Sign in with
Your question

Driver Cleaning Program

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2011 2:16:39 PM

I'm aware that the best way to clean out a system of old drivers is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows but I'm looking for a program that will clean out all the leftover files and registry entries of an old driver and I couldn't seem to find a good opinion article comparing different programs. This would be primarily for switching between ATI and NVidia cards since their drivers and control panels don't tend to play nice with each other. I don't care if the software is freeware or not, as I'll pay for it if it's good enough, would just like to know what you guys think.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 2:17:40 PM

Driver Sweeper for clearing out drivers.

C Cleaner for clearing out registry.
m
l
February 4, 2011 2:27:12 PM

I do have CCleaner which is useful for cleaning out temp files and stuff...but it just seemed to want to delete EVERYTHING in the registry and it made me nervous...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 2:28:36 PM

No, everything it detects to clean from the registry are broken links etc. It will delete nothing active or critical.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 2:43:27 PM

Yeah I use CCleaner almost weekly to clean my registry lol. Then I clean temp files and do a defrag.

But yeah Driver Sweeper for getting rid of drivers, although you should still do a regular uninstall before running it.
m
l
February 4, 2011 2:59:14 PM

Griffolion said:
No, everything it detects to clean from the registry are broken links etc. It will delete nothing active or critical.

Ha. Huh...I musta had a s***load of broken links...well that makes me feel better, maybe I will start using that on a regular basis for my registry. As for the driver cleaner it sounds like Driver Sweep is the general consensus...which makes sense. I'm generally a fan of the utilities Guru3D puts out...
m
l
!