Extremely frustrated.

senjurio

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Before I begin... all drivers are up to date and most current bios is flashed, AND I am using win7 x64 home pro.
Sabertooth 990fx, 8gb corsair dominator(g.skill 8gb ripjaws for other test ram) Phenom II 1100T

Ok, I have been having the issue where I have 8 gigs of ram installed, but windows says 8 installed but only 3.96 usable. I thought at first that i had a faulty ram chip, so i replaced the dominator ram with 2 known good sticks of g.skill... same problem. RMA'd the motherboard because i thought that was the issue, same problem after new board. i have tried every configuration of the memory on the board, tried re-seating multiple times, same problem. set max memory in msconfig, same problem. I am at the end of my rope here, i have tried everything i can think of short of replacing the processor, which i am reluctant to spend the money on. Am I going in the right direction here or am i missing something?

PLEASE HELP, and thank you in advance!

Solution
Since the CPU pin appears to be the issue then my assumption is it still needs some more help. If the pin is bent further down then when the tension is applied what 'appears' straight really isn't. So I'd remove the CPU again, apply the tension bar and see where it lines-up.

This is very unusual but not unheard of as I mentioned.

If after re-repair fails AND you fell it's best to RMA then ONLY do the Cross-Ship option!!! A regular RMA is 3-4 (closer to 4) week process.
The BIOS is shutting down (1) stick to avoid damage and errors; 1024*4 = 4096MB and 38MB is typical for the BIOS to use of the other device operation.

The non-FX CPU's require either ASUS's DOCP or to raise the FSB to 240MHz (alternative CPU-NB Frequency to 2400MHz).

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX
Phenom II 1100T (3300MHz) - http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X6%201100T%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDE00ZFBK6DGR%20(HDE00ZFBGRBOX).html
CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65v

DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB | and properly seated.

Easier Way:
BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner -> DOCP
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
9-9-9-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Command Rate -> 2N
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz ; since the FSB varies use the closet value
DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v ; or closet value to 1.65v per BIOS menu
CPU/NB Offset Voltage -> Auto or 1.20v ; often the 4GB/stick needs additional voltage
Save and Exit

Manual OC Way:
BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual
CPU Ratio -> 14 ; 14*240MHz = 3360MHz/3.36GHz
CPU Bus/PEG -> 240MHz
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
9-9-9-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Command Rate -> 2N
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz ; since the FSB varies use the closet value
DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v ; or closet value to 1.65v per BIOS menu
CPU/NB Offset Voltage -> Auto or 1.20v ; often the 4GB/stick needs additional voltage
Save and Exit

IF the above fails then the quickest test for a 'bad' stick is to boot with (1) one stick then swap the other (1) stick as follows. IF one boot fails and one boot succeeds then you know the bad stick:
DIMM Slot:
CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | blank | and properly seated.

senjurio

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
sorry it took me so long to reply, have been very busy. i changed everything like you said, and tested all sticks of ram, all 4 individually, from both sets. though i am only trying to use one set or the other. two things, the command rate was not in "n" it was either 1T or 2T, is it supposed to be like that? and the cpu/nb offset wouldnt go as high as 1.2v unless it was on auto, so i left it on auto. the only thing i didnt have the same was the end frequency of the cpu, mine is at 4ghz. any other ideas?

Command Rate (2, 2N, or 2T) are all the same, and CPU/NB Offset Voltage is only necessary if you are having problems.

Assuming 'AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual' and 'CPU Bus/PEG -> 240MHz or higher' should work that is assuming your OC is stable. When I OC the last thing I do is to OC the RAM after I know the CPU OC is 100% stable, meaning there's no point in introducing another variable.

So...right now where do things stand? I was a little confused as to what problems you have now?

senjurio

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
same problem as before, 8gig installed, but only 3.96 usable. been using the computer as is (@4ghz) stable for over a month. just this ram giving me ***. i am at a loss right now, the only thing i can think of, as said above, is to try a different CPU and see if that will remedy the situation. i just dont have one available, lol.

Assuming, Clear CMOS (unplug PC for 5~10 minutes for PSU to discharge) Jumper Method - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

1. DIMM Slots (normal):
CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB | and properly seated ; failure
(TRY)
CPU: | 4GB | blank | 4GB | blank | and properly seated ;

2. RAM Problem - If one is a pass and the other a failure ; RMA RAM
A. DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | Stick1 | blank | blank | and properly seated
B. DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | Stick2 | blank | blank | and properly seated

3. DIMM Problem - If one is a pass and the other a failure ; RMA MOBO
A. DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | Stick1 | blank | blank | and properly seated
B. DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | blank | blank | Stick1 | and properly seated

Often using an aftermarket HSF with ANY metal in contact (HSF back plate or standoff) can cause a grounding short and exhibit similar behavior. Further, if your case has 'punch-out' standoff's ditto. The solution is to Breadboard and test.

senjurio

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Just to get a clear answer, COULD it be something with the processor? because it was very hard to seat into the socket. that is where my founding on that comes in to play. and i am using an aftermarket hsf, but all the mounting brackets are plastic. my case is also a antec lanboy air if that helps at all.

Typically it's not a CPU issue other than and more so on the older LGA 1156 where bent CPU pins have been known to cause in rarer cases 'missing memory'.

Since you posted a Sabertooth 990FX by default 'Memory Hole Remapping' is Enabled (64-bit), when it's Disabled yep 4GB (32-bit) limit. However, since I recommend you Clear CMOS that would have re-defaulted IF changed by error. IOMMU can be an issue with Linux.

Once in a blue moon a 32-bit partitioned boot or multiple OSes one of which is 32-bit can also cause this issue.

However, the numbers add up that exactly one (1) stick or DIMM isn't working.

Further, I've seen folks get a 4GB kit and assume very incorrectly that each stick is 4GB vs 2GB (2x2GB = 4GB total).

Post the following for each occupied slot using CPU-z http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

and
softwares-cpuz-04.jpg

senjurio

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
vope8h.jpg

i cant get the damn validate thing to work right, anyway, its showing 8192mb in single channel, which i assure you its inserted in dual channel config. if you want me to switch slots, or sets and slots and back and forth i can, but i have already tried and it always does the same thing. BUT it will work(or at least did before) if i insert it in single channel mode, but then i am only running single channel operation, which i would rather not do.

Best to leave TRC set as Auto. I've seen CPU-z screw-up 'Channel #' so I take it with a grain of salt. If Memtest states 'Dual Channel' then I'd rely on that, but in either case the BIOS needs to Enable both (all) DIMM slots.

Need another screen shot:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

I know you mentioned MSCONFIG, there should be nothing checked as follows:
Boot_OPT.gif

If as stated "...aftermarket HSF with ANY metal in contact (HSF back plate or standoff) can cause a grounding short and exhibit similar behavior. Further, if your case has 'punch-out' standoff's ditto." that also explains this behavior. In addition, sometimes a multi-boot (32-bit) and or partitioned HDD can also do this. I assume when you installed Windows it was clean and the HDD formatted i.e. totally 'clean install.'

You also skipped over this "...Since you posted a Sabertooth 990FX by default 'Memory Hole Remapping' is Enabled (64-bit), when it's Disabled yep 4GB (32-bit) limit. However, since I recommend you Clear CMOS that would have re-defaulted IF changed by error. IOMMU can be an issue with Linux..."

Verify Memory Hole Remapping' is Enabled.

If you're going to be re-installing the OS then when the Custom (advanced) screen comes up then use that option and BOTH delete Partitions and then Format.

Keep in mind everything on the HDD (SSD) goes bye-bye for good, and do NOT have any other drives (HDD/SSD) connected when installing your OS.

Let me know! :)

senjurio

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
K, it will be several hours, I'm using dariks boot and nuke on both drives. I'll let you know though, and thanks again.p.s. don't think its gonna help though, BIOS still says only 4 gigs.