New Computer With $600 budget MAXIMUM.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Any ideas guys? I got $600 bucks to spend to make a gaming PC, btw OS, screen, mouse, keyboard etc not needed.

I got some other questions too
How do I know whether this CPU is good enough for this GPU?
I mean, like would AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 Graphics be good on AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840?
I'm planning to have them.

Also, in the modern day world, should I choose the number of cores over clock speed or vice versa?

And why is the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840 so damn cheap? What's the problem with it?

Thanks.
Semitech n00bie here.

Solution
GPU: HIS HD6790 ICEQ-X - HKD 1170 (Jumbo)
CPU: i5 2400 - HKD 1518 (Price)
MOBO: ASRock H61M-VS - HKD 480 (Jumbo)
RAM: TEAM TED34096M1333HC9 DDR-3 1333Mhz 4G Ram - HKD 295 (Jumbo)
PSU: ANTEC NE520C NeoEco 520W 80Plus 火牛 - HKD 490 (Jumbo)
HDD: Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II/32MB HDD - HKD 438 (Jumbo)

Total: 4391 HKD
Worked out just fine, just pick a case and your set.
Check out my siggy for a 600$ PC.

The 840 is cheap because it isn't even a Phenom. It's a rebranded Athlon X4 for OEM.

Current day, it's not about cores or clock speed anymore. True the clocks do have an effect but Intel has showed us even at 2.8 a chip can be godly. Also cores, AMD has showed us cores is not everything, Even the 6-cores are bested by say the i5 2500K. Though cores to matter in certain cases, not so much in gaming. More in visualization.

What is your resolution first of all?

2100 vs 810
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=82

Best Sub-200$ CPU
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859-10.html

Is a Microcenter nearby?

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
oh LOL no microcenters here I live in Hong Kong!

but we do have like 2 computer centers where they sell real components really cheaply. not as cheap as newegg of course but pretty much the same!

Haha, yeah I know of HK. I go there about every year for family. Dian Nao xing. Forget the pinyin.

Ummm that article is 100% accurate. Done by the forum. The 840 isn't as good as that bench says it is. It loses by a lot to most chips. The 955 is a better overall chip, the 840 may have "won" in that bench, but benches can be inconsistent, I really don't know how it beat the 955 and 2100.

It goes like this of the chips mentioned. 840<955=2100

You want a dual-core granted you'd get more with more cores IN SOME CASES. The 2100 gives you the best perf in gaming.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

LOL i love that place.
but anyways. mhmm.
im not sure if this is only a psychological thing or what but when i think of the i3s i think of the most rubbish processors on earth. cos. it's a 3 :/

dunno.
also arent intel motherboards more expensive? remember there's a $600 budget here :/

oh dear.
i just checked out the 2100 reviews on newegg. doesn't seem perfect :/

Newegg is bull **** on those reviews. People are retarded on Newegg. Ignore them, only listen to major reviewers. Newegg reviewers don't know anything, but they put there tech lvl as 5/5 but in reality, they know nothing.

Intel boards are just as cheap as AMD boards. Just check out my 600$ siggy. -______- said that quite a bit ago.

I just gave you several benchmarks that just showed that the i3 beat the 840, they beat the 955. Why don't you believe it.

Dominated
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1179-page6.html

i3 2100 Tops the AMD 940 (The 940>840)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Ooh. alright. I didn't notice the 840 comparisons!
Cos im planning to use the AMD Radeon HD 6850 Graphics card for my PC. Thought an AMD CPU would work better with a AMD GPU!

mhmm.
okay. ill stick with the i3. unless other people disagree. haha im useless when it comes to these.
is the 6850 alright?

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
okay great thank you!
mhmmm. is your $600 'siggy' http://squidoo.com/electronicandmore?

wow.

so. if i was to use 2100 and 6850 together, how big should my PSU big? Like what capacity?

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
also if i was to invest more and get a i5 2500 with the 6850?

and do you think 6850 is a bit too good for me and/or the i3?
really im just going to play games like fifa/pes, and cod/lfd2, not nessesarily the highest specs.

cos really i want this computer as cheap as i can ;)

Yep that is my siggy build.

Umm your PSU should be at least an 80+ 400w power supply. 80+ is just a label for efficiency. Anything without it, don't even look at it.

You should invest a little more for an i5 2400 or i5 2300, no need for the 2500. It's basically those two with a high core clock. Which really isn't that much more beneficial.

And judging from the games you just listed. The i3 is enough, just get the 6790 if can as well. It's not as good as the 6850, but pretty close. It's cheaper and will defiantly play any of those games you just listed.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
alright.
Mhmmm. PSU with 550 for 2300 and 6790 good enough? How do you know how much wattage you need?

And also, I don't understand, how did you choose the 6790 out of the hundreds of different choices? I'm still confused on how to choose GPUs, i mean, what specs am I supposed to look out for?

Haha good. I'm just looking to play FPS every weekend or so cos I'm still a student gonna do my GCSES (yeap british system here) but I still want to play sports games everyday cos at least they're in a window so i can switch programs when my mom comes in ;)

Seized, you should just give me the site your using and I'll just pick them for you or assist.

You want the one that is cheapest in your case, but a nice cooler to keep the GPU cooler is good too.

550 is the wattage. You want an 80+ Certified PSU remember.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Oops i seemed to have pissed you off there :/
Sorry. Mhmm.
Haven't decided on any parts. I might go with the 2300 i5 if I'm permitted. That along with the 6790/6850.
It's my first time building a PC. I have NO clue what's going on.

Ooh right. Where should I go know? I've sorted out the CPU, the GPU. I guess a 500 wattage 80+ Certified PSU would be good enough for everything. Should I choose the motherboard? Would you recommend 4GB of RAM? 6GB? 8GB?

Naw, you didn't piss me off. I don't exactly know what models of the 6790 are in HK. That's why I would need the site. Newegg US has 3 in stock currently. The Sapphire, XFX, and a Powercooler/color something like that.

Does Newegg.CN ship to HK?
http://www.newegg.com.cn/

Alright well, 500w 80+ is good enough, as for motherboard. That would be dependent on the supplier again. The ram, 4gb is enough, P67 only offers dual channel. So that is a setup of 2 sticks. (2x2gb, 2x4gb, etc. etc.)

Sorry if I sounded like I was mad, I'm not, it's just 1 AM.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Oh horrible results. I'm looking through a magazine from the two big computer centers here, and not a single 6790 :/ well this is the march 31st version, so hey, maybe in the next edition.

There's 6850 though, with asus, gigabyte, msi, powercolor, saphire and xfx. how on EARTH do you choose? :O

oh my. newegg is wayy cheaper. newegg us doesn't ship over?
but isn't dual channel not good enough for future investment? :/ i mean, what if i wanted to upgrade to say 6gb?

ill check now whether it does. you can go to sleep if you want!

Wait... What?

Well, Newegg US is Newegg US. It ships to US. Newegg CN ships to China, I know HK is part of China, though in a special case still. So does Newegg CN ship to HK. That way I could just give you the basis of the parts.

Just to let you know, case you didn't know, That's in US dollars, not HK. That'd be, say the 2100 is 130$. That's 130x7.XX to get gong bai.

Dual channel is the only thing that P67 supports. You wouldn't need to upgrade to anything more than 4gb.

Newegg is trustworthy, it's the most reputable and if not best in the US for computer hardware. You probably will need to ship it back.

What is the Magazine you use? The center may have an online website, most likely if it is at least modern.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Oops sorry I meant April 5th. The magazine's called PCM (Pc market), most famous tech magazine in hong kong. and it finds all the cheapest prices in hong kong. They only sell silly mugs and cups online gugh. pcmarket.com.hk

But I think here, the best way is to go to the two computer centers.
Haha yeahh of course! Wasn't expecting such a cheap computer!

Here's a bit more about Hong Kong's two cheapass places.
http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread47269.html

sorry. nope. newegg cn doesn't
shucks.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Pretty much yeahh..
Lol rubbish budget i know i have to fund this all by meself with my laisee money :(
you know what laisee money is right?

yeah.
:(

but that jumbo-computer website. i think i can get 10% off if i actually go to the jumbo computer shop in the computer center and bargain :)