Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ahhh!! Please restore loading Ord onto newly built ships. ..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 18, 2005 1:26:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Ok, I've just experienced the fruitless joy of building a bunch of
minelayers over a base with oodles of ord on it only to find out the Ord is
still sitting there in the base per recent host change. This base will now
fall into the hands of mine enemy as I won't be able to lay the minefields
in time to save it. :-( Perhaps rather than rechange host another answer to
this could be to allow the minelaying ships to set commands to lay mines
even when they don't have the Ord in storage. Currently ships minefield
command screens are useless when the Ord isn't onboard. If I were able to
set my ships to lay fields as well as beam up the ord the same turn this
would solve this problem.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:33:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

I, too, would be in favor of letting ships load Ord and lay mines with that
ord on the same turn.

But that still doesn't fix the problem of the new ship being unable to
defend itself with Ord weapons for a turn.

Was the problem fixed here, having new ships take ord that you wanted to go
to pre-existing ships, less than the new problems created?


"Eric" <AzureMonster@AzureMonsters.Lair> wrote in message
news:iS%We.64692$PM3.63780@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Perhaps rather than rechange host another answer to
> this could be to allow the minelaying ships to set commands to lay mines
> even when they don't have the Ord in storage. \
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:33:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Yes.

Now a fighter blockade completely rules orbit. Go ahead, build sandcaster
ships! No ord = wreckage pods!


"Beezle" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D Q0Xe.2945$5n4.986@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
> I, too, would be in favor of letting ships load Ord and lay mines with
> that
> ord on the same turn.
>
> But that still doesn't fix the problem of the new ship being unable to
> defend itself with Ord weapons for a turn.
>
> Was the problem fixed here, having new ships take ord that you wanted to
> go
> to pre-existing ships, less than the new problems created?
>
>
> "Eric" <AzureMonster@AzureMonsters.Lair> wrote in message
> news:iS%We.64692$PM3.63780@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>> Perhaps rather than rechange host another answer to
>> this could be to allow the minelaying ships to set commands to lay mines
>> even when they don't have the Ord in storage. \
>
>
September 18, 2005 5:48:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Fighter blockade always rules orbit. Go ahead, build sandcaster ships!
the sandcaster attack fighter button is off. That's always been true.
No sandcaster attack fighter button ON = wreckage pods!

Maurok wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Now a fighter blockade completely rules orbit. Go ahead, build sandcaster
> ships! No ord = wreckage pods!
>
>
> "Beezle" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D Q0Xe.2945$5n4.986@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
> > I, too, would be in favor of letting ships load Ord and lay mines with
> > that
> > ord on the same turn.
> >
> > But that still doesn't fix the problem of the new ship being unable to
> > defend itself with Ord weapons for a turn.
> >
> > Was the problem fixed here, having new ships take ord that you wanted to
> > go
> > to pre-existing ships, less than the new problems created?
> >
> >
> > "Eric" <AzureMonster@AzureMonsters.Lair> wrote in message
> > news:iS%We.64692$PM3.63780@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >> Perhaps rather than rechange host another answer to
> >> this could be to allow the minelaying ships to set commands to lay mines
> >> even when they don't have the Ord in storage. \
> >
> >
September 18, 2005 7:56:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

"Beezle" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D Q0Xe.2945$5n4.986@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
> I, too, would be in favor of letting ships load Ord and lay mines with
that
> ord on the same turn.
>
> But that still doesn't fix the problem of the new ship being unable to
> defend itself with Ord weapons for a turn.
>
> Was the problem fixed here, having new ships take ord that you wanted to
go
> to pre-existing ships, less than the new problems created?

Aha, you are correct and Maurok painted an ugly scenario. While having ord
loaded onto ships that you didn't want it on was a pain, not having it
loaded onto ships you want or *need* it on is much worse than a pain, it can
be quite catastrophic. Perhaps there's another solution? Perhaps a screen in
the build process much like a transfer screen where one can choose what the
new ship will be loaded up with? Perhaps the same for quick build ships?
With quick build not only would the normally neccessary $ and metals need to
be on a base but also the goods you want loaded aboard. Of course you could
elect to have nothing loaded aboard. I wholeheartedly believe the added
option to determine what exactly is or isn't loaded on your ships upon them
being built would be the greatest positive addition that could be added to
this game.It would speed things up immensely.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:02:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

This should definitely be removed, as client-side checks to *prohibit*
things are no good. As soon as there is another client without that
check (I still haven't given up hope..), it doesn't work anymore. This
is indeed the major difference between planets 3 and 4... (or at least
should be).

Jochen
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

That would indeed be great. And when it would get implemented, I would
also suggest to allow to put *all* kinds of parts on ships when using
quickbuild, not only those parts you have the tech level. Of course
those parts, that you can't build because of the tech level would have
to be in a base already. I still don't know the reason why you can use
these parts in "normal" shipbuild but not in quickshipbuild. And of
course parts used in quickshipbuild should be shown as being
removed....

Jochen
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

I've brought this up before... Tim PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE turn on
sandcasters and give us a cargo loadout page when building ships.

My first VGAP4 game ever I almost lost my homeworld because my
sandcasters were turned off when I built a hoard of ships to fight off
an incoming Virgo with full fighters...

GK
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

You can lay a minefield the next turn if you have no ord on the ship atm. If
the commands of laying minefield is "still active" meaning you have the
repeat button pressed turn(s) ago, ordered the ship to lay mines and never
pressed lay no mines you ship will lay a mine as soon as you beam up ord.
Although this is usually not the case when you build a new ship;)
The whole thing is a rather "cosmetic" thing in client as client checks
wheather there´s ord on the ship or not. Host does not check this (at least
it seems to be this way).
So a suggestion is to remove this check. Should be a easy thing to do.

Greetings
Sebastian
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:01:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Black No1 wrote:
> That would indeed be great. And when it would get implemented, I would
> also suggest to allow to put *all* kinds of parts on ships when using
> quickbuild, not only those parts you have the tech level. Of course
> those parts, that you can't build because of the tech level would have
> to be in a base already. I still don't know the reason why you can use
> these parts in "normal" shipbuild but not in quickshipbuild. And of
> course parts used in quickshipbuild should be shown as being
> removed....
>
> Jochen
>
I used to think this was the way to go, but in another respect, the QB
files are more or less to build "production models" while the Build Ship
Screen allows a more custom approach. If you were trying to fit alien or
cutting edge parts it would need to be done "one off".

Loading ord etc. would be a good idea on all ships, you would not build
a mine layer unless you wanted to lay some mines. Unfortunately when one
thing gets adjusted it tends to knock something out of whack.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:07:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

This is a way it can be seen, but imho the different treatment of
standard and quickshipbuild adds nothing to the game but frustration
and more micromanagement.
Either way, parts already present in bases, that are used in quickship
build, should definitely be shown as used (and the mc + minerals should
*not* get substracted). The way it is know, I consider as a bug in the
client.

Jochen
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 12:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

I'm not so concerned about the concept of production models vs custom
build... it's the dull work of outfitting multiple ships, especially
late game. It takes too long to load High Guard/Troops/Fuel/Ord/Repair
to 20 small ships (deth specs or such).

I think many players want to see a full load out/transfer available in
the quick build, to quickly clone the ship, built with transfer
commands.

I'd also like the QB to go further and allow me to "build fleet" so
that I can quickly set the ship grouping to the same settings.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:49:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Please load 500 or 1000 ord on new build ships.

Until we get a load screen into quick build and Ship building.


Lord Lancelot
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:01:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

That would be fine with me. I think most of us could live with that.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:57:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Tim, Is it possible to add 0 ord to ship without any weapon, and 5K ord
with ship with weapon or with mine laying capacity ?

I think some player like me build low cost mine layer, with no weapon,
it would be nice to still have them loaded with 5 K ord.

Lord Lancelot
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 1:59:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Or if an extra loadout screen seems too much, perhaps a simple switch
to 'Load Ord' in the build/quick build screen would work... but again I
would REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
like a loadout screen. No... realy... I would.
General Kael
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 3:10:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

"Or if an extra loadout screen seems too much, perhaps a simple switch
to 'Load Ord' in the build/quick build screen would work..."


I think this should be simple enought and fast to do.
also make a similar switch for repair, and load 2 hg.

Lord Lancelot
September 22, 2005 9:11:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

I think everyone would. :-)

"General Kael" <christougher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1127365183.994582.209760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Or if an extra loadout screen seems too much, perhaps a simple switch
> to 'Load Ord' in the build/quick build screen would work... but again I
> would REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
> REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
> like a loadout screen. No... realy... I would.
> General Kael
>
!