Sign in with
Your question

Advice pls for - i7 2600k - Graphics Design Rig

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2011 11:04:33 PM

i7 2600k - Graphic Designers Rig

I'm building this rig in 2 separate phases this is mainly built around the way I'm getting paid. So next week I'll start "Phase 1" and at the end of April will be "Phase 2". This is my first serious post, be gentle with me, :love:  haha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date:

Week Commencing - 11th April 2011

Budget Range:

Phase 1 - £1000 - £1200 (£520 spent)
Phase 2 - £500 - £1000 (Depending on advice)

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

Vast amounts of Browser Tabs, Multi tasking like Music, Video and Programs open simultaneously, Uploading large files to the Internet and most importantly - Adobe CS4 (Soon to be CS5). I'll also be using Office 2010 and similar office based software.

Another big use will be Video Processing and Editing.

Parts currently used / may be keeping:

Keyboard: Wired Keyboard 600

Mouse: Stock Dell

Monitor: Acer 20" P203w
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-P203W-CrystalBrite-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B000VPHOZ8

2nd Monitor: 32" Samsung LE32A436T1DXXD
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsung_32_Inch_HD_Ready_LCD_TV_LE32A436T1DXXU/version.asp

Speakers Samsung Monitor Speakers

Local Information / Preferences

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ebuyer.com, dabs.com, novatech.com, overclockers.co.uk

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Parts Preferences: I would prefer to stick with brands that compliment what I already have purchased for this build, if possible. (Intel, Asus and Corsair)

Overclocking: Yes (Eventually when I feel the speed of the Rig starting to slip)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (Eventually in phase 2 - dependant on advice)

Monitor Resolution: At present I have not considered this, but suffice to say I will be upgrading my Monitors to much higher spec in May / June. I would like to account for this during this build.

Additional Comments: At present this Rig is set up in my Bedroom, next to our bed and my GF although never complaining sometimes suffers during my twilight working sessions, so quiet is a big priority, in order here's what I want to achieve;

1. Upgradability
2. Extreme Speed (with stability)
3. Quiet / Silent

"I hope I'm not asking the impossible on this budget"

PHASE 1

A list of any parts I have already:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K Processor / 6MB / 3.4Ghz
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/motherboardbundles/Novatech/MBB-I7264K.html

MoBo: Asus P8P67 Pro Intel P67 (Socket 1155) Motherboard
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/motherboardbundles/Novatech/MBB-I7264K.html

RAM (Memory): 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit

What I need to get still:

PSU:
(Something Silent and capable of running my current kit + SSD, Hybrid 500GB, 2 x Graphics Cards, Sound Card???)

Optical Drive: (Using current DVD Combi until Phase 2)

HDD / Storage: (Using current HDD until Phase 2)

SSD: Will I need this for my OS and Software??? Which size do I need, they are "expensive" so need small as possible to maximise GFX Card.

GFX Cards:

Card 1: SLI in future, BEEF right now... 1gb GDDR5??? Big help here as I'm very rusty with G.Cards.

Card 2: SLI / Crossfire in phase 2 so needs to be considered!

(This will be my 5 - 6th build, first SLI / Crossfire so super excited about that!)

CASE: I've been stewing over this for years, I used to favour SFF cases but now with a rig like this I know I'll need at least a Mid-Tower with superb air cooling and silence. So I've got my own short-list:

1. NZXT H2 Black Mid Tower Case
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/263600

2. NZXT Phantom (White / Special Edition White)
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=nzxt+phantom

3. Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White Case
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/249093

I really can't decide which to get so really need some advice here. The cost related to these three is so small I don't care about that, I want SILENCE and FEATURES!!!!

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!! LOL

Not sure about: Additional bits like Fan Controls, 3rd party cooling etc...(Phase 2?)

PHASE 2

If I can fit decent monitors into this phase too that's great, I'm currently using the 20" Asus P203w, to work and the 32" as a TV / Monitor. I'll be looking for a decent sound system / headphones too (Better than my Turtle Beach X11's anyway), 2nd PFX Card, Medium term Storage while working on large files, video / graphics, optical drive and all the other goodies that a decent rig like this needs: LED's, new Keyboard, Mouse, Drawing Tablet maybe would be nice!?

Optical Drive: Blue Ray / DVD Combi. Options please.

HDD / Storage: How about a Hybrid 500GB or is SATA 3 faster??? (I'm using a NAS Server / Storage Server (3 TB) so don't need large storage)
Seagate 500GB Momentus XT 2.5" Hybrid SSD/HDD SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

OR

WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache

Sound Cards: Optical Out / In (Not too worried about Surround Sound set-up although would be nice)

Sound System: I need at least a 2.1 something with a Sub, not too punchy, but high quality sound, I'll be using this Rig to watch Blu-Ray movies in my bedroom so something that will work well with that.

New Monitor Should budget allow, how about a new monitor...LED? Super high quality please, replacing my ASUS on my desk so reasonable size - 24" - 26" MAX.

Goodies: (For if the budget allows :)  )

Keyboard / Mouse:

Case Modding:

Tablet:

Headphones:

All your advice is VERY gratefully received and I will be checking regularly. THANK YOU!!

Things I know, would like to know, would NOT like to know...

I know: I know there's an issue with the P67 Sata2 on some Motherboards, I've already asked Novatech the question - "Is this the upgraded / new chipset?" I'm presuming it will come back with Yes as I brought the Mother Board last week. If it's not, I'll be suing them pretty soon after their reply.

I know: I could have brought these items separately and saved money or improved performance by buying other / similarly placed products from different stores or whatever. The reason I used NovaTech for this is I've been looking to just upgrade my current system and improve the Processor / MoBo, but as I could get the extra RAM for £40 I figured why not. I then figured that I may as well get a new case and new SSD as I'm half way to a new Rig....I then figured "F*$k it, I'm going to treat myself!" LOL.

I would like to know: How to make this Rig super silent without losing any power / speed.

I would like to know: Opinions on SSD, SSD Configurations, SSD OS / Programs / Data Installation recommendations and opinions on Hybrid Drives.

I would like to know: Which of these Cases I should buy:

1. NZXT H2 Black Mid Tower Case
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/263600

2. NZXT Phantom (White / Special Edition White)
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=nzxt+phantom

3. Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White Case
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/249093

I NOT like to know any more silent cases please! I've fully researched this and unless someone can come with a case that's less that £110 that offers more features / silent operation without losing any features (especially, SSD Accessible Dock, Front eSATA, Front USB 3, Silence, Aesthetics and needs to be Mid Range Tower) then I'm not budging from these three. PS I don't like the LANBOY I think it's Uuuugly nor would I like to know about other options for other systems that aren't based on my current Rig: Intel i7, P67 Mobo and 8GB Corsair Ram.

Finally...

Well I've tried as hard as I can to obey your rules for posting, I sincerely hope I get at least SOME conversation on this as I'm desperate for advice and don't want to ask the stores as I always feel their opinions are biased.

Surely there's lots of people looking for similar advice especially on the cases!!

Kindest Regards,

John
April 9, 2011 11:32:25 PM

Just as a minor sidenote: unless planning on a variety of 3d games/designwork, dumping money into SLI/Crossfire, or for that matter even a single expensive video card would likely be money essentially wasted.
April 10, 2011 11:24:52 AM

Thank you mdd, honestly I didn't have plans to play games on this rig, because Im into XBOX at the moment, I used to play Vietcong back in the day. So I would want the option for gaming later on. But mainly what I want is for CS5 and Video Editing.

Any advice on the case, does anyone use any of these cases?
April 10, 2011 11:26:03 AM

I use Illustrator and Photoshop...don't these require some sort of GFX Card? Or is it all memory driven?
!