LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
hey there everybody

I want to overclock my CPU to 4ghz but I am not sure if it's a good idea with my current CPU temps. When running prime95 for a while. the max the temps hit is on 58 with my current cooling. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to overclock my cpu based on its current temps. Also this is my first time that I am ever overvlovking as I am new to the PC side of gaming. Il put a full list of my components down below for you guys to see.

Mobo: Gigabye P67a-UD4-B3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k currently at 3.3ghz
Cooling: ASUS Silent Knight II
RAM: 8GB Kingston
PSU: Corsair 750 watt (TX)
GPU: MSI RadeonHD 6950 Twin Fozr III #
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 plus 2x 200mm fans (front for intake and top for outtake), 2x 120mm fans (side for intake and back for outtake)

Also, like i said this is my first time overclocking so im not sure what to do exactly so any help with that would be appreciated. And an early thank you for all that help :)

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
There are overclocking stickies at the top of the overclocking section. Your chip is very easy to overclock because of the unlocked multiplier, two minutes of reading will give you a basic idea of what to do.

Is the 58c core temps or cpu temperature?

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

It's my CPU temperature. When running prime 95 it struggles to go over 57 degrees and max it will ever hit is 58. And thanks for that, i'm gonna look for a guide right now :)

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
58 is not bad at all, i would say that somewhere in the 70s is where you should start worrying (under full load), you should be fine to OC.

Thanks for that. a friend also just found me a guide could u help and tell me if its a good one: *link removed*

Sorry, I had to remove the link cause that guide is for an older BIOS that i have at the moment

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Hacker max Tcase temperature, or cpu temp is around 72c, so I'm sure your talking about core temperature. Mid 70's is fine for stress testing on the cores, but much too hot for Tcase temperature.

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Sorry, I'm completely new to all of this lol. But my core temps (core 0, 1, 2, 3) on my processor does not go over 58, but I don't understand the cpu temp bit :(

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
There are two ways to read temperatures from your processor. One is from a sensor at the cores, and the other called Tcase, it's referred to as CPU temperature as well. The Tcase sensor is at the heat spreader and will show cooler temps than the diode near the cores. Max Tcase temperature for your chip is 72.6c, so when you said you were stock at 58c on the CPU, I was thinking your running abit warm.

Mid 70's is fine for the cores when your stress testing, so you have about 15c or so to play with on your overclock.

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Okay while using prime95 to run a full load tests, these were my results using Coretemp:

Core 0: 57 degrees
Core 1: 58 degrees
Core 2: 57 degrees
Core 3: 56 degrees

This is what I have being referring to when talking about the temps of my CPU. I had being talking about each core.. Sorry i was a little vague in the question.. i never knew about Tcase temps. Is there any type of software that I can use to see my Tcase temps? Cause Coretemp don't show that for me..

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Everest is my favorite but I don't think there's a free version anymore. Speedfan is quite good from what I'm told but I don't use it. HWmonitor does a decent job as well but can be quirky and sometimes does a crappy job measuring voltage.