An awesome gaming rig or a lemon?

07tonzpau

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Hey guys i've spotted this gaming rig on ebay and it looks perfect to me, especially for normal Aussie prices.

here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230601414331&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:AU:1123

I know a lot more about laptops than PCs so i was just wondering if one of you guys who are old hats at this sorta thing can spot any glaring holes or things to watch out with it.

I'm planning on upping the processor to the 2600k and the mobo to the p for overclocking in the future too. =)

Thanks a tonne for the help!
-Paul

Solution
Well, when they don't give you the product name for a component, it means it is likely the cheapest one possible. I see 3 issues:

Upgrade to P67 Chipset Motherboard Only + $39 - What make/model? Do you care if it only supports 16x/4x PCIe 2.1 instead of 16x/8x?

750W PSU - Probably a cheapo. Skimping here could cause your whole system to die later.

Trial version of Win7 - WTF is that? Add AU $105.00 for a real version of Win7 Pro.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Well, when they don't give you the product name for a component, it means it is likely the cheapest one possible. I see 3 issues:

Upgrade to P67 Chipset Motherboard Only + $39 - What make/model? Do you care if it only supports 16x/4x PCIe 2.1 instead of 16x/8x?

750W PSU - Probably a cheapo. Skimping here could cause your whole system to die later.

Trial version of Win7 - WTF is that? Add AU $105.00 for a real version of Win7 Pro.

Solution

07tonzpau

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
LOL i totally missed the win7 trial version part hahahaha those cheeky buggers!

Thanks for the help, ill ask them which of the intel p67 mobos it is, which brands should i watch out for?

mmm yea i was looking at psu but i figured 750w was far more than the rig required so ignored it. again ill ask what brand, which should i watch out for?

this has been a steep learning curve!

Cheers
-Paul