Sign in with
Your question

I have 665 dollars to spend on a new graphics card and an SSD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2011 4:49:38 AM

Should I get a gtx 580 and a 64 gig ssd or a gtx 560 and a 128 gig ssd or 2 gtx 560 sli and 64 gig ssd or what? no ATI suggestions please. :non: 

I have:

core i7 920 D0 at 3.6 GHz
ASUS p6x58d premium mobo
12 GB (6x2GB) ddr3 1600 gskill pi series 8-8-8-21
Corsair HX 850 watt PSU modular
1.0 TB conventional 7200rpm western digital HDD and its sata iii too :lol: 
evga gts 250 512mb :D 
windows 7 ultimate

the gtx 580 im looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the gtx 560 im looking at:

I'm not sure im going to need the 128 gig ssd. all i plan to install on the ssd it is windows, sc2, crysis 2, skyrim, and common programs for now and i always uninstall games once im done with them. im going to make sure my temp folder and page file and torrent downloads are all on the HDD. so not sure if ill need 128 gigs. if i do everything to minimize writing to the SSD how long do you think the 64 gig will last?

obviously the 2 560's in sli will be better than the 580 for the same price, but i was thinking a 580 plus my gts 250 for dedicated physx might be cool and i hear doing physx in sli has a harder performance hit than having a dedicated physx card. but then theres the posibility of the gts 250 bottle necking the 580 in physx games? but also if i get the 580 the system will be more future proof as i could stick another 580 in there much later when the price is much lower. unless they make a 585 and discontinue the 580 before it has a chance to get low. would a 585 be compatible with a 580 in sli? was the 285 compatible with the 280? what are the odds of them making a 585? im thinking it wont happen as we are about to get to 28 nm (right?) so they will just release a 680.

anywho thoughts?

edit:

hory shet i just realized the 560's have 7.56 shipping while everything else has free shipping so technically i cant afford 2 of them..
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 5:02:17 AM

The GTX 580 is quite overpriced. Are you actually using a resolution where something better than a GTX 570 will matter anyway?
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2011 5:04:45 AM

1080p monitor. but i want to be able to run upcoming games on max with like 4x aa at 1080p
m
l
February 4, 2011 5:09:23 AM

Quote:
Just have to go out of the thread and come back into it for the links to work again. 580 is very overpriced but its the king of the hill so IMO its worth it. The MSI Twin Frozr 580 i linked has the 2nd best cooler. Only one better is the Sparkle but it's like 60 dollars more.

COuld always consider...

wait so those coolers are better than the whole water vapor thing nvidia was talking about?
m
l
February 4, 2011 5:24:47 AM

Quote:
Nvidia Vapor chamber cooling is good but MSI's coolers are far better.

Nvidia Reference : 3 Heatpipes
MSI Twin Frozr II : 4 Heatpipes

I think the MSI 570 is a good 12-15C cooler then a reference 570

what about this:

edit:

nvm it takes up 3 slots no second 580 in my future
m
l
February 4, 2011 6:07:53 AM

Quote:
Why would you pay more for reference cooling?

Well 10bucks more for a faster factory overclock wouldn't hurt. Plus i always prefer EVGA for Nvidia because of there customer service and i was able to trade in my GTX 295 for a GTX 580 :) 
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 6:21:09 AM

Quote:
While i agree EVGA is good... Spending more on a reference card then on a card thats going to run cooler and overclock higher is foolish

+1, unless you plan on stepping up to another card in the near future there is no point in going EVGA anymore in my opinion, the only thing they have besides good support and warrenty is the fact they have really high factory overclocks, even then you are over-paying.

Couple this with the fact that overclocking is something you can do on your own with ease now. I used to go EVGA all the time, but with ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, and Sparkle shining through with their amazing coolers, its hard to even consider EVGA anymore.
m
l
February 4, 2011 6:25:03 AM

Quote:
While i agree EVGA is good... Spending more on a reference card then on a card thats going to run cooler and overclock higher is foolish

spending 10bucks more on a faster overclock is foolish? Some people don't like overclocking so why not just get one that's already factory overclocked for only 10bucks more. Not unless you need 10bucks for your 2 packs of cigarettes lol. But hey its not like im the one buying the GTX 570 it's up to the guy that posted this forum lol.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 6:28:36 AM

Bigmac80 said:
spending 10bucks more on a faster overclock is foolish? Some people don't like overclocking so why not just get one that's already factory overclocked for only 10bucks more. Not unless you need 10bucks for your 2 packs of cigarettes lol. But hey its not like im the one buying the GTX 570 it's up to the guy that posted this forum lol.

10 bucks less, getting better cooling, and then having to deal with the painstakingly difficuly task of moving a slider in MSI Afterburner to match EVGAs factory overclocks?

Sounds like a better deal to me.
m
l
February 4, 2011 6:38:33 AM

Quote:
:Facepalm:

Dude.. You can use afterburner to change the clocks. You don't have to pay for a superclocked version. *** you can flash the stock card to the superclocked version for free

sweet bro! is this a argument or something lol? And honestly i didn't even know they had that MSI version yet i thought they only had it for the GTX 460 and 560 lol...I always did like the look of that MSI one better especially the bronze looking one. Not sure if that one is out yet though.
m
l
February 4, 2011 12:09:12 PM

so im gunna go with the msi gtx 580 and im just gunna wait EVEN LONGER to get an ssd. maybe by the time im done waiting theyll have memristor based lol
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 3:03:15 PM

I'd go with a 570 and an SSD, personally. I guess you don't really know how nice an SSD is until you get one tho. Sure it won't help FPS but man it's great having a super responsive system.
m
l
!