Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card + Wattage

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2011 4:37:30 PM

Ive just bought an Acer x3950 SFF tower.

It only came with the intergrated graphics and i was wondering what graphics card i could use without having to buy a new PSU or Case.

The main downfalls it that it only has a 220w PSU AND i'd need a 'low profile' card due to the slimline case.

Current Spec:

i3-550 cpu
5GB Ram (3x ddr3 Cards)
1x 500GB HD
1x CD/DVD RW combi
Front card reader

I put these into the 'eXtreme Power Calculator' and came up with:

Minimum PSU Wattage 154w
Recommended PSU Wattage 204w

EXCLUDING A GRAPHICS CARD

Is there a card (better than the intergrated graphics) that i could use without having to purchase a new PSU?

More about : graphics card wattage

a c 172 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 4:44:58 PM

5450 if you want an upgrade but getting one that has the low profile bracket may prove to be a little difficult but not impossible. It is good upgrade over a integrated gpu.
February 4, 2011 4:51:46 PM

nforce4max said:
5450 if you want an upgrade but getting one that has the low profile bracket may prove to be a little difficult but not impossible. It is good upgrade over a integrated gpu.

Well the 5450 puts it upto 212w (recommended)

When using the 'Extreme Power Calculator', is the number it gives showing the PSU wattage at full load?

Also arent the 5450's supplied brand new, with a low profile adapter?
Related resources
February 4, 2011 5:04:22 PM

Details of my PSU:

a c 172 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 5:20:41 PM

Your psu is good enough but one word of advice never use psu calculators as the figures are highly questionable. Any self respecting professional or enthusiast would never use one. That psu is good enough for the job and a 5450 will run just fine of that unit. I have an older version of that unit and after 5 to 6 years it is still going strong and held up to a 6600gt and a overclocked e1200 for two of those years without an issue.
February 4, 2011 5:35:12 PM

davcon said:
Best SFF psu upgrade i know of.I doubt you'll need it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
5450's don't draw much power i have a 4550 on a 350W Antec and it's fine.
The 5450 uses slightly less power then a 4550.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Cheers but that SFF PSU wont fit in my current case.

My current PSU is 54mm high and ive only got room for a 60mm high PSU before it hits the board and that PSU listed above is about 70mm high. :( 
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 5:39:18 PM

You don't have to worry about psu, it is not like you are trying to install 4 GTX 580 in quad sli or two GTX 590. You can just buy the card and drop it in. Don't over complicate these that card doesn't need much in terms of power and is often low profile pcb and all you need to worry about is finding one that has the low profile bracket.
February 4, 2011 5:47:56 PM

nforce4max said:
You don't have to worry about psu, it is not like you are trying to install 4 GTX 580 in quad sli or two GTX 590. You can just buy the card and drop it in. Don't over complicate these that card doesn't need much in terms of power and is often low profile pcb and all you need to worry about is finding one that has the low profile bracket.

This should do the job shouldnt it:

Its supplied with a low profile bracket:

a c 212 U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 6:05:54 PM

Many component vendor sites tend to be very conservative with their PSU calculators because peeps have a tendency to buy the cheapest thing they can find. The extreme power calculator is very reliable and is the same one used by Antec here with a different face on it:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

The calculators take into effect inrush curent, capacitor aging, etc which someone just "doing the math" from component specs would not account for. Remember, it's not about maintaining PSU functionality at load, it's about maintaining stable voltages (3.3, 5 and 12v) to all ya components at load.

From a warranty standpoint, I certainly wouldn't use anything less than the manufacturer's minimum system requirements

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

February 5, 2011 2:49:33 AM

Ive just been searching the internet for info regarding my x3950. Acer also sell this EXACT system with an i5 cpu (where mine is the i3). They sell it with the same 220w psu AND supply it with its own Nvidia Geforce 315 (512mb) graphics card.

According to the internet, this 315 card is 33w (max)

If acer factory fit a 33w card in a i5 system (using a 220w psu), then surely any card below 33w should work in my i3 system (using a 220w psu), shouldnt it.

What would be the worst case senario if i tried a card without changing psu??
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 12:24:28 PM

The system would be unstable and there would be occasional crashes but that is all as there is only a limited few cards that can be used with your system that you could even install. I still stand by the 5450 as being the best in slot card for you. Don't bother hunting after that oem card as it will be to costly unless you got a decent source for one. 38w at the most and that psu is not a cheap generic. One thing about that brand is that it is underrated wattage wise while quality is great.
!