Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Computer With $600 budget MAXIMUM.

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2011 2:45:11 PM

Any ideas guys? I got $600 bucks to spend to make a gaming PC, btw OS, screen, mouse, keyboard etc not needed.

I got some other questions too
How do I know whether this CPU is good enough for this GPU?
I mean, like would AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 Graphics be good on AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840?
I'm planning to have them.

Also, in the modern day world, should I choose the number of cores over clock speed or vice versa?

And why is the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840 so damn cheap? What's the problem with it?

Thanks.
Semitech n00bie here.
April 9, 2011 2:56:33 PM

Check out my siggy for a 600$ PC.

The 840 is cheap because it isn't even a Phenom. It's a rebranded Athlon X4 for OEM.

Current day, it's not about cores or clock speed anymore. True the clocks do have an effect but Intel has showed us even at 2.8 a chip can be godly. Also cores, AMD has showed us cores is not everything, Even the 6-cores are bested by say the i5 2500K. Though cores to matter in certain cases, not so much in gaming. More in visualization.

What is your resolution first of all?

2100 vs 810
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=82

Best Sub-200$ CPU
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Is a Microcenter nearby?
April 10, 2011 1:51:08 AM

But on here http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html this benchmark tells me the 840 beasts all in the 9xx series apart from 955 and the i3 2100 from the article that you linked. Is it accurate?

Woah woah woah! If it's not, what is it based on?
My resolution? I don't get it. For what? My screen specs?

Oh, and thanks for that second link, helped me tons!

Microcenter... what's that?
Related resources
April 10, 2011 1:51:55 AM

oh LOL no microcenters here I live in Hong Kong!

but we do have like 2 computer centers where they sell real components really cheaply. not as cheap as newegg of course but pretty much the same!
April 10, 2011 4:52:17 AM

Haha, yeah I know of HK. I go there about every year for family. Dian Nao xing. Forget the pinyin.

Ummm that article is 100% accurate. Done by the forum. The 840 isn't as good as that bench says it is. It loses by a lot to most chips. The 955 is a better overall chip, the 840 may have "won" in that bench, but benches can be inconsistent, I really don't know how it beat the 955 and 2100.

It goes like this of the chips mentioned. 840<955=2100

You want a dual-core granted you'd get more with more cores IN SOME CASES. The 2100 gives you the best perf in gaming.
April 10, 2011 6:03:39 AM

aznshinobi said:
Haha, yeah I know of HK. I go there about every year for family. Dian Nao xing. Forget the pinyin.

Ummm that article is 100% accurate. Done by the forum. The 840 isn't as good as that bench says it is. It loses by a lot to most chips. The 955 is a better overall chip, the 840 may have "won" in that bench, but benches can be inconsistent, I really don't know how it beat the 955 and 2100.

It goes like this of the chips mentioned. 840<955=2100

You want a dual-core granted you'd get more with more cores IN SOME CASES. The 2100 gives you the best perf in gaming.

LOL i love that place.
but anyways. mhmm.
im not sure if this is only a psychological thing or what but when i think of the i3s i think of the most rubbish processors on earth. cos. it's a 3 :/ 

dunno.
also arent intel motherboards more expensive? remember there's a $600 budget here :/ 

oh dear.
i just checked out the 2100 reviews on newegg. doesn't seem perfect :/ 
April 10, 2011 6:11:19 AM

Newegg is bull **** on those reviews. People are retarded on Newegg. Ignore them, only listen to major reviewers. Newegg reviewers don't know anything, but they put there tech lvl as 5/5 but in reality, they know nothing.

Intel boards are just as cheap as AMD boards. Just check out my 600$ siggy. -______- said that quite a bit ago.

I just gave you several benchmarks that just showed that the i3 beat the 840, they beat the 955. Why don't you believe it.

Dominated
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1179-page6.html

i3 2100 Tops the AMD 940 (The 940>840)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

April 10, 2011 6:53:44 AM

aznshinobi said:
Newegg is bull **** on those reviews. People are retarded on Newegg. Ignore them, only listen to major reviewers. Newegg reviewers don't know anything, but they put there tech lvl as 5/5 but in reality, they know nothing.

Intel boards are just as cheap as AMD boards. Just check out my 600$ siggy. -______- said that quite a bit ago.

I just gave you several benchmarks that just showed that the i3 beat the 840, they beat the 955. Why don't you believe it.

Dominated
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1179-page6.html

i3 2100 Tops the AMD 940 (The 940>840)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

Ooh. alright. I didn't notice the 840 comparisons!
Cos im planning to use the AMD Radeon HD 6850 Graphics card for my PC. Thought an AMD CPU would work better with a AMD GPU!

mhmm.
okay. ill stick with the i3. unless other people disagree. haha im useless when it comes to these.
is the 6850 alright?
April 10, 2011 7:17:37 AM

Yeah the 6850 is a great card. Never base a system off "AMD + AMD" or "Intel + Nvidia" it's a dumb decision to do that because you never get the full potential of what you could get. I made that mistake on my first build, but never again.
April 10, 2011 7:35:03 AM

also if i was to invest more and get a i5 2500 with the 6850?

and do you think 6850 is a bit too good for me and/or the i3?
really im just going to play games like fifa/pes, and cod/lfd2, not nessesarily the highest specs.

cos really i want this computer as cheap as i can ;) 
April 10, 2011 7:38:34 AM

Yep that is my siggy build.

Umm your PSU should be at least an 80+ 400w power supply. 80+ is just a label for efficiency. Anything without it, don't even look at it.

You should invest a little more for an i5 2400 or i5 2300, no need for the 2500. It's basically those two with a high core clock. Which really isn't that much more beneficial.

And judging from the games you just listed. The i3 is enough, just get the 6790 if can as well. It's not as good as the 6850, but pretty close. It's cheaper and will defiantly play any of those games you just listed.
April 10, 2011 7:44:21 AM

alright.
Mhmmm. PSU with 550 for 2300 and 6790 good enough? How do you know how much wattage you need?

And also, I don't understand, how did you choose the 6790 out of the hundreds of different choices? I'm still confused on how to choose GPUs, i mean, what specs am I supposed to look out for?

Haha good. I'm just looking to play FPS every weekend or so cos I'm still a student gonna do my GCSES (yeap british system here) but I still want to play sports games everyday cos at least they're in a window so i can switch programs when my mom comes in ;) 
April 10, 2011 7:48:13 AM

Seized, you should just give me the site your using and I'll just pick them for you or assist.

You want the one that is cheapest in your case, but a nice cooler to keep the GPU cooler is good too.

550 is the wattage. You want an 80+ Certified PSU remember.

April 10, 2011 7:55:49 AM

aznshinobi said:
Seized, you should just give me the site your using and I'll just pick them for you or assist.

You want the one that is cheapest in your case, but a nice cooler to keep the GPU cooler is good too.

550 is the wattage. You want an 80+ Certified PSU remember.

Oops i seemed to have pissed you off there :/ 
Sorry. Mhmm.
Haven't decided on any parts. I might go with the 2300 i5 if I'm permitted. That along with the 6790/6850.
It's my first time building a PC. I have NO clue what's going on.

Ooh right. Where should I go know? I've sorted out the CPU, the GPU. I guess a 500 wattage 80+ Certified PSU would be good enough for everything. Should I choose the motherboard? Would you recommend 4GB of RAM? 6GB? 8GB?
April 10, 2011 7:56:21 AM

Oh, and I'm just using newegg as reference here, I dont have an actual site to use :/ 
April 10, 2011 8:03:10 AM

Naw, you didn't piss me off. I don't exactly know what models of the 6790 are in HK. That's why I would need the site. Newegg US has 3 in stock currently. The Sapphire, XFX, and a Powercooler/color something like that.

Does Newegg.CN ship to HK?
http://www.newegg.com.cn/

Alright well, 500w 80+ is good enough, as for motherboard. That would be dependent on the supplier again. The ram, 4gb is enough, P67 only offers dual channel. So that is a setup of 2 sticks. (2x2gb, 2x4gb, etc. etc.)

Sorry if I sounded like I was mad, I'm not, it's just 1 AM.
April 10, 2011 8:07:55 AM

Oh horrible results. I'm looking through a magazine from the two big computer centers here, and not a single 6790 :/  well this is the march 31st version, so hey, maybe in the next edition.

There's 6850 though, with asus, gigabyte, msi, powercolor, saphire and xfx. how on EARTH do you choose? :o 

oh my. newegg is wayy cheaper. newegg us doesn't ship over?
but isn't dual channel not good enough for future investment? :/  i mean, what if i wanted to upgrade to say 6gb?

ill check now whether it does. you can go to sleep if you want!
April 10, 2011 8:08:35 AM

and is buying online trustworthy? especially from newegg.CN?
i mean, what if something's wrong? imma have to like send it back :/ 
April 10, 2011 8:14:50 AM

Wait... What?

Well, Newegg US is Newegg US. It ships to US. Newegg CN ships to China, I know HK is part of China, though in a special case still. So does Newegg CN ship to HK. That way I could just give you the basis of the parts.

Just to let you know, case you didn't know, That's in US dollars, not HK. That'd be, say the 2100 is 130$. That's 130x7.XX to get gong bai.

Dual channel is the only thing that P67 supports. You wouldn't need to upgrade to anything more than 4gb.

Newegg is trustworthy, it's the most reputable and if not best in the US for computer hardware. You probably will need to ship it back.

What is the Magazine you use? The center may have an online website, most likely if it is at least modern.
April 10, 2011 8:23:16 AM

aznshinobi said:
Wait... What?

Well, Newegg US is Newegg US. It ships to US. Newegg CN ships to China, I know HK is part of China, though in a special case still. So does Newegg CN ship to HK. That way I could just give you the basis of the parts.

Just to let you know, case you didn't know, That's in US dollars, not HK. That'd be, say the 2100 is 130$. That's 130x7.XX to get gong bai.

Dual channel is the only thing that P67 supports. You wouldn't need to upgrade to anything more than 4gb.

Newegg is trustworthy, it's the most reputable and if not best in the US for computer hardware. You probably will need to ship it back.

What is the Magazine you use? The center may have an online website, most likely if it is at least modern.

Oops sorry I meant April 5th. The magazine's called PCM (Pc market), most famous tech magazine in hong kong. and it finds all the cheapest prices in hong kong. They only sell silly mugs and cups online gugh. pcmarket.com.hk

But I think here, the best way is to go to the two computer centers.
Haha yeahh of course! Wasn't expecting such a cheap computer!

Here's a bit more about Hong Kong's two cheapass places.
http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread47269.html

sorry. nope. newegg cn doesn't
shucks.
April 10, 2011 8:28:37 AM

ooh shweet. check out http://www.jumbo-computer.com/main.aspx
hong kong's newegg. top right hand corner's the search. type the thing you want and it's there! there's three 6790. xfx, sapphire and his. i believe the currency is pegged to us 1 to hkd 7.75 or 7.85.
April 10, 2011 8:42:48 AM

What exactly is your budget in HKD? Is it the direct conversion of 4710?
April 10, 2011 8:48:50 AM

Pretty much yeahh..
Lol rubbish budget i know i have to fund this all by meself with my laisee money :( 
you know what laisee money is right?

yeah.
:( 

but that jumbo-computer website. i think i can get 10% off if i actually go to the jumbo computer shop in the computer center and bargain :) 
April 10, 2011 8:50:55 AM

OK Well I've used Price blah blah before. But not Jumbo. I'll see what I can cook up. I may have to go up to like... 5K HKD? Or just around 5100.

April 10, 2011 8:54:47 AM

Yup okay!

Another suggestion. Do you think maybe I should invest more on a CPU and less on a GPU?
Like in US dollars here, like maybe 160+ on a cpu and just about 100 on a gpu? would that work? cos i also do video editing and rendering :/ 
or maybe just compromise :/ 

just try make it as cheap as possible. cos i really am poor :( 
and thank you so damn much. you wont believe how happy i am :) 

Best solution

April 10, 2011 9:07:48 AM

GPU: HIS HD6790 ICEQ-X - HKD 1170 (Jumbo)
CPU: i5 2400 - HKD 1518 (Price)
MOBO: ASRock H61M-VS - HKD 480 (Jumbo)
RAM: TEAM TED34096M1333HC9 DDR-3 1333Mhz 4G Ram - HKD 295 (Jumbo)
PSU: ANTEC NE520C NeoEco 520W 80Plus 火牛 - HKD 490 (Jumbo)
HDD: Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II/32MB HDD - HKD 438 (Jumbo)

Total: 4391 HKD
Worked out just fine, just pick a case and your set.
April 10, 2011 9:09:57 AM

wow *** i love you to bits.
not being gay.

oh my. thanks soo damn much!
alright.
you can go to sleep now lol
April 10, 2011 9:10:17 AM

Best answer selected by SeizedBog.
April 10, 2011 9:10:59 AM

wait what does set mean?
April 10, 2011 9:11:33 AM

Hah, no problem good luck.
April 10, 2011 9:12:48 AM

Like, your done. In the way I used it, it means your good to go.
April 10, 2011 9:15:54 AM

oh lol grammatical error >:( 
it's YOU'RE ;) 
April 10, 2011 9:17:55 AM

would it be alright and get just 640gb of memory but a better mobo?
cos im scared this mobo wouldn't be good enough in say like 2 years.
and really i only need 400 gb :/ 
April 10, 2011 9:33:46 AM

Oh yeah, it's fine I just picked that HDD because it's one of the faster HDDs. Didn't want to recommend a slow one. OK well in that case I have two changed for you.

MOBO: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) P67,DDR3,LGA 1155,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B [B3 Stepping] - 1060 HKD

Thats 580 HKD. But you get a board that will last you for a long long time. It'll leave you with room for upgrades I guarentee.

Then just change the HDD to this one.

HDD: Seagate ST3500413AS 500GB SATA3 6Gb/s /16MB HDD - 287 HKD
This is a great HDD for the cost, so you save 151 HKD.

So in the end you only pay 429 HKD Extra, which totals to 4820 w/o a case.
April 10, 2011 12:54:56 PM

Ohh. 4820. That's slightly off my budget by a bit :/ 

Sorry for being picky here, but do you have a suggestion for a cheaper motherboard? Forget the USB 3.0, dont need it, really all i need for the motherboard is possible ram expansion and really that's it.
Cos i think the cpu's good for at least 3 years, same with gpu, and then i'll be in uni. unless you have another suggestion...?

Or could you explain why this one's good for a long long time?

Also, we could same some money off the cpu maybe. i've had a look, do you think the i3-2100 is good enough for the 6790? It's a hell lot cheaper!
April 10, 2011 12:56:04 PM

So really maybe just four slots. And that's it.
Well, what else is a motherboard for apart from audio card, gpu, cpu and usb? i have no idea :/ 

Also, what is the point of PCI slots? And how does the audio chipset affect your audio? Better quality?
April 10, 2011 8:48:31 PM

I've got a question for you Seized,( hope this doesn't sound rude) how long have you been studying computers?

..Because if your going to assemble this computer yourself I would suggest studying how to build the computer; your just asking a lot of questions.
April 10, 2011 9:00:43 PM

^+1

There is no telling how long a GPU will last. It all depends on how fast we advance. For instance Unreal Engine and CryEngine 3 are looking to boast PC's graphics. That may or may not effect. It all depends on your gaming.

ASRock P67 Pro P67,DDR3,LGA 1155, SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B [B3 Stepping]- 870 HKD

... Some of these basics you should do more research =P I'm not trying to sound rude here but it would be benefital if you did your own research as well. Some of these questions you've asked me... They're kind of obvious.

I'm assuming when you say 4 slots you mean ram slots? Then the Pro3 is the cheapest board that has that offering.

... The motherboard is for the HDD, Skeleton for your computer, it's the body of the computer, all the connectors mainly go to the motherboard.

PCI slots are for sound cards, older graphics cards, and just assortments of cards.

No it won't have an effect.

Seized, I'm starting to lean on the same boat as Zepfan on this. How long exactly have you studied computers. If anything fails, I don't want me to be blamed on this. You have to do your own research. Just because you know how to put the computer together or know what you need. Doesn't mean that is everything. You need to know the basics before you get in depth.

I suggest googling. That's not a proper verb, but dear god don't even try to correct me, it helped me. It should help you, look for large sites that have big forums, or just major reviews.
April 10, 2011 9:34:37 PM

^+1

You can't study enough, eventhough I am building my first PC this year I have been studying since October of last year so that I don't forget anything. Most of these questions your asking like "...[cheapest board with 4 RAM slots]" can be fixed by going to newegg searching for P67 boards, switching the order list to cheapest and viewing the pictures for ones with 4 RAM slots. I'm going to jump ahead and tell you that all P67 boards have AT LEAST 4 RAM SLOTS, but point-in-case is that its easy to read/look at pictures and learn what you need.

On the otherhand I'm glad that you came to Tomshardware where we have the patience to teach the OP's simple tricks like this to answer their own questions.
April 10, 2011 9:40:23 PM

^ He's in HK =P

April 10, 2011 9:42:30 PM

Yeah, I know kind of forgot about that, but amazon and other sites can do the same thing, I doubt that the way they filter results changes when on an Asian site.

....or does it :S
April 10, 2011 9:43:24 PM

True, options may be a little different though. But yes he technically could just look a the pics on Newegg.
April 10, 2011 9:48:45 PM

yeah, Youtube videos help too, I learned a lot by finding computer sites that also video them with their combo builds, so that people can learn from them.

Here is one that helped me,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo

I don't know how he would translate the words though, but at least I tried

PS. he is also funded by Newegg so I beleive he knows his stuff.
April 10, 2011 9:51:16 PM

Do they have a HK youtube?

Hmm. changing my location to Hong Kong doesn't change the language settings to japanese
April 10, 2011 10:06:05 PM

I feel like I'm the only user on this thread any more,

" Hey Hey, Listen" -Zelda

mabe that will help :D 
April 10, 2011 10:12:15 PM

HK is in China. Not Japan.
April 10, 2011 10:13:49 PM

LOL, thats funny, either way it didn't change the language options
April 10, 2011 10:14:33 PM

I guess our OP isn't on the thread, dissapointing
April 10, 2011 10:15:26 PM

He's just offline. Give him time.