How to setup Asus Xonar D2X soundcard audio center for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylow

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hi,

I was wondering how I should setup my asus xonar D2x Audio center for gaming with Headphones and 5.1 speakers.

Right now I have my settings like this for my headphone:

Audio Channel: 8ch

Sample Rate: PCM 96 KHz

Analog Out: Headphone

SPDIF Out: Not selected

7.1 Virtual Speakers shifter: Selected

Dolby Headphone: Selected

fejde1.jpg

Will this give me a good directional audio sound for FPS Gaming like Battlefield bad company 2? I really need to know if ppl are shooting from left, right, behind, infront etc. Do I need to change anything within the settings? Do I just change the analog out to 5.1 when i use my Logitech 5.1 speakers?? Right now I have my speaker jacks plugged into the sound card within my computer and my headphone plugged into the speaker headphones output. will this affect any sound performance? It seems like im not getting much bass from my headphone when I plug it into this sound card whereas when i plug my headphone into the usb soundcard from my Logitech G330 I get a much bigger bass on my Sony MDR XB500 when i listen to music. And during gameplay I notice that by turning Dolby Headphone n 7.1 virtual speaker shifter on i get a nice bass but i lose the directional surround sound whereas when i turn those 2 off I can then tell that the helicopter is on my left n it just flew to my right etc but i lose the bass.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Solution
Dolby Headphone maps a 5.1/7.1 audio stream to a STEREO output. Its meant to be used for stereo headphones, and gives the illusion of surround sound on a 2.0 output. It should be disabled when using surround speakers. Also, subjectivly based on my experiance, Dolby Headphone does a good job with Front/Back audio cues, but not as good with left/right. Depending on the game in question, you might want to leave it off, rather then on.

As for Bass, ASUS tends to be rather conservative compared to Creative/Auzentech. Better then onboard, but not by much. Dolby Headphone helps, but as you noted, you lose some directional clarity as a result.

For Headphones:

SPDIF...
Dolby Headphone maps a 5.1/7.1 audio stream to a STEREO output. Its meant to be used for stereo headphones, and gives the illusion of surround sound on a 2.0 output. It should be disabled when using surround speakers. Also, subjectivly based on my experiance, Dolby Headphone does a good job with Front/Back audio cues, but not as good with left/right. Depending on the game in question, you might want to leave it off, rather then on.

As for Bass, ASUS tends to be rather conservative compared to Creative/Auzentech. Better then onboard, but not by much. Dolby Headphone helps, but as you noted, you lose some directional clarity as a result.

For Headphones:

7.1 Virtual Speakers shifter: Selected [Your personal Choice]
Dolby Headphone: Selected [Your personal Choice]

For 5.1 Speakers:
Analog Out: 5.1 analog [or whatever the setting is; I'm at work and don't have the control panel in front of me]
7.1 Virtual Speakers shifter: Selected [Personal Choice]
Dolby Headphone: Not selected

Solution

Kaylow

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Thanks dude =D! Yea i read in some other forum as well that Headphones were good to test out mid n high sounds and speakers are good for testing out the bass etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.