Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a more thorough answer regarding RAM (1333, 1600, 2200)

Last response: in Memory
March 16, 2012 11:40:06 PM

I've seen a lot of discussions and threads regarding this subject already, they all seem to say that for most cases the average user won't notice speed differences between the three speeds listed in the thread's title. What bothers me is... if this is the case, why do they even make such speedy RAM? I mean, some people must buy it, right?

I've been hearing from a lot of tech-articles that RAM manufacturers will attempt to inflate prices because that one company declared bankruptcy lately. Right now I'm drawing out the last bits of life out of an old pre-built Acer. It came with pretty basic mismatched RAM dimms (a 1GB and a 2GB). I later got a couple of 2GB dimms to give it a boost. Even though it's mismatched, the computer seems to run smooth, and I don't think I even ever go over 4GB of usage. For my next build though... I plan on going for an i5-2500K and an HD 7850, I'm wondering if I should also up the RAM. And if so, how much should I upgrade? I don't think my dimms are more than 1333 right now... I know there was a nice website that could scan my computer, tell me exactly what I have and everything, but I've forgotten where it was exactly.

I use Windows 7, I plan on drawing up 3D models on sketchup and playing games like Diablo III.
a c 128 } Memory
March 16, 2012 11:51:26 PM

I noticed ram prices are creeping upward again. I chose 4 matched sticks of 1333 gskill for only $70 about five months ago. For video work, 16 gb can't hurt, but I can't tell you whether you should pay almost double for faster ram. My own take is that if speed is so important, why don't the oem boards utilize it? The answer is simple; oem builds want the maximum stability. I haven't seen it yet with most boards above 1600.
March 17, 2012 12:00:42 AM

This is what my upcoming mobo will support: DDR3 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066

I figure... I don't really think I will want to overclock (I doubt my 500 W PSU will like that sort of stuff anyway) so I think 1600 seems like a good bet. But when you say they "want the maximum stability", do you mean a lower clock-speed is considered "safer" somehow?

Oh, and while I will toy around with 3D programs, I doubt I'll go into video just yet. So that shouldn't be TOO taxing.
!