Sign in with
Your question

9800 GX2 (problem on start up)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2011 3:50:34 PM

Hi there! I recently upgraded my PC and I left my 9800 GX2 from previous one. Whenever I turn on a PC, the primary GPU (marked 1) is not working (the control light is off) and there is "no signal" message on my monitor screen. But when I just wait a bit until XP is fully loaded, I can reboot the PC and the primary GPU is working again (blue control light is on). I have all NVIDIA control panel settings on default, and had no problem like this on previous PC. Is there some switch on this Graphic Card or some jumper to change? What should I do?

More about : 9800 gx2 problem start

a b Î Nvidia
February 4, 2011 4:25:05 PM

The is a pci-e switch that connects both gpus to a single pci-e connector but telling from your post it wouldn't be easy explaining how that works. However from what you have posted you do have a issue with your card that isn't normal. I suggest that you RMA your card if there is any warranty.
February 6, 2011 9:09:54 AM

nforce4max said:
The is a pci-e switch that connects both gpus to a single pci-e connector but telling from your post it wouldn't be easy explaining how that works. However from what you have posted you do have a issue with your card that isn't normal. I suggest that you RMA your card if there is any warranty.

And this is the main problem. It was made by BFG which ran down it's business... No warranty claims accepted, they are sending back RMA with a letter" BFG Technologies Inc. is in the process of winding down and liquidating its business. Unfortunately, our major supplier would not support our business. As a result, we are returning your graphics card without being able to repair it. We apologise for the inconvenience"

Read more: http://www.techeye.net/business/bfg-claims-to-be-runnin...

So, would You be so kind and try to explain how to do this. I have few IT friends so they would surely help me with this. Thanks for answering.
Related resources
February 6, 2011 11:44:52 AM

I've had a problem similar to this before with my old 9800GX2, Just to clarify you had a 9800GX2 and now are using a different 9800GX2?

If you upgraded from a different card as I did I fixed the problem by changing the card to a different PCI-E slot on the Mobo.

Sorry if this doesn't help, it might be worth a shot.
a b Î Nvidia
February 6, 2011 12:42:40 PM

This card has two PCBs with the main pcb having the main gpu and the only pci-e switch. The second pcb has the second gpu that connects to the pci-e switch and the main gpu. The cool thing about these dual planar cards is that when one of the PCBs becomes defective it can be swapped out with a live board. The second pcb can be removed and the main can be booted without it as a single. However these cards are becoming rare and are of a collectors value as being a 3rd generation dual gpu card.

1st gen was the 7800gtx duo and the 7900gtx duo. Also there was a very rare Quadro that was derived on this card and featured quad monitor support. They has the same PCB and cooling design as well the fist generation switch that often left the cards under performing and had numerous issues. I have two of these and finding a board that can even boot them is a challenge.

2ND gen was the 7950gx2. Same switch and gpu s (G71) but very different pcb and cooling design. This was the first dual gpu card from Nvidia that was meant for normal retail and was for a while popular before the 8800gtx had came out.

3RD gen was the 9800GX2. Featuring a much better and still popular pci-e switch that is much more improved compatibility. Two G92 gpus and a single switch. Like all the previous cards power is shared between both gpus.

4TH gen GTX295 and GTX295 CO-OP This card got it's start as a dual planar like all the other cards using two PCBs. The quality of the original is much higher than the newer co-op and often shipped with higher clocks. The co-op is the first dual nivida card to have two gpus on a single pcb that is of reference design. There have been several examples of dual gpus on a single pcb going back to the geforce 6 generation but were not an in house design and didn't feature a switch.

5TH generation The GTX 590 is a single pcb design like the GTX295 co-op.

The problems with these cards over the years is due to the fact there is two gpus and a switch. With all that can go wrong on a single gpu card gets much worse on a dual. Cooling is often a major issues with hot spots that often cause failure.
February 6, 2011 3:37:48 PM

Anny ways, as usual Nforce is ranting about nothing that will help.

By re-reading your OP it sounds like you totally upgraded your PC.

There's no company that made the 9800GX2 that is still producing them, nor will you get a replacement most likely.

If you upgraded your MOBO and experienced this problem I strongly suggest trying it in a different PCI-E slot. Some motherbords dislike the 9800GX2 and the other "Co-Op"/"Multi-GPU" cards.

I've had my 9800GX2 since they came out, and it still runs strong. Running BFBC2 maxed out at it's max resolution perfect with no problems, and farcry 2 hardly gives me any issues on almost max settings.

They are great cards and if it's an EVGA you really shouldn't have any problems.

In my knowledge I would blame the MOBO considering it sounds like you have a different one than before.
!