Nikon D70 spot meter covers 5% of the viewing area

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 16, 2005 1:27:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ok, this might be old news to many but I just came across Pop Photo's
review of Nikon D70 and it says that D70's spot meter covers 5% of
viewing area and not 1% as stated by Nikon.

http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_i...

Although, I don't have much regard for Pop Photo because I see them
mostly as advert rag but in this case they published something that's
not so good looking about one of their major customers.

Hmmm ... interesting.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:14:21 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ok, this might be old news to many but I just came across Pop Photo's
> review of Nikon D70 and it says that D70's spot meter covers 5% of
> viewing area and not 1% as stated by Nikon.
>
> http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_i...
>
> Although, I don't have much regard for Pop Photo because I see them
> mostly as advert rag but in this case they published something that's
> not so good looking about one of their major customers.
>
> Hmmm ... interesting.
>
> - Siddhartha

-------------
I just read through the review twice and nowhere can I find your reference
to the spot meter coverage. The center weighted metering layout is
discussed.
I know you must have read it so please point out where the spot meter
reference is located.
Thanks,
Don F
February 16, 2005 5:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> -------------
> I just read through the review twice and nowhere can I find your
reference
> to the spot meter coverage. The center weighted metering layout is
> discussed.
> I know you must have read it so please point out where the spot meter
> reference is located.

You read it twice ??

Here it is :
The D70 is the first DSLR with adjustable centerweighted metering, a real
plus (see graphs). But its spotmeter measures 5 percent of the viewing area,
not 1 percent as claimed.

Here is the full text (
http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_i... )
:
In May 2004, we published the world's first hands-on report of the new 6MP
$999 Nikon D70 ("War Is Declared!"). Now, using a standard production
camera, here are the results of our lab and field tests.
The D70 starts up and is ready to fire in a split second, faster than any
other digital SLR in its class. Its AF speed matches the earlier Nikon D100,
but it bests the D100 in burst mode. Our tests captured up to 12
fine-quality JPEGs at 3 fps and 144 normal-quality JPEGs at the same rate.
In RAW NEF mode, it was 4 images at 2.5 fps.

While bright, the viewfinder's magnification isn't the D100's 0.83X.
Instead, it's 0.76X. This means a slight tunnel-vision effect, but not as
much as the Olympus E-1.

The D70 is the first DSLR with adjustable centerweighted metering, a real
plus (see graphs). But its spotmeter measures 5 percent of the viewing area,
not 1 percent as claimed. White balance can be fine-tuned ±3 settings toward
blue or red. Custom white balance can be measured off a white card or copied
from a photo. Optional Nikon Capture 4 software ($99) lets you download
custom contrast curves or control the camera from a computer.

The D70's image quality is extremely high. In our color accuracy tests
comparing fine-quality JPEGs, the D70 beat the D100 and Canon's $899 EOS
Digital Rebel and scored higher than any other 6MP DSLR.

At ISO 200, noise was low, but higher than the Digital Rebel's. It also was
low at ISO 800. With moderate noise at ISO 1600, the D70 is, overall, an
exceptional performer.

Bottom line: If you can live with the lower magnification of the viewfinder
and a 1.5X 35mm lens factor (though a plus for tele work), the D70
represents a grand well spent.

http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_i...
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:26:37 PM

Pop is one of the few that will say something negative in a review if they
don't like it or question the way something was implemented on the product
if it didn't make sense.

I haven't read a Peterson's Photographic in 8+ years, but their reviews tend
to be all sugar and spice. Outdoor never seems to say anything evil either.

Perhaps some rags get pushed around by their advertisers more than Pop. Pop
has been pushed themselves, however.

bg

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ok, this might be old news to many but I just came across Pop Photo's
> review of Nikon D70 and it says that D70's spot meter covers 5% of
> viewing area and not 1% as stated by Nikon.
>
> http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_i...
>
> Although, I don't have much regard for Pop Photo because I see them
> mostly as advert rag but in this case they published something that's
> not so good looking about one of their major customers.
>
> Hmmm ... interesting.
>
> - Siddhartha

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ok, this might be old news to many but I just came across Pop Photo's
> review of Nikon D70 and it says that D70's spot meter covers 5% of
> viewing area and not 1% as stated by Nikon.
>
> http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_i...
>
> Although, I don't have much regard for Pop Photo because I see them
> mostly as advert rag but in this case they published something that's
> not so good looking about one of their major customers.
>
> Hmmm ... interesting.

As much as everyone seems to trash them the mag does pretty good. If you're
not reading it you are missing something. I subscribe to that one, Outdoor
photographer and Digital Photo Pro. I wish I had time for Shutterbug and the
one with all the nudes (American Photo?).
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:17:14 PM

Chuck <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote:

> Here it is :
> The D70 is the first DSLR with adjustable centerweighted metering, a real
> plus (see graphs). But its spotmeter measures 5 percent of the viewing area,
> not 1 percent as claimed.

That's all they say about it, nothing to back it up, and you believe it
because, what, it's in one of the lamest photo magazines out there?

It sounds to me like the author is confused between the "spot meter" and
the smallest setting of the adjustable center-weighted meter.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
February 16, 2005 11:17:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I never said I believed it, I just said it was in the text. I dont have to
believe it or not, I have a 20D.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:57:58 AM

"Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
> I never said I believed it, I just said it was in the text. I dont have to
> believe it or not, I have a 20D.

Which does not have a spot metering mode at all.
February 17, 2005 1:17:26 AM

"BG250" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> Pop is one of the few that will say something negative in a review if they
> don't like it or question the way something was implemented on the product
> if it didn't make sense.

Perhap so, but they still might not know what they are talking about. So,
the question remains - how did they determine the size of the spot meter?
Jim
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:28:46 AM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
> That's all they say about it, nothing to back it up, and you believe
it
> because, what, it's in one of the lamest photo magazines out there?
And thats exactly why I posted it to the NG. I don't believe any
company's marketing claims anymore that I believe Pop Photo's testing
methodologies. So I posted this so that if someone's independantly
tested it then maybe they could comment.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:50:21 AM

> Jeremy Nixon wrote:
>> That's all they say about it, nothing to back it up, and you believe
> it
>> because, what, it's in one of the lamest photo magazines out there?
> And thats exactly why I posted it to the NG. I don't believe any
> company's marketing claims anymore that I believe Pop Photo's testing
> methodologies. So I posted this so that if someone's independantly
> tested it then maybe they could comment.
> - Siddhartha

----------
You are probably right about the exaggerated claim but understand Nikon
never claimed spot meter coverage of 1%.
Nikon manual states (page 75) "camera meters circle 2.3 mm (0.09") in
diameter (approximately 1% of frame)."
The CCD is 23.7 mm X 15.6 mm which is 369.72 sq mm in area. The 2.3 mm
circle has an area of 4.15 sq mm (if I remember my math correctly). That
results in a area of ~.01 which is APPROXIMATELY 1% of the frame area. That
is the physical makeup of the camera.
I am sure that the light sensor may be influenced by the light surrounding
it to some degree.
I was curious enough to do a simple spot metering test to see the
practical effect of metering with the D70. I placed a chart with lines and
bold faced type about 18" from the camera and at a slight angle to the light
source. The D70 spot meter gave me a reading change of 1/100 sec. @5.6
vs.: 1/125 sec. @ 5.6 when I swept the chart at a distance change of <
3/16".
In other words, the spot meter measured less than 1/4 f stop change in
brightness *repeatedly* when rotated less than 3/16" about the same
reference line. That is a very small distance when looking through the view
finder even at the minimum focusing distance of my lens.
I realize fully that this is *not* a scientific test. It is meant only as
a empirical quick evaluation of the D70 spot meter as *I* would use it,
nothing more.
I know there are some with more knowledge than I have on the subject who
might be kind enough to add to the discussion.
Regards,
Don F
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:27:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:57:58 -0800, "C J Campbell"
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
>> I never said I believed it, I just said it was in the text. I dont have to
>> believe it or not, I have a 20D.
>
>Which does not have a spot metering mode at all.

Yes it does, it's just a 100% spot meter.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:50:21 -0500, "Don F" <donf11@NOSPAMhome.com>
wrote:

<snip>
> I was curious enough to do a simple spot metering test to see the
>practical effect of metering with the D70. I placed a chart with lines and
>bold faced type about 18" from the camera and at a slight angle to the light
>source. The D70 spot meter gave me a reading change of 1/100 sec. @5.6
>vs.: 1/125 sec. @ 5.6 when I swept the chart at a distance change of <
>3/16".

I was thinking of doing a similar test, but use a laser pointer spot
in a darkish room to identify where exactly the meter is (it may not
line up with the viewfinder oval) and how big it is.

Second thoughts; not knowing doesn't bother me that much.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

wrote:

>"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Jeremy Nixon wrote:
>>> That's all they say about it, nothing to back it up, and you believe
>> it
>>> because, what, it's in one of the lamest photo magazines out there?
>> And thats exactly why I posted it to the NG. I don't believe any
>> company's marketing claims anymore that I believe Pop Photo's testing
>> methodologies. So I posted this so that if someone's independantly
>> tested it then maybe they could comment.
>> - Siddhartha
>>
>----------
> You are probably right about the exaggerated claim but understand Nikon
>never claimed spot meter coverage of 1%.
> Nikon manual states (page 75) "camera meters circle 2.3 mm (0.09") in
>diameter (approximately 1% of frame)."
> The CCD is 23.7 mm X 15.6 mm which is 369.72 sq mm in area. The 2.3 mm
>circle has an area of 4.15 sq mm (if I remember my math correctly). That
>results in a area of ~.01 which is APPROXIMATELY 1% of the frame area. That
>is the physical makeup of the camera.
> I am sure that the light sensor may be influenced by the light surrounding
>it to some degree.
> I was curious enough to do a simple spot metering test to see the
>practical effect of metering with the D70. I placed a chart with lines and
>bold faced type about 18" from the camera and at a slight angle to the light
>source. The D70 spot meter gave me a reading change of 1/100 sec. @5.6
>vs.: 1/125 sec. @ 5.6 when I swept the chart at a distance change of <
>3/16".
> In other words, the spot meter measured less than 1/4 f stop change in
>brightness *repeatedly* when rotated less than 3/16" about the same
>reference line. That is a very small distance when looking through the view
>finder even at the minimum focusing distance of my lens.
> I realize fully that this is *not* a scientific test. It is meant only as
>a empirical quick evaluation of the D70 spot meter as *I* would use it,
>nothing more.
> I know there are some with more knowledge than I have on the subject who
>might be kind enough to add to the discussion.
>Regards,
I mounted the camera on a tripod looking vertically at a dark
oak-square floor, with a tile crossing in the center of the central
focus target. With the room lights and window, the floor exposure was
0.60 sec at f/3.5 and iso 200.

A sheet of white printer paper filling much of the field gave 1/10
sec. More than 2 stops difference.

I took a series of exposures shifting the edge of the paper across the
frame. In Photoshop, I opened the files and found which frames had
the transitions.

The width of the spot is between 234 and 265 pixels out of 6008. The
mean of these is about 250, which results in a circular spot with
about 15,000 pixels out of 6 Mpixels. Roughly 0.007 of the total, or
about 1 %.

It would be nice if the viewfinder got a red circle when in spotmeter
mode, so you could see just what is in it. It doesn't do this. I guess
one could overlay a circle on a full-frae print in Photoshop, and get
used to the relative size.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:44:52 PM

Rodney Myrvaagnes <rodneym@attglobal.net> wrote:

>It would be nice if the viewfinder got a red circle when in spotmeter
>mode, so you could see just what is in it. It doesn't do this. I guess
>one could overlay a circle on a full-frae print in Photoshop, and get
>used to the relative size.

I was under the impression it spot metered roughly on the
selected focus area, not the central spot. (At least it seemed to
work that way).

Is that not right?

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:44:52 +0200, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Ken
Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:

>Rodney Myrvaagnes <rodneym@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>It would be nice if the viewfinder got a red circle when in spotmeter
>>mode, so you could see just what is in it. It doesn't do this. I guess
>>one could overlay a circle on a full-frae print in Photoshop, and get
>>used to the relative size.
>
>I was under the impression it spot metered roughly on the
>selected focus area, not the central spot. (At least it seemed to
>work that way).
>
>Is that not right?

Mostly, unless focus is set to Closest Subject.. From p75,
Camera meters circle 2.3 mm (0.09½) in diameter (approximately 1% of
frame). Circle is centered on current focus area, making it possible to
meter off-center subjects (if Closest subject is selected for AF-area mode,
camera will meter center focus area). Ensures that subject will be
correctly exposed, even when back ground is much brighter or darker.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
February 18, 2005 1:43:30 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:44:52 +0200, Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk>
wrote:

>Rodney Myrvaagnes <rodneym@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>It would be nice if the viewfinder got a red circle when in spotmeter
>>mode, so you could see just what is in it. It doesn't do this. I guess
>>one could overlay a circle on a full-frae print in Photoshop, and get
>>used to the relative size.
>
>I was under the impression it spot metered roughly on the
>selected focus area, not the central spot. (At least it seemed to
>work that way).
>
>Is that not right?
That is correct. I measured it in the center. I don't know any reason
to believe it is different in other parts of the screen.

If the AF is set to "focus on nearest" the meter spot stay in the
center, acccording to the manual.

!