Any reason NOT to get a Canon G6 as a second camera?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 16, 2005 2:54:20 PM

So far I have many reasons to get one of those:

High MP
Uses the same battery as my 10D
Uses CF cards
Full manual controls
Fast lens
Large LCD screen
Swing out LCD screen

The only drawback I can see is size for a take everywhere camera, any
others?

Jean

More about : reason canon camera

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:02:15 PM

It is on the "big" size if you intend to carry it around with you
everywhere as a compact P&S digicam, but it's definitey a very good
camera, it's just not very pocketable.

Like most P&S digicams, you'll also run into problems focusing in low
light and shutter lag. Other than that, I find it a very capable
camera... considering the small CCD and high MP count, it also does a
good job of keeping noise levels down, without softening the image up
too much with in-camera noise-reduction.

If you don't mind the size then it may be a good choice for you, but
considering you already have a 10D, maybe a smaller and truly compact
digicam would suit your needs more?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:58:05 PM

I bought my wife one because of your very reasons. She loves it and it
takes awesome pictures considering it's few limitations. They are a 3x
zoom only out to around 105mm, but the lens is very fast and good.
Noise reduction isn't anything like the 10D and ISO 200 is about as far
as you can go. She uses hers on ISO 100.

Art
Related resources
February 16, 2005 8:11:46 PM

"Terence" <auriga_m38@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
> It is on the "big" size if you intend to carry it around with you
> everywhere as a compact P&S digicam, but it's definitey a very good
> camera, it's just not very pocketable.
>
> Like most P&S digicams, you'll also run into problems focusing in low
> light and shutter lag. Other than that, I find it a very capable
> camera... considering the small CCD and high MP count, it also does a
> good job of keeping noise levels down, without softening the image up
> too much with in-camera noise-reduction.
>
> If you don't mind the size then it may be a good choice for you, but
> considering you already have a 10D, maybe a smaller and truly compact
> digicam would suit your needs more?

I already have a very small S400 but it's lack of manual controls, slow lens
and poor performance at anything over ISO 100 leave me wanting for more. I
carry my 10D very often on my bicycle and coupled to a good lens makes a
somewhat heavy package, not to mention the room it takes.

Jean
February 16, 2005 8:14:16 PM

"Fyimo" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> a écrit dans le message de
> I bought my wife one because of your very reasons. She loves it and it
> takes awesome pictures considering it's few limitations. They are a 3x
> zoom only out to around 105mm, but the lens is very fast and good.
> Noise reduction isn't anything like the 10D and ISO 200 is about as far
> as you can go. She uses hers on ISO 100.
>
> Art

The zoom is 4X BTW and I know it can't be as good as a 10D, but it is
probably better than my present small camera (S400)

Jean
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:52:12 PM

Yeah - Canon A95

Pocketable & fast!

5 MP
Uses same battery as 10D
Uses CF cards
Full manual controls
Pretty fast lens f2.8
Large LCD screen
Swing out LCD screen
Less than 1/2 price of G6

Drawback - no hotshoe.

I never leave home without mine

Will

Former 10D user; now ecstatic *1st DS enthusiast

"jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> So far I have many reasons to get one of those:
>
> High MP
> Uses the same battery as my 10D
> Uses CF cards
> Full manual controls
> Fast lens
> Large LCD screen
> Swing out LCD screen
>
> The only drawback I can see is size for a take everywhere camera, any
> others?
>
> Jean

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:14:37 PM

OOPS ... A95 takes 4XAA batteries ... which I prefer.

Will

"Malevil" <nobody@nunaya.biz> wrote in message
> Yeah - Canon A95
>
> Pocketable & fast!
>
> 5 MP
> Uses same battery as 10D
> Uses CF cards
> Full manual controls
> Pretty fast lens f2.8
> Large LCD screen
> Swing out LCD screen
> Less than 1/2 price of G6
>
> Drawback - no hotshoe.
>
> I never leave home without mine
>
> Will
>
> Former 10D user; now ecstatic *1st DS enthusiast
>

> "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> > So far I have many reasons to get one of those:
> >
> > High MP
> > Uses the same battery as my 10D
> > Uses CF cards
> > Full manual controls
> > Fast lens
> > Large LCD screen
> > Swing out LCD screen
> >
> > The only drawback I can see is size for a take everywhere camera, any
> > others?
> >
> > Jean

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:19:05 PM

I love my G2 so much that I bought more of them (refurbished) as gifts
for daughters and their husbands over the past few years. G6 I would
love for the same reason (although not as cheap as the refurbished G2!)
As for A95...lens not as fast. Not sure about how many shots per
charge for the A95, you should consult www.dpreview.com
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:19:09 PM

I love my G2 so much that I bought more of them (refurbished) as gifts
for daughters and their husbands over the past few years. G6 I would
love for the same reason (although not as cheap as the refurbished G2!)
As for A95...lens not as fast. Not sure about how many shots per
charge for the A95, you should consult www.dpreview.com
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:40:35 PM

"jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> So far I have many reasons to get one of those:
>
> High MP
> Uses the same battery as my 10D
> Uses CF cards

Wow, I don't know that. Is the G5 the same?
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:28:59 AM

All of the Canon G Series camereas (I've only had the G2) are awesome!
However, I would consider them to be main cameras - there's no limit to what
you can do ... except you're not going to stick one in your coat pocket.
It's about the same size as my Pentax *ist DS with 40mm f2.8 pancake lens.

For me, the best camera is the one you have with you. That's why I vote for
the A95. I've gone thru an E20, D30 and 10D - all capable; but mostly sat in
a closet.

Now, I'm never without a camera!

Will

"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote in message
> I love my G2 so much that I bought more of them (refurbished) as gifts
> for daughters and their husbands over the past few years. G6 I would
> love for the same reason (although not as cheap as the refurbished G2!)
> As for A95...lens not as fast. Not sure about how many shots per
> charge for the A95, you should consult www.dpreview.com

February 17, 2005 2:32:53 AM

"Malevil" <nobody@nunaya.biz> a écrit dans le message de
> Yeah - Canon A95
>
> Pocketable & fast!
>
> 5 MP
> Uses same battery as 10D
> Uses CF cards
> Full manual controls
> Pretty fast lens f2.8
> Large LCD screen
> Swing out LCD screen
> Less than 1/2 price of G6
>
> Drawback - no hotshoe.

Forgot that about the hotshoe on the G6, I can even pop my 550EX on it...

Jean

> I never leave home without mine
>
> Will
>
> Former 10D user; now ecstatic *1st DS enthusiast
>

> "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> > So far I have many reasons to get one of those:
> >
> > High MP
> > Uses the same battery as my 10D
> > Uses CF cards
> > Full manual controls
> > Fast lens
> > Large LCD screen
> > Swing out LCD screen
> >
> > The only drawback I can see is size for a take everywhere camera, any
> > others?
> >
> > Jean

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:10:06 AM

In article <Jo-dnTN6RtkoQY7fRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, nobody@nunaya.biz
says...
> Yeah - Canon A95
>
> Pocketable & fast!
>
> 5 MP
> Uses same battery as 10D

Actually, uses 4 rechargeable NiMHs...

> Uses CF cards
> Full manual controls
> Pretty fast lens f2.8
> Large LCD screen
> Swing out LCD screen
> Less than 1/2 price of G6

Supposedly I'm getting a A95 as a freebie since the mizzus works a
certain amount of billable hours last year. She doesn't want the
camera, so I guess I'll just have to accept it. The pain...
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

In article <w6WdnVegY9QekonfRVn-ug@comcast.com>, nobody@nunaya.biz
says...
> For me, the best camera is the one you have with you. That's why I vote for
> the A95. I've gone thru an E20, D30 and 10D - all capable; but mostly sat in
> a closet.
>
> Now, I'm never without a camera!
>
> Will

That's my theory. The A95 should fit in my coat pocket - I'm hoping it
will allow more 'spur of the moment' photography.

--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
!