Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 ISO help

Last response: in Windows 7
January 2, 2010 11:32:07 AM

Hello i'm new here and recently bought a digital download of windows 7 64bit with two options of upgrade and clean install, with me running on vista 32bit currently it means I can only do a fresh install as the upgrade does not allow me to go to 64bit from 32bit through the upgrade manager.
My problem is that now I have burnt my iso data onto a disk using nero, when I boot from CD in bios nothing happens and my computer starts up normally? could anyone give me some help on burning the data and making it run?
any help much appreciated

More about : windows iso

a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2010 11:52:38 AM

Are you sure that you didn't just copy the ISO file onto the CD, instead of its real contents? That's a very common mistake for beginners to make. You need to tell your burning program that you specifically want to burn an ISO to a CD/DVD. You can't just copy the ISO file onto the disc in its one big piece and make it work. An ISO is basically like a zipped folder optimized for burning to a disc. There are really a ton of smaller files inside of the one large ISO file, and that's what needs to be on the disc, not just a copy of the large ISO file.
January 2, 2010 12:10:23 PM

it's possible that I did this, I tried to extract the ISO using 7zip and winrar but was "unable to open as archeive" for both. do I need to extract this ISO or copy it over to the disk a different way?
also thankyou for you reply
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2010 12:23:00 PM

cazwoo said:
it's possible that I did this, I tried to extract the ISO using 7zip and winrar but was "unable to open as archeive" for both. do I need to extract this ISO or copy it over to the disk a different way?
also thankyou for you reply

You're welcome; I was surprised at how fast you wrote back again!
I can't give you exact instructions on how to burn the ISO with Nero. (I use the free CDBurnerXP.) However, if you open up Nero and search its help for "iso", it should give you instructions. Basically, all you have to do is point the burning program to the location of the ISO file on your hard drive and stick in the blank disk. The burning software will handle the extracting and sorting of the files within the ISO.
In many (I might even say most) cases, it would work to extract the files using an archive program and then manually copy the files to the disk. (I've done it with 7-zip on some ISOs before.) However, just using the Burn ISO feature of your favorite disk-burning software is always the safer and easier way to go.
January 2, 2010 12:44:55 PM

i'm very eager to be up and running with win 7 :)  iv'e tried to search for iso help in nero but because i'm running the trial no help is provided. I selected the data burning tool the first time with only audio ripping and backup tools being the other choices. I will look for a different writing program to see if this helps.
thanks again
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2010 12:48:35 PM

Have a look at ImgBurn. It's good, free, and will burn the ISO to disk for you.
January 2, 2010 1:32:00 PM

thanks ijack for the link, I tried to mount image as well as folder but I am still having no luck, i'll try re-downloading the ISO format file and hope I was lucky enough to be missing data.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 2, 2010 3:35:24 PM

Press F2 or DEL (or whatever key is appropriate for your motherboard) as your system is booting to go into the motherboard BIOS. Look at the BIOS boot options to make sure the boot order is set to check the CD drive before the hard drive. If the hard drive is first, then it will ALWAYS boot, even if you have a bootable CD in the CD drive.
!