Viewing jpg in digicam when resized with Photoshop doesn't..

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 16, 2005 9:53:11 AM

I tried this with 3 digital cameras, a pentax, a sony and a sanyo. I
always had the same problem. I took a photo taken by the camera,
resized it in photoshop, saved it to the memory card under the same
name. After this, it was not able anymore to view the picture in the
camera, it shows an explamation mark or an error message. I thought of
using my camera as an album to carry thousands of pictures in
display-quality.

I also tried playing with exif. I took a picture with 4 Megapixels,
resized it to 320*240 using my camera. I resized the big version down
to 320*240 as well, opened the 320-picture produced by the camera and
used photoshop to extract header data and attach it to the other one.
It didn't work either, the camera can display its own resized picture
but not the one from photoshop.

What can I do? What's the problem?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:51:21 AM

Hi David,

thanks for your answer, seems to solve my problem for 35 $. On the
other side this should be possible without any additional (commercial)
software, especially with such a powerful software like Photoshop.
Furthermore I wanted to watch the pictures on the display, not on a TV,
therefore I wanted to have the pictures exactly at the resolution of my
display. That does not seem to be possible with your software.

So long,
mhuhn
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:26:10 PM

mhuhn wrote:
> I tried this with 3 digital cameras, a pentax, a sony and a sanyo. I
> always had the same problem. I took a photo taken by the camera,
> resized it in photoshop, saved it to the memory card under the same
> name. After this, it was not able anymore to view the picture in the
> camera, it shows an explamation mark or an error message. I thought of
> using my camera as an album to carry thousands of pictures in
> display-quality.
[]
> What can I do? What's the problem?

You could try my TVwriter software:

http://www.satsignal.net/ => Image Utilities, TVwriter

It allows you to place edited images back onto the memory card for viewing
in the camera, and taking round as a highly portable slide-show.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:54:54 PM

On 16 Feb 2005 06:53:11 -0800, "mhuhn" <mhuhn.de@gmail.com> wrote:

>I tried this with 3 digital cameras, a pentax, a sony and a sanyo. I
>always had the same problem. I took a photo taken by the camera,
>resized it in photoshop, saved it to the memory card under the same
>name. After this, it was not able anymore to view the picture in the
>camera, it shows an explamation mark or an error message. I thought of
>using my camera as an album to carry thousands of pictures in
>display-quality.
>
>I also tried playing with exif. I took a picture with 4 Megapixels,
>resized it to 320*240 using my camera. I resized the big version down
>to 320*240 as well, opened the 320-picture produced by the camera and
>used photoshop to extract header data and attach it to the other one.
>It didn't work either, the camera can display its own resized picture
>but not the one from photoshop.
>
>What can I do? What's the problem?

Most likely, the camera stores a thumbnail of the image within the
EXIF part of the Jpeg for fast LCD preview capability. When you bugger
about with it in Photoshop, the thumbnail gets lost. Photoshop would
have no idea how to recreate the thumbnail in whatever proprietary
format your camera needs even if you asked it to.

Small hard-disk based devices exist that have the capability to store
and display jpegs on their (slightly larger) built in color LCD, with
additional capability to run slideshows to a TV. These things have
card-readers built in and a USB port to upload/download with.

Here is an example:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/news/digpop/567.html

So, stop wasting time and get yer wallet out. :-)

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

mhuhn wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for your answer, seems to solve my problem for 35 $. On the
> other side this should be possible without any additional (commercial)
> software, especially with such a powerful software like Photoshop.
> Furthermore I wanted to watch the pictures on the display, not on a
> TV, therefore I wanted to have the pictures exactly at the resolution
> of my display. That does not seem to be possible with your software.
>
> So long,
> mhuhn

TVwriter allows you to retain the input resolution, so it should meet your
requirements. If your desired display resolution is not included, why not
ask me to add it? As the existing users can confirm, I am happy to
improve the program along lines which are of general interest, and usually
give a fast response to such requests.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:06:42 PM

mhuhn wrote:
> I tried this with 3 digital cameras, a pentax, a sony and a sanyo. I
> always had the same problem. I took a photo taken by the camera,
> resized it in photoshop, saved it to the memory card under the same
> name. After this, it was not able anymore to view the picture in the
> camera, it shows an explamation mark or an error message. I thought of
> using my camera as an album to carry thousands of pictures in
> display-quality.
>
> I also tried playing with exif. I took a picture with 4 Megapixels,
> resized it to 320*240 using my camera. I resized the big version down
> to 320*240 as well, opened the 320-picture produced by the camera and
> used photoshop to extract header data and attach it to the other one.
> It didn't work either, the camera can display its own resized picture
> but not the one from photoshop.
>
> What can I do? What's the problem?

This is true of most cameras. In order to save rom space, manufacturers
make assumptions about the exact nature of the jpeg compression used.
It if differs from your program, then the camera will not be able to
handle it.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

mhuhn <mhuhn.de@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried this with 3 digital cameras, a pentax, a sony and a sanyo. I
> always had the same problem. I took a photo taken by the camera,
> resized it in photoshop, saved it to the memory card under the same
> name. After this, it was not able anymore to view the picture in the
> camera, it shows an explamation mark or an error message. I thought of
> using my camera as an album to carry thousands of pictures in
> display-quality.
>
> I also tried playing with exif. I took a picture with 4 Megapixels,
> resized it to 320*240 using my camera. I resized the big version down
> to 320*240 as well, opened the 320-picture produced by the camera and
> used photoshop to extract header data and attach it to the other one.
> It didn't work either, the camera can display its own resized picture
> but not the one from photoshop.
>
> What can I do? What's the problem?

Most likely, the camera includes a thumbnail/preview image in each image
you take. It uses this image to display in-camera. (This keeps image

If you're already extracting and re-inserting exif data, then you
probably have a way to regenerate the preview picture for the edited
photo. The preview is usually stored within the exif data.

In fact, you could probably make an 'empty' picture file with just the
exif preview, for viewing in your camera.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 2:55:39 PM

In article <1108565591.684091.253090@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"mhuhn" <mhuhn.de@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried this with 3 digital cameras, a pentax, a sony and a sanyo. I
> always had the same problem. I took a photo taken by the camera,
> resized it in photoshop, saved it to the memory card under the same
> name. After this, it was not able anymore to view the picture in the
> camera, it shows an explamation mark or an error message. I thought of
> using my camera as an album to carry thousands of pictures in
> display-quality.
>
> I also tried playing with exif. I took a picture with 4 Megapixels,
> resized it to 320*240 using my camera. I resized the big version down
> to 320*240 as well, opened the 320-picture produced by the camera and
> used photoshop to extract header data and attach it to the other one.
> It didn't work either, the camera can display its own resized picture
> but not the one from photoshop.
>
> What can I do? What's the problem?

The problem is you've changed the picture outside the camera. If you
re-size using the camera's firmware then you'll have no problem.
Camera media is a great way to transfer files between computers - these
media will accept almost any file - Excel, Word etc, but the camera
doesn't have the capacity to view these files.

If you want to display photos like an album, I'd suggest buying a cheap
battery operated DVD player (less than $100) - the one with a built-in
screen. Resize the photos to the pixel size of the display. Not only
will you get a bigger picture but accessing one particular picture will
be easier.
!