What happens if I use a 140 watt cpu with a 125 watt max motherboard?

brakndawnt

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I'm looking at buying a barebones kit to build a new PC. However, I'm noticing they've bundled a 140 Watt CPU with a motherboard that lists as supporting up to 125 Watt. I'm wondering what would happen if I went ahead and bought it and assembled it. I'm hearing that it will power-starve the CPU, but I'm not sure I'm understanding what effects "power-starving" it would do.

Kari

Splendid
instability under full load if it just cuts power, or in the worst case it'll fry the transistors on the power circuitry on the mobo... It might work just fine if they used beefier components with decent safety margins and proper overcurrent protection, but I wouldn't risk it.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Nuclear_fireball.jpg

just kidding, but it would likely damage the board and definitely void the warranty.

blacksheep101

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I'd just generally be a bit skeptical as to why a barebones company is bundling what most would say is incompatible/not ideal parts. I'd keep looking. I don't think many really would know what would happen because they probably generally avoided doing this at most costs.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Putting a 125w cpu in a 125w board and then raising the voltage to 1.45v and Ocing to 3.7ish ghz would easily push the cpu beyond the 125w rating, but people do this regularly with no issues. I wouldnt worry about it. I have a 955be at 1.525v and 4.1ghz on water in a 125w board with no issues what so ever. Granted it is a quality board from gigabyte so that may have some impact.

notty22

Distinguished
Some have had this situation and just get a bios warning at startup, unsupported cpu press F1 to continue. Others have had the unpleasant experience of the bios not continuing on at all. Unsupported cpu *bios won't boot.
The TDP's are at stock, any o/c quickly rises it.