That Sony unit with 10" is the "T" series right?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 1:18:28 PM

me@privacy.net writes:
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

I like two sizes. Big and full featured, or small and portable. I
use the big ones as desktop replacements and only occasionally take
them places, so I want the biggest screen, best keyboard, etc. Right
now I have a Thinkpad A20p (15.4" 1450x1080, around 7 lb, iirc) but
would certainly enjoy a 17" 1920x1200 if such a thing were available.
If I want to bring a laptop on a trip, I want the smallest one that
doesn't sacrifice usability; I just got an X40 (12.1" 1024x768, 3 lb)
and it's great. I don't see much point in getting a medium sized
laptop since that combines the disadvantages of both big ones and
small ones.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 3:54:19 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
>>I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
>>backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
>>any gaming or graphics editing).
>

> What brand/model 15.4" laptop you have?

Dell Inspiron 6000
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 3:55:21 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
>>12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
>>laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.
>

> I'm "thinking" abt either the Dell 600m or 700m
>
> The 600m has a 14.1 " display
>
> The 700m has a 12.1" display

You posted something earlier about small keyboards. The 700m doesn't
have a standard size keyboard either -- it's about 10% smaller. If you
have small hands then it should be ok, but if you have medium hands then
it might take a while to get used to. If you have large hands, then
forget about it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 6:39:33 PM

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I like two sizes. Big and full featured, or small and portable. I
> use the big ones as desktop replacements and only occasionally take
> them places, so I want the biggest screen, best keyboard, etc. Right
> now I have a Thinkpad A20p (15.4" 1450x1080, around 7 lb, iirc) but
> would certainly enjoy a 17" 1920x1200 if such a thing were available.
> If I want to bring a laptop on a trip, I want the smallest one that
> doesn't sacrifice usability; I just got an X40 (12.1" 1024x768, 3 lb)
> and it's great. I don't see much point in getting a medium sized
> laptop since that combines the disadvantages of both big ones and
> small ones.

You forgot one important aspect to consider: not everyone has enough
money to buy 2 laptops.
April 27, 2005 10:59:33 PM

>You posted something earlier about small keyboards. The 700m doesn't
>have a standard size keyboard either -- it's about 10% smaller. If you
>have small hands then it should be ok, but if you have medium hands then
>it might take a while to get used to. If you have large hands, then
>forget about it.

Fortunately I have small hands
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 11:09:06 PM

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:39:33 -0400

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I like two sizes. Big and full featured, or small and portable. I
> use the big ones as desktop replacements and only occasionally take
> them places, so I want the biggest screen, best keyboard, etc. Right
> now I have a Thinkpad A20p (15.4" 1450x1080, around 7 lb, iirc) but
> would certainly enjoy a 17" 1920x1200 if such a thing were available.
> If I want to bring a laptop on a trip, I want the smallest one that
> doesn't sacrifice usability; I just got an X40 (12.1" 1024x768, 3 lb)
> and it's great. I don't see much point in getting a medium sized
> laptop since that combines the disadvantages of both big ones and
> small ones.

You forgot one important aspect to consider: not everyone has
enough money to buy 2 laptops.

Where are you purchasing your laptops from? As for the first,
second, or more laptops are really cheap as used. eBay is a good
source. If you don't like that option, refurbished laptops is the
next cheapest. Although many of refurbished laptops are overpriced
in my humble opinion most of the time.

I've purchased used or refurbished laptops since '84. Let's see,
that makes five total so far. Only one of them from '94 doesn't work
today.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
April 27, 2005 11:09:07 PM

>Where are you purchasing your laptops from? As for the first,
>second, or more laptops are really cheap as used. eBay is a good
>source. If you don't like that option, refurbished laptops is the
>next cheapest. Although many of refurbished laptops are overpriced
>in my humble opinion most of the time.

What models would you recommend are good buys off eBay?

IOW.... if wanting to buy something smallish...what
eBay model would be worth a look?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 11:09:08 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> >Where are you purchasing your laptops from? As for the first,
> >second, or more laptops are really cheap as used. eBay is a good
> >source. If you don't like that option, refurbished laptops is the
> >next cheapest. Although many of refurbished laptops are overpriced
> >in my humble opinion most of the time.
>
> What models would you recommend are good buys off eBay?
>
> IOW.... if wanting to buy something smallish...what
> eBay model would be worth a look?

If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, i.e., a "small"
laptop, I'd *seriously* consider trying the model out, first hand,
before doing any type of mail order transaction.

Again, this is such a subjective purchase, you'd be foolish to
rely on what other people find "comfortable."

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 11:36:39 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:09:26 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>Those units look very cool!! I've just never had
>experience with a display that small. But I thought
>maybe Id be happy with a 12" anyway
>
>That Sony unit with 10" is the "T" series right?

Technically the TR series, but that's them. I've got its
predecessor as my travel notebook, the picturebook - about the size of
a large paperback with a 9" diagonal display, camera. Excellent for
travel, but not sure I'd want to live with one day-in day-out again.
And you'll want to try out the keyboard - Sonys have shallow keys that
not everyone likes.
Currently, I've got an IBM X30. Lightweight, good keyboard, 12"
display, good battery life. The ultrabase adds full-size laptop
functionality, but I never try to travel with it. If I were a student,
it's the one I'd pick. If a class somehow required an optical drive
all the time, I'd go with the T-series Thinkpads or recommision my old
600X for duty.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 5:34:30 AM

> >So the Compaq is now a secondary office computer, and I bought a
>>Sony Vaio with 10" screen - weighs just a couple of pounds, and I
>>LOVE IT. It lives in my briefcase, goes 3 hours on a charge, and
>>I can use it even in tiny airplanes.
>
> Hey!!!
>
> That's why I was thinking of a small laptop as well.
> Cause they have several Sony Vaio's above with 10"
> screen for the sales dept
>
> Those units look very cool!! I've just never had
> experience with a display that small. But I thought
> maybe Id be happy with a 12" anyway
>
> That Sony unit with 10" is the "T" series right?

I have a T-series Vaio (VGN-T150P/L) and it is a cool little unit with a
vibrant screen, but it can be pretty hard to read text with its native
resolution. Also, it's fairly slow, even after adding 512 megs of RAM.
Maybe that's all I can expect out of this type of computer. Last, it
started crashing frequently shortly after I bought it and I had to send it
back to Sony for warranty service, which is a PITA and it also makes me
wonder how reliable their machines are (I may have just been the unlucky
one, though). It's running fine now, though (albeit kinda slow).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 1:16:08 PM

> I'm just thanking if I really want something
> "portable"..... that maybe a 10-12" screen is better
> than 14-15"
>
> But.... clearly if one goes for a 10" screen then you
> have a keyboard too small to be useful, huh?

The only 12" laptop with a full size keyboard that I know of is the IBM
X31/X40. This isn't a disposable laptop. I wouldn't recommed buying a
laptop as disposable. They are unreliable enough, and you're still want it
to last 3 years, if not more. If you get a good, reliable laptop, it will
carry on as an excellent word processor long after other laptops have broken
down and died. However, you are correct in not going for cutting edge - you
pay a massive premium for it. I bought my IBM T40 for about £1500 - it was
bottom of the range. Top of the range was more than double this. I think
it was a good buy for the quality (but only time will tell). If you're in
USA you might be able to get an X40 new, for less than $1000 - but you'll
need to find an external CD drive, if you need it.

Duncan.
April 28, 2005 7:06:17 PM

>I have a T-series Vaio (VGN-T150P/L) and it is a cool little unit with a
>vibrant screen, but it can be pretty hard to read text with its native
>resolution. Also, it's fairly slow, even after adding 512 megs of RAM.
>Maybe that's all I can expect out of this type of computer. Last, it
>started crashing frequently shortly after I bought it and I had to send it
>back to Sony for warranty service, which is a PITA and it also makes me
>wonder how reliable their machines are (I may have just been the unlucky
>one, though). It's running fine now, though (albeit kinda slow).

wow

not a very god report on that machine huh?!

And to top it off those T series units are abt $2k new,
right?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 11:10:01 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:20:41 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, i.e., a "small"
>laptop, I'd *seriously* consider trying the model out, first hand,
>before doing any type of mail order transaction.

Everyone says that, but it's getting harder and harder to find a
good selection of laptops to try out even in major cities; if I still
lived back home in KY, I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing
anything I'd seriously consider using (non Wal-Mart or Best Buy junk)
before I bought it. There are many more models than most retailers
could reasonably stock.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 11:10:02 PM

E Brown wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:20:41 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
> >If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, i.e., a "small"
> >laptop, I'd *seriously* consider trying the model out, first hand,
> >before doing any type of mail order transaction.
>
> Everyone says that, but it's getting harder and harder to find a
> good selection of laptops to try out even in major cities; if I still
> lived back home in KY, I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing
> anything I'd seriously consider using (non Wal-Mart or Best Buy junk)
> before I bought it. There are many more models than most retailers
> could reasonably stock.

If you can't get your hands on one (literally!), be sure there's some
type of return policy.

Notan
April 28, 2005 11:17:57 PM

>For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
>will do.

My one thought abt getting a smallish laptop display
(10-12") was that I might be taking this laptop in the
car with me and using it as a GPS enabled device that
would help me navigate when traveling.

hence I kinda thought using 15" laptop display might be
a bit "cumbersome"

Yes? No?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 3:17:28 AM

E Brown wrote:

> Everyone says that, but it's getting harder and harder to find a
> good selection of laptops to try out even in major cities; if I still
> lived back home in KY, I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing
> anything I'd seriously consider using (non Wal-Mart or Best Buy junk)
> before I bought it. There are many more models than most retailers
> could reasonably stock.
> Emanuel

I'm in Atlanta and I think there's a pretty good selection at CompUSA..
at least, they carry HP, Gateway, Compaq, Toshiba, and some others like
Avaratec. No IBM or Dell though.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 7:37:15 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:17:57 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>hence I kinda thought using 15" laptop display might be
>a bit "cumbersome"
>
>Yes? No?

I personally prefer the 15" screens, but then again I don't fly
frequently. The few occasions I have flown, I wasn't able to use my
notebook comfortably while on the plane, but then again, I wasn't in
first class either, I was back in "cattle cargo". I could use my
system, but I was under the constant fear that the person in front of
me would try to recline their seat, as it would have torqued my
screen (and probably broken it). I'm not a small guy, but still,
the "small" people on the plane with me were having the same
problems...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2005 9:10:57 PM

They've got everything from 5" LCD panel laptops to 17" monsters.
Little ones like the Sony U50/70 series, QQQ, etc, to the mini-notebooks
at around 2lbs like the Libretto U100 and JVC Interlink XP series, to
the 3lbs models Sony T series, Fujitsu P7000 series, etc, to larger
models.

Small end, Libretto/Interlink XP is about as small as I'd go - keyboard
still touch type ok, and the screen fonts aren't so small you'd kill
yourself ala Sony U50/70 series (far too small, even zoomed in!).

Otherwise, Sony FS series notebooks - nice, super-bright 400cd/meter sq.
widescreen LCD, light enough to keep on your lap for many hours of work,
full sized keyboard, sensible no square corners/nothing to catch on
something case design.

In between? Sony S or T series or Fujtsu P7000 or Panasonic W/Y series.
while the first two are standard mini-notebook widescreen designs, the
W/Y series are the only ones in the world at 3 lbs with a regular 12"/
14" screen in a super-light notebook that has a built-in DVD burner
(others have usually a smaller 10.4" screen).

---

well, then again, any notebook on Sale would be something I'd Like as
well! eg. recent dell.com $750 off $1400+ notebook sale!!
(www.fatwallet.com/c/18/) or those $499 on sale notebooks (black friday,
recent sales, probably another by Memorial Day).
!