Sign in with
Your question

Freezing pc?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2011 5:41:13 PM

Hey guys,
I have recently had some trouble with my desktop. It is fairly old but I have always kept good care of it. Always clean on inside new fans ect.. yet recently my computer freezes up when ever I play wow. My video card does not run very hot and it has a very good cooling system. I am trying to figure things out suggestions that will not cost me much if anything? Its windows 7 on a gateway. 2GB ram, video card is a gt220.

Things I have done recently to improve it: Reformatted and reinstalled windows 7. I couldn't think of anything else to do.

P.S I was not sure which category to put this in.

Thanks for the help!

CK

More about : freezing

July 11, 2011 5:44:10 PM

Also the power supply is 850watt and I have not had any problems with it in the past year. Just recently.

I also did buy a new monitor and it seems to freeze more often with the 19" vs the 17"
m
l
July 11, 2011 8:12:32 PM

Bump can anyone help? Any more information I need to submit?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2011 8:50:33 PM

List your full system specs.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2011 8:51:25 PM

I'm thinking that you're problem is either a dying video card or a other component by the way.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2011 8:56:09 PM

megamanx00 said:
or a other component by the way.

???
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2011 8:59:56 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
???

I'm not a big fan of prebuilts. I've seen this happens with emachines and gateways where a dying motherboard acts that way and you think it's just the video card till the sound or USB dies. A bad modem also causes instability, but who uses those things now adays ^_^. Of course, if it's the motherboard going there should be some leaky capacitors that are obvious to see.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2011 9:01:18 PM

megamanx00 said:
I'm not a big fan of prebuilts. I've seen this happens with emachines and gateways where a dying motherboard acts that way and you think it's just the video card till the sound or USB dies. A bad modem also causes instability, but who uses those things now adays ^_^. Of course, if it's the motherboard going there should be some leaky capacitors that are obvious to see.

that is way better advice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2011 9:03:01 PM

there is a way to check your motherboard working properly.
You could try to put a usb and just try to copy and paste some data, sometimes this could be a factor in dying mobos.

That is irregular or erratic usb ports.
m
l
July 11, 2011 9:16:39 PM

The sound card is dying, but I do not see leaking capacitors or usb ports acting weird when I copy paste. I spent about an hr copying and [pasting things from my external harddrive. Als my usb wireless adapter works fine in all my ports.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2011 9:47:35 PM

Is it onboard sound? If it's a dedicated sound card try removing it
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2011 4:15:09 AM

Off the top of my head, this seems an unusual Gateway with an 850W psu. So please list your complete spec - model no, mods you have done, etc. Don't forget to tell us its age and the brand/modle of that psu.

"Not very hot" isn't a really useful description. Please DL and use CPUID's Hardware monitor, and let us know the core temp and vid card temps.

Another quick test you can run while you give us your spec is the Windows Memory diagnostic - while there are "better" ways to test memory, the Windows diagnostic is quick and has found a couple of memory errors for me.

Suffice to say there are several probable and possible causes of your problem.
m
l
July 12, 2011 6:28:48 AM

it is a gateway 505GR, I added 1GB ram changed power supply to BFGR450WGSPSU watt(Sorry idk where I came up with 850 from) and added a video card gt220. also had to replace the fan inside. Also upgraded from XP to 7.
The computer is about 8 years old.

the core temp is running at 66 degrees C, and vcard is @ 39 degree.

As of this moment I have not done any mods since early 2010.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2011 6:57:29 AM

NP with the 850W thing . . .

If your graphics card temp is 39C I assume you are talking about temps at idle, and that's fine. If your core temp is 66C at idle, your Pentium 4 is running too hot.

You could download Prime95 and Furmark to stress both the cpu and the graphics card, and use Hardware Monitor to watch temps. If the system doesn't freeze, error, shut down, or get so hot you have to stop the tests, then we can eliminate heat as the issue.

Memory: Have you tested memory yet? Use Start Button search for "Memory Diagnostic" (without the quotes) and click to run the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" entry that pops up. When you restart, you'll get a blue svreen while the test runs. If you watch the screen you'll see if there are any errors. In any case, the system will auto-reboot when the test is complete and a ballon info message will pop up (eventually) telling you what the results were.

Prime95 will also give memory a workout and if you get a "rounding error" you've likely got a memory issue.

When did you add the memory?
m
l
July 12, 2011 7:03:35 AM

same time i added the power sdupply and video card, all around january of '10. gonna do prime 95 and furmark and memory test now
m
l
July 12, 2011 8:53:19 AM

As of this moment Prime 95 and furmark had no problems, Computer did not auto shut down or cause any errors. During furmark my vcard got up to 72 degrees C and my core moved from 68-72 and is at 72 degrres currently with prime 95. I am doing the in place large FFT test.
m
l
July 12, 2011 3:29:41 PM

Have you tried running memtest overnight? Unstable ram caused the exact problem you described on my older build.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2011 3:32:35 PM

So your PSU is fine, your CPU is fine, and your GPU is fine. Since you're onboard audio is also crapping out looks like it just leaves the motherboard as the likely problem.
m
l
July 12, 2011 5:54:05 PM

I would also defrag the hard drive and run a virus check well you are at it. Just to make sure it isn't a problem with your OS or software before you go around replacing OEM components (sometimes very hard to deal with).

If at all possible test the problem on a fresh installation of windows before purchasing new hardware. alternatively you could see if anyone has another motherboard around to test with as it is the most likely issue out of possible hardware errors.
m
l
July 12, 2011 7:52:20 PM

I just reformatted a day ago, so its pretty fresh. No memory errors either.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2011 9:59:46 PM

A quick format does not exactly check for errors. Sounds like Jamie suspects something might be wrong with the Hard Drive, but then you might see other signs like Disk error messages and you might here the "click" of death sound when the hard drive continually tries to read a sector it cannot. At this point I'd be looking to replace the motherboard.
m
l
July 15, 2011 3:00:03 AM

maybe your operating system is having a problem,,, try to scan with a good antivirus the whole pc...
m
l
July 15, 2011 6:57:21 AM

up your ram voltage, worked for me
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2011 8:35:02 AM

A late thought . . . have you tried to repair World of Warcraft? (Click Help then Repair Tool on the launcher.) That once fixed a similar problem for me.
m
l
!