apowel34

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Here is my setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1Ghz (Brisbane)
MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum
4Gb Cosair RAM
NVIDIA XFX 9600 GSO
OCZ 650W PSU

Ive upgraded the BIOS to the most recent version, I'm having a temperature problem and I have done ALL the normal things to try and fix it. I am looking into lowering my CPU voltage via BIOS. The lowest setting it gives is 1.425V but when I monitor the voltage using HWmonitor or CoreTemp, it tells me 1.47V. It is defaulted on [Auto]. Is there a way I can lower the voltage under 1.425V? Thanks

apowel34

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
50-60C idle, 70C load.

I've tried everything.
-Blowing out all the dust in my computer. I don't have PERFECT airflow, but I do have my front and side fans blowing IN my computer, and my rear blowing OUT of my computer
-I have reapplied thermal paste, multiple times. I use Artic Silver 5, and I use the 'pea' method to apply. Not too much though.
-I have tried buying a new heatsink, that didn't do much. I don't have many options here because of the limited space I have in my case.
-I have updated/flashed my BIOS to the most recent version, I read somewhere that someone was having voltage issues which caused temperature problems, so I was thinking maybe my CPU voltage was too high. I believe it sits at ~1.47V give or take. I flashed and it didn't change anything.

Since your current heatsink is copper, I can't recommend a better one for the space you have. I doubt the temps will hurt the motherboard. Looking at cost effective solutions, you may not have any. Your board is very good, with lots of cooling on the chipsets. I'm all out of suggestions. Some of the cpus for your board are cheaper than a premium air or water heatsink. But they're also slower. Keep the cpu voltage on the lowest setting for now.