ASUS ROG vs Sabertooth

viktorbkk

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I have been using a Rampage Extreme III for quite some time now, and I have to say I am very satisfied with it. 100% trouble free operation, and overclocking was ridiculously easy. I would highly recommend any ROG motherboard.

I haven't used a Sabertooth motherboard before, so I can't comment on that. Their styling looks neat though. (But not as neat as an ROG motherboard.)

I am assuming you are referring to either the LGA 2011 ASUS Rampage IV Extreme vs Sabertooth X79. All the LGA 2011 systems I've built are R4E and one Sabertooth X79 (my personal rig), and knock on wood the R4E is a no brainier and have been problem free, in contrast my Sabertooth as I write this is @ ASUS after it had a quick death (absolutely fantastic for 48 hours!).

Hope that answers the question.

game junky

Distinguished
Depends on the socket - some Rampage board have additional PCIe sockets, some have additional SATAII/III ports, some have additional USB 3.0/2.0 ports, it's really easier to click the compare link between the different boards you are researching.

The main difference between the 2 is the Sabertooth boards use TUF for several of the components and on the 990FX it uses a ceramic coating on the heatsinks adjacent to the proc. They also have tested those boards a little more rigorously and they have a 5 year warranty.

I picked the Sabertooth 990FX for my build because of:

the additional 2 years of warranty
I am not planning to SLI so I don't need the additional port options
I only use an eSata 3GB drive dock, don't need an eSata 6GB
Only have 1 device currently using USB 3.0, don't need additional ports
none of the other features seemed enticing enough to spend the extra $100

If I were in your shoes (which I was), I would look at the features that are different between the devices, look at what you're intending to use in your build and figure out whether you want 2 more years of warranty or additional PCIe ports