Image stabilizing in pan mode DMC Z*

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 16, 2005 6:41:41 PM

Anyone know how the Image stabilzer works in the FZ 2 through 5
cameras when you are panning?

Do you need to select pan mode so the camera knows to track the
foreground pixels instead of background pixels?
February 17, 2005 4:02:43 AM

> Do you need to select pan mode so the camera knows to track the
> foreground pixels instead of background pixels?

I haven't used it but according to my FZ3 manual :-

- the shutter speed becomes slower than usual to achieve the panning effect
- in panning mode only vertical jitters can be compensated by the IS (and it
is fixed to mode 1)
- iso is fixed to 80

Says it does not work well :-

- in "very bright scenes such as daytime in summer. We recommend using an
ND filter"
- when the shutterspeed is faster than 1/100th
- when the subject moves slowly and the tracking speed is too slow (the
background cannot be recorded dynamically)

HTH
--
Tony
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11010

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:02:43 GMT, "cyclone" <tony@bigpond.com.au>
wrote:

>> Do you need to select pan mode so the camera knows to track the
>> foreground pixels instead of background pixels?
>
>I haven't used it but according to my FZ3 manual :-
>
>- the shutter speed becomes slower than usual to achieve the panning effect
>- in panning mode only vertical jitters can be compensated by the IS (and it
>is fixed to mode 1)
>- iso is fixed to 80
>
>Says it does not work well :-
>
>- in "very bright scenes such as daytime in summer. We recommend using an
>ND filter"
>- when the shutterspeed is faster than 1/100th
>- when the subject moves slowly and the tracking speed is too slow (the
>background cannot be recorded dynamically)
>
>HTH
Sounds like a mechanical system rather than a pixel interpolation.
Makes sense since the CCD sensors on digital cameras are still as slow
as film. People have been reporting that the mechanical stabilizers
really help with long lenses and low light. Almost a must have
feature till the imager technology improves.
!