P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68 or P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68?

nodellsplease

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I am trying to put together a new system and posted a question in that category. Responses included getting a P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard instead without any rationale for the change. I do video encoding/editing and plan to get an I7 2600K but no real gaming. All responses included getting a video card. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Z68 chipset? Would a P67 be a better choice? My thoughts were by getting a Z68 I wouldn't need a video card but would still have the ability to overclock. As far as RAM, I read that the 2600K only supports up to DDR3-1333 and the warranty is void if you use anything faster. I was planning on getting 8GB of DDR3-1600 1.5v.

Appreciate any thoughts on all this.

GhosT94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
the only diff is I/O , the pro got a couple more sata and an audio feature i dont remember and u should go with higher ram if you can for video transcoding

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
How many HDD do you plan? With regular -v, you get 4 SATA II at 3GB/s and 2 SATA III at 6GB/s. With the -v Pro, you get 2 more SATA III ports using the Marvell controller (which I believe is something in addition to the z68 spec). However, the Marvell controller does not work, or something, with SDDs. Or maybe you can't Raid 2 HDDs with the Marvell controller.

Do if you want 2 HDD at 6GB/s and an SSD -- also at max of 6GB/s -- how are you going to arrange this? (Assuming 2 HDD in non-Raid config -- video editing ?) Then there's the consideration that your SATA III HDD won't saturate the channel at SATA II anyway, or something like that.

I don't have all the specifics. Still new. But as I understand it, these are the issues relevant to the -v vs -v Pro question. I have the -v. Regular user. Et cetera.

Hopefully, others more knowledgeable can clarify things.

Also, for regular computer stuff, you can have you monitors use on-board HDMI/DVI/VGA and completely free your graphics card for dedicated video processing, (with no conflict to your DVD and youtube watching while the video card works on your project).

nodellsplease

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I plan on using an SSD for the OS and a 1.5TB HDD for large file storage. I had kind of decided to go with the -v pro, but the mention of the Marvell controller not working with SSDs is going to force me to do a little more research. Thanks!

roseey

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hello Nodellsplease,

You can still get the V-Pro; I have a P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 with an SSD and a HDD. What happens is that when booting up the system the Marvell controller will come on stating no disk found. (I believe that the Marvell controller needs to be dis-engaged but I'm not sure - still reading up, and a newcomer). But apart from that both disks (SSD and HDD) works fine.

nodellsplease

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks all...the Pro version does have an audio feature the -v doesn't "ASUS Crystal Sound - DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC delivers exceptional 5.1 surround experience through the most common PC audio setups - your existing stereo speakers or headphones. In addition to virtual surround, “Bass enhancement” provides stronger low frequency bass sound, and “Voice clarification” provides clear human dialogue even with loud background sound. With these technologies, you may experience a better home-theater audio with ease." Sounds good, but worth an extra $20?...don't know but will probably go with it anyway.

As to the Marvell controller,
What happens is that when booting up the system the Marvell controller will come on stating no disk found. (I believe that the Marvell controller needs to be dis-engaged but I'm not sure - still reading up, and a newcomer). But apart from that both disks (SSD and HDD) works fine.
I downloaded the Asus manual and it says there are 2 Intel 6.0 Gb/s connectors and 2 Marvell 6.0 Gb/s connectors. Logic would say that simply plugging the SSD into the Intel connector would make the Marvell controller a non-issue. Right? Wrong?

weirdtop

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Right.
exactly what i have done.
I have the
Asus P8z68-v Pro gen3 with
Intel 520 SSD 120G (OS drive)
Seagate 7200 barracuda 1TB (storage drive)

[also but not relevant to the OP question]
i5 2500K
Gainward GTX560Ti