Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Possible Liquid Cooling on new System

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2011 5:14:47 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm putting together a I should say "newer" system with some older parts and some new parts. This is what I have/will have:

Thermaltake Lvl 10 GT
Asus Sabertooth p67
i7 2600k (possibly OC to ~4.6)
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model
Nvidia GTX 460
Corsair 750w PSU

I might be forgetting something so please let me know.

My question is, should I be seriously considering Liquid Cooling, or should I simply wait and see whether my temps go too high before I do the investment?

Also if you have any comments on the build feel free :D 

thank a lot!

More about : liquid cooling system

April 9, 2011 5:34:23 PM

dethand said:
My question is, should I be seriously considering Liquid Cooling, or should I simply wait and see whether my temps go too high before I do the investment?
Hello dethand;

If the cost of getting watercooling will prevent you from upgrading your GPU (getting SLI GTX 460s for example) then I think it's a bad investment.

The same thing applies to getting that TT Level 10 case and Sabertooth p67 motherboard.

You can meet your (as yet the only stated) performance goal with a premium air cooler and one of the better gaming cases and a great motherboard like the Asus P8P67-Pro.

April 9, 2011 6:11:41 PM

thank you for your reply! My main focus is gaming. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU down the road. The upgrades i'm doing right now are the mobo, CPU, and RAM.

does this change anything? thanks again for the quick reply!
Related resources
April 9, 2011 7:34:56 PM

If your main focus is gaming, get the i5-2500k. It'll save you about $100 since games don't use the hyper-threading. Like WR2 said, the P8P67 Pro would be plenty. Also consider the ASRock P67 Extreme4. Both do x8/x8 SLI. For a stable mid-4s overclock, look at the Scythe Mugen 2. Best cooler for that price.
April 15, 2011 11:58:08 PM

thank you for you reply guys. Sorry for my late response. :) 

Best solution

April 16, 2011 12:19:25 AM

A) With the Level 10, you shouldn't need to LC
B) The Level 10 is not well designed for LC
C) LC is really only necessary with heavy OCs on every component, or lots of them (i.e. 3 GPUs).
April 23, 2011 2:19:01 AM

Best answer selected by Dethand.
!